>> Tuesday, August 25, 2009
(#5 is interesting, #4 might surprise some of you...)
1. My running has been getting more and more serious. Almost too serious. I told Pharmie last week that I’m not enjoying it quite as much because I’m shooting for sub-60 in the Twin Cities 10 Mile, and I know I have to train HARD to have a shot at that goal. So running is feeling more like “work,” and less like “fun.”
2. I haven’t been lifting or doing as much core work lately.
3. I have a theory regarding those first 2 points. I used to LOVE lifting weights hard. For the past few months, I haven’t been into it. I think it’s because I’m trying to run so hard. Running hard has taken the place of lifting hard, so now I don’t care to lift as much. I’m already planning to hit the gym harder once “off season” starts. We’ll see.
4. This past weekend, I’ve had the most beer I’ve had in a LONG time!! I had about 1/8th of a glass. Yeah, not a beer fan over here...
5. My heel’s been SORE lately. I’ve been not running as much to rest it, so I’ve been focusing more on swimming (which doesn’t hurt it). I visited Dr. Folske (my ART Doc) yesterday, and he beat me up (in a good way). He did his normal ART stuff, but then he also tried to relax everything with an electrical current. FYI: “electrical current” and “relaxation” do NOT go together. He warned me that just 8 minutes of current on my calf would make me feel HOT all over. And it sure did! My hands were sweating all over the exam table. I actually started to feel light-headed near the end (I think because I was getting SO hot so quick). Dr. Folske saw me turning white and had me lay down for a bit. He said “Yeah, feeling hot is normal with this, but feeling dizzy - that’s a first!!” Glad to have been your first, Dr. Folske! Bottom line, the electrical current helped, so I’d do it again (if I had to).
6. Yesterday, I wiped out Menards’ stock of 1/4 inch by 1/4 inch square “dowels.” You know you’re being anal about remodeling when you buy 63 linear feet of tiny square dowels to add to the trim to make sure everything lines up JUST right! That’s me: Mr. Anal. Uhhh, that came out a little wrong...
7. The pool at the Y was being drained yesterday. It’s closed for 2 weeks for maintenance. Dang.
8. My last triathlon of the year is in 12 days. Pharmie and I will both be doing the St. Croix Valley Olympic Distance Triathlon in Hudson, WI. It’s not one of my “A races,” but I want to be able to have a good showing (let’s say B+). Then, after that event, it’s all about “the run” as I’ll be getting ready for the 10 Mile in Oct.
9. Last night, I went for a bike ride. I told myself I’d go “up to 30 miles.” I was really going to try to get a good ride in, but I didn’t want to fret about my pace. I hit the turn around and looked at my average for the FIRST TIME during the ride! I usually can’t wait that long. I had 20.0 mph at the halfway point, and I was feeling great. I finished the ride with that same 20.0 mph average. I ended up going 31 miles on a warm, windy night (20 mph sustained wind with lots of gusts). That doesn’t seem like a big deal, but usually when I say I’ll go “up to X miles,” it ends up being “X minus 5 miles.” So going “X plus 1 mile” is a BIG DEAL! Yay me.
10. “Professor Stenzel” comes out of his 2 week summer hibernation in 6 days. The Prof’s not ready...