My Monster Dash 5K Outfit

>> Wednesday, October 22, 2008

First, 2 other things:

1. Because of my previous post, I now know that there is a large percentage of closet “So You Think You Can Dance” fans out there. YES, I had a good time. YES, I realized I thought it was Will in one of my photos when it was really Twitch (both tall, dark, and handsome men). YES, it should have been Katee in the “door” dance, but she was injured, so they had Kherington in her place. You people out there are hilarious. I love you all.

2. I had a GREAT run yesterday. I did a 5 mile tempo run that I started a little easier, and built up some nice speed throughout. I hit the turn around at mile 2.5 at 15:14, which was stellar. I thought I could negative split the run and finish under 30:00. My previous fastest 5 mile run on the same route was 30:29 back in March. I’ve never been under 6:00/mile on a training run that was over 3 miles, but half way into that 5-miler, I thought it was possible.

Well, I got back in 14:22, for a total time of 29:36, WHICH WAS AN AVERAGE PACE OF 5:55/MILE! SWEET! That was a heck-a-va run! I think my problem in my recent 5Ks was that I was going out too hard. I need to hold back more, and keep picking up the pace throughout.

3. FINALLY, here’s my costume idea for the Monster Dash 5K this Saturday. I want to take “70’s Track Star Steve,” who you saw at the July 4th 5K...



...and combine him with “Grim Reaper Steve,” who you saw during the run at my last half Ironman:



I’m still figuring out what that will really look like, but I’m gonna do my best to make a “70’s Grim Reaper” outfit to rock during that 5K. And, like I mentioned before, I’ll be sticking around to cheer on the half marathon runners afterwards. Should be a fun Saturday morning!

25 comments:

IronGambit 2:53 PM, October 22, 2008  

You should run the 5k as one and the half as another :)

Julianne 3:44 PM, October 22, 2008  

I can't wait to see what you come up with! I love how you really get into the costume thing!!

Jess 3:49 PM, October 22, 2008  

First off congrats on a freakin' awesome 5 miler!

Second I am also really excited to see what you come up with! You are so creative when it comes to running in costumes!

ItchyBits 4:04 PM, October 22, 2008  

I think you should go as the Geico caveman dude. Of course that would probably suck running if its hot....then again couldn't be that much worse than the grim reaper.

J~Mom 4:06 PM, October 22, 2008  

I can't wait to see this!

Anonymous,  4:14 PM, October 22, 2008  

AWESOME run!!! btw, I love how you keep the "fun" aspect in all this training/ eventing - all done while kickin' ass.... good job. Looking forward to the race report already.

Steve Stenzel 4:16 PM, October 22, 2008  

Bettybetty, have you SEEN me with my shirt off?!? I'm practically already the Geico caveman!!

(much to my wife's chagrin...)

Kim 4:50 PM, October 22, 2008  

I love the expression on the face of that woman cheering at the side of your grim reaper photo, priceless!

jen 4:52 PM, October 22, 2008  

Wow, amazing 5 mile time!! Can't wait to see your outfit for the 5k. :)

brendaj 4:57 PM, October 22, 2008  

I caught the SYTYCD show out here, amidst the 600 screaming Katee fans! Glad you had fun too.

M*J*C 5:47 PM, October 22, 2008  

That should be sooooooo good! If you are ever in the market for a tutu or other dancewear to run in, let me know! I would be more than happy to supply it!

Jess 7:05 PM, October 22, 2008  

Sheesh, you are so fast! You can run 5 miles in about the time it takes me to do 3. Clearly, I need little jets on my shoes to keep up.

Michelle 7:32 PM, October 22, 2008  

Wow, Steve what a great 5 mile time!! What does it feel like to run that fast??? Gosh, i may never know.

Cannot wait to see your outfit or is it costume??

Take lots of photos!!!

Chad 9:15 PM, October 22, 2008  

Great 5 miler. Before you know it, they'll be having to put you in the Elite field. I'm sure the costume will be crazy...

Unknown 9:44 PM, October 22, 2008  

Awesome 5 miler! I was so happy when I cracked 35 min for a 5 mile run. You have some serious speed.

I can hardly wait for the costume you come up with. I'm sure I will laugh for hours.

Erin Leigh 9:47 PM, October 22, 2008  

Awesome on that run. Way to push it out!!

For some reason anything 70's does it for me, LMAO.

mrcs 12:39 AM, October 23, 2008  

Make sure you grease up your nips.

AddictedToEndorphins 1:46 AM, October 23, 2008  

You're amazingly fast. That makes me queezy thinking about how fast that is considering my fastest mile ever is about 6:40, and I wanted to DIE after that. and it was one mile.

Just make sure you get don't forget those nip guards this time!

Glaven Q. Heisenberg 3:44 AM, October 23, 2008  

29:36? Pfft! I could beat that ... in a 5k, maybe. On the best running day of my life.

You're so far out of my league that I can't even work up the energy to be envious. It's refreshing to to see someone as skilled as you be so generous, though: You go out of your way to provide laughs and encouragement to other runners, the vast majority of whom are like me - just way out of your league. You see that a lot on runners' blogs, but you bring the same skills and level of commitment to that that you bring to your athletic endeavors.

So mad propz to you, yo.

Mentally combining those two costumes I for some reason get a vague "Death of Roller Disco" vibe. I'm sure you'll come up with something better.

Congrats on the epic 5 miler!

Brian 4:46 AM, October 23, 2008  

top half grim reaper, bottom bowl of sunshine. best of both worlds. and really odd looking. sealed deal

Anonymous,  8:37 AM, October 23, 2008  

I may have said this before, but if you lived near me I would definitely be more motivated to train regularly and enter races instead of training lackadaisically and wimping out of races because of my lackadaisical training.

Anonymous,  9:39 AM, October 23, 2008  

Nice job on the run. Can't wait to see what you put together. And, I wish I could dance like the so you think you can dance kids.

Wes 5:06 PM, October 23, 2008  

You are blisteringly fast. Can't wait to see what you come up with :-)

LHE 9:57 PM, October 23, 2008  

"I need to hold back more, and keep picking up the pace throughout.". I NEED TO REMEMBER THIS! Thank you!!!

triguyjt 10:38 PM, October 23, 2008  

lets see what died in the 70's???

howa bout the pinto car...or the pacer???/

can you dress up as an almost dead car with the grim reaper??/

look forward to the photos

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.