SUGOi Tri Suit Review and Saucony Grid Sinister Review

>> Saturday, August 08, 2009

I’m kind of a sellout.

No, I do NOT have any Google Adsense advertisements on my blog, but I DO accept free things that people want to send me to try and then write about. So, like I said, KIND OF a sellout. Anyway, here are my thoughts on 2 racing articles that I was sent in the last few months.

• SUGOi Velocity Tri Suit:

I first wore this for the 2009 Apple Duathlon:



All I can say is that I’m REALLY ENJOYING IT!! I don’t have much else to say other than some “pros and cons,” so here’s my list:

Pros:
- Smooth and fast.
- Comfortable.
- REALLY cut down my transition times!
- The 2 pockets in the back are in the PERFECT spots. I can easily carry gels or bars.
- The chamois is TINY, and I thought that’d be an issue on the bike (sore ass). But after 1 du (22 mile bike) and 2 tris (25 miles and 21 miles), it’s made me a believer! No sore ass!

Cons:
- If my man-bits aren’t adjusted just right, they’re on display for the world. That really doesn’t bother me too much, but others might care. And this is an issue for ALL tri suits, not just this one specifically.
- It can get warm. But again, that’s an issue for ALL tri suits. And that’s why the zipper goes nearly down to the man-bits.
- This is a weird “con” I never thought of: pre-race, I have to get completely nude in a porta-potty even if I just need to pee. Not too big of a deal, but a little annoying. I’m thinking they need a butt-flap like old-school long johns... ;)
- As with many things in this sport, it’s spendy. It retails around $225.

I really give it my mark of approval! It works great for Duathlons, Sprint Tris, and Oly Tris! I enjoy it, and I’ll keep using it until it completely wears out! Thanks SUGOi!!

• Saucony Grid Sinister Racing Flats:

I first wore these in the 2009 Liberty Olympic Distance Triathlon back in June:


And look... I’m wearing the SUTOi Tri Suit too!...

I got these from OnlineShoes.com, which is a GREAT website to use! Really. This was my FIRST pair of Sauconys, and my FIRST pair of racing flats, so I was nervous. They didn’t have the cushioning I was used to, but they obviously needed to remove some of that weight somewhere (in order to get them faster)! And the lighter shoe with less cushioning held up just fine - no major issues. They worked GREAT in that first test: I ran a 39:33 10K at the end of the Liberty Olympic Triathlon! That was a 2:00 oly run PR! Thanks Saucony and OnlineShoes!!

As a bonus image, here I am half-way into the run at the Chisago Lakes Triathlon 2 weeks ago where I’m wearing the SUGOi tri suit and the Saucony racing flats:



Note: I still also use (and LOVE) my Zeal Sunglasses and my Drymax Socks. I’m wearing both of those items in all those photos above as well!! So thanks Zeal and Drymax!!

Have a great weekend everyone!! (Intervals tomorrow [Sunday] morning at 9 am at the St. Thomas track if anyone is interested...)

14 comments:

Carolina John 3:07 PM, August 08, 2009  

don't forget..... you look damn good running around in that sugoi tri suit. and their promo worked, I went out and bought a sugoi after you put up your first review of it.

Brandon 3:41 PM, August 08, 2009  

hey Steve, both T and I are both thinking of wetsuits for next years triathlon season. We both already love the DriMax sox that you seem to conveniently get for free. ;-)

Would you just recommend a tri suit or should we get a wetsuit?

Spokane Al 4:25 PM, August 08, 2009  

I have been racing in a Zoot one piece suit and like it very much. The bottom is black which helps with the man bits issue.

My only problem is that my race belt with my race number tends to slide up during the run. If I don't pay attention it seems to work its way almost up to my HR strap level.

I suspect that looks a bit strange.

And of course the peeing problem that you mentioned is a minor irritant.

But I do feel good and even a bit fast when wearing it, so I will continue as well.

Lily on the Road 5:32 PM, August 08, 2009  

manbits aside, so to speak, I love Sugoi products and only run in shoes by Saucony....

GREAT photo's Steve, (manbits aside)....LOL

TriMike,  4:02 AM, August 09, 2009  

hey Steve,

About the peeing with a trisuit on. Ever considered pulling up one of the legs (can't specify, since I don't know whether you carry left or right since you photoshop it out :-)) and let your man-bits hang out (inside the porta-potty, please) the leg!

You sure don't come from a cycling background, do you. There we can even do it on the bike :-)

See if it works for you.

Mike

duchossois 5:35 AM, August 09, 2009  

Sugoi makes quality athletic apparel. I have never been disappointed with their stuff.

Missy 7:44 AM, August 09, 2009  

I do like the one piece uniform for longer stuff - it holds my soft gooey center in nicely!

Alisa 8:32 AM, August 09, 2009  

My Sugoi tri shorts are by far my favorite, comfy and light with a great pocket...however, they were also my most expensive =).

And Saucony's...I HEART my Saucony ProGrid Ride's. I have finally found a running shoe that doesn't make my toe nails fall off, haha!

I really enjoy reading others do product reviews so I can try more stuff out there =).

Casey 1:31 PM, August 09, 2009  

I love those shoes! Aesthetically. I'm sure I would need the cushioning they removed to making them racing flats, but they look great!

Be grateful that the zipper doesn't go PAST the man-bits; could lead to some uncomfortable "There's Something About Mary" moments.

Lindsay 3:24 PM, August 09, 2009  

i love both sugoi and saucony! sugoi definitely has the best pocket-placement/availability on their products. i can actually carry a few things with me on my run!

Mel-2nd Chances 4:04 PM, August 09, 2009  

the going to the bathroom when in the trisuit is a chore for sure! Great reviews!

Greenking17 "TRI-harder" 10:35 AM, August 10, 2009  

Drymax socks are the best!!! Hands down.

CoachLiz 4:15 PM, August 10, 2009  

SUGOi and Saucony are two of my favorite brands. I think that the products are really well made and they hold up well to all the wear and tear I put them through.

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.