10 Quick Things (Athletic-Related and Not)

>> Tuesday, August 25, 2009

(#5 is interesting, #4 might surprise some of you...)

1. My running has been getting more and more serious. Almost too serious. I told Pharmie last week that I’m not enjoying it quite as much because I’m shooting for sub-60 in the Twin Cities 10 Mile, and I know I have to train HARD to have a shot at that goal. So running is feeling more like “work,” and less like “fun.”

2. I haven’t been lifting or doing as much core work lately.

3. I have a theory regarding those first 2 points. I used to LOVE lifting weights hard. For the past few months, I haven’t been into it. I think it’s because I’m trying to run so hard. Running hard has taken the place of lifting hard, so now I don’t care to lift as much. I’m already planning to hit the gym harder once “off season” starts. We’ll see.

4. This past weekend, I’ve had the most beer I’ve had in a LONG time!! I had about 1/8th of a glass. Yeah, not a beer fan over here...

5. My heel’s been SORE lately. I’ve been not running as much to rest it, so I’ve been focusing more on swimming (which doesn’t hurt it). I visited Dr. Folske (my ART Doc) yesterday, and he beat me up (in a good way). He did his normal ART stuff, but then he also tried to relax everything with an electrical current. FYI: “electrical current” and “relaxation” do NOT go together. He warned me that just 8 minutes of current on my calf would make me feel HOT all over. And it sure did! My hands were sweating all over the exam table. I actually started to feel light-headed near the end (I think because I was getting SO hot so quick). Dr. Folske saw me turning white and had me lay down for a bit. He said “Yeah, feeling hot is normal with this, but feeling dizzy - that’s a first!!” Glad to have been your first, Dr. Folske! Bottom line, the electrical current helped, so I’d do it again (if I had to).

6. Yesterday, I wiped out Menards’ stock of 1/4 inch by 1/4 inch square “dowels.” You know you’re being anal about remodeling when you buy 63 linear feet of tiny square dowels to add to the trim to make sure everything lines up JUST right! That’s me: Mr. Anal. Uhhh, that came out a little wrong...

7. The pool at the Y was being drained yesterday. It’s closed for 2 weeks for maintenance. Dang.

8. My last triathlon of the year is in 12 days. Pharmie and I will both be doing the St. Croix Valley Olympic Distance Triathlon in Hudson, WI. It’s not one of my “A races,” but I want to be able to have a good showing (let’s say B+). Then, after that event, it’s all about “the run” as I’ll be getting ready for the 10 Mile in Oct.

9. Last night, I went for a bike ride. I told myself I’d go “up to 30 miles.” I was really going to try to get a good ride in, but I didn’t want to fret about my pace. I hit the turn around and looked at my average for the FIRST TIME during the ride! I usually can’t wait that long. I had 20.0 mph at the halfway point, and I was feeling great. I finished the ride with that same 20.0 mph average. I ended up going 31 miles on a warm, windy night (20 mph sustained wind with lots of gusts). That doesn’t seem like a big deal, but usually when I say I’ll go “up to X miles,” it ends up being “X minus 5 miles.” So going “X plus 1 mile” is a BIG DEAL! Yay me.

10. “Professor Stenzel” comes out of his 2 week summer hibernation in 6 days. The Prof’s not ready...

15 comments:

kristen 10:07 AM, August 25, 2009  

1/8th of a beer...You better slow down before you end up at Bettty Ford.

The work might not be fun all the time, but reaching your goals sure are. Good luck with sub 60! And the triathlon.

http://gokristen.wordpress.com 11:05 AM, August 25, 2009  

#4 - Beer is goooood.
#7 - More open water swims!

Keep up the good work on all your training, it is inspiring :-)

Ryan 11:22 AM, August 25, 2009  

Dang! 10 miles in 60 minutes?

Go Speed racer GO!

Missy 11:36 AM, August 25, 2009  

I can understand, once it becomes a part time JOB, it's not so fun any more but then you're caught b/t wanting it so badly but there is WORK involved. Hard to balance for sure.

OH NO, only 6 more days! Enjoy it along with your anal dowels.

Kim 11:45 AM, August 25, 2009  

so do you take shots of straight up vodka?!

nice little informative tidbits! whats a square dowel by the way? it sounds dirty.

Carolina John 11:45 AM, August 25, 2009  

more running + less core work = more leg pain for me. get some core work in dude.

B.o.B. 11:59 AM, August 25, 2009  

You are training like a true running nerd now. And not just a tri nerd. Be careful not to overdo it though.

Good luck on the run and the tri!

Jen Feeny 12:44 PM, August 25, 2009  

Good luck on the Tri Steve!!!! :)

Chic Runner 2:19 PM, August 25, 2009  

Come out Professor Stenzel! ha ha that is too funny.

Good luck on getting in more core work and enjoying running. Before my first marathon I got way burnt out and hated my life and running. Be careful! :)

Michelle 8:48 PM, August 25, 2009  

Steve Stenzel your just plain awesome!!!

Unknown 11:22 PM, August 25, 2009  

60 minute 10 miler? That's not right! :) No wonder you dislike training these days... but your hard work is paying off. Remember to have fun sometimes though! :)

The Boring Runner 10:37 AM, August 26, 2009  

You better hurry up on the porch if you only have 6 days!

Anonymous,  1:07 PM, August 26, 2009  

Delighted to hear about the coming out of the enigmatic Professor Nippletoes. Long overdue, and not at all surprising.

REAL-LY!

Amytrigirl (aka Amybee) 10:31 PM, August 26, 2009  

you know, I had a conversation with myself today as I drove around Lake Calhoun on my way home from work. I told myself that I have to fall in love with running again. Not that I don't love it, I just haven't been feeling it.

Sounds like you have a similar feeling about it being hard and not fun right now.

I can't say it's been hard -- just not my thing. But people today looked like they were having fun and I rememberd that feeling.

I'll find it again and you'll have fun with it again after TCM 10 miler.

Karin 9:57 AM, August 27, 2009  

I use Fetcheveryone.com - Absolute love the way they track mileage and the comparison tables they give you for months & years. :)

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.