Goals from 2011 / Goals for 2012

>> Thursday, January 12, 2012

At the beginning of 2011, I posted my goals for the year. I had 4. This is what I wrote:

- Train up for Liberty Oly as my "A" race. Sub 2:15!! Around 2:13 would be a-m-a-z-i-n-g.

- Use the word "lollygag" more often. It's highly underused, and it reminds me of my Dad.

- Chocolate. That's all: chocolate. Eat more... eat less... whatever. We'll see where this one goes.

- Run more. This is the big one. In the past, I would ALWAYS say "Oh, I need to 'let my running go' a bit and focus on making my biking stronger." Well SCREW THAT this year. I enjoy running! I'm going to do what I like and run!! I still LOVE doing multisport events, and I'll still race them as much as I can. But if my biking slides a bit, so be it.

Well, here's my "1-year-later" response to those 4:

- I missed Liberty because my wife was giving birth. I still wrote a "race report" though! :)

- Shoot, I don't remember saying I should use "lollygag" more often. I have to stop blogging when I'm drunk.

- Regarding chocolate: I've been eating more. I blame my wife (as most husbands do).

- My running mileage was a little less, but I spent about 2 months injured. It's always kind of a "jerk" thing to say, but I'll still say it: if I DIDN'T get injured, I would have had my highest running mileage year ever. If. Oh, and that part about letting my biking slide?... Yeah, I did that. In my "Year in Review" post, I noted that it was my lowest mileage year ever on the bike, and it was the 2nd year in a row where I ran more miles than I biked.


Here are my FIVE goals for this year:

- Run more. Henry likes this. I like this. It's the easiest to do with a little one around who likes stroller rides. So this one is a no-brainer.

- Stay as injury-free as possible. Again, a no-brainer. I need to keep up my PT leg exercises. This might mean less speed-work and more endurance work. I think I'm OK with that.

- Run as many of the "MDRA Grand Prix" races as possible. I'd love to see how I could do in a series that spans distances from 1 mile to 26.2 miles. (Here's a little more about the Grand Prix from a post earlier this week.) One side-note: I might end up cutting back some mileage if I AM able to race a lot - I find out that since I got old (about 2 years ago), my body / joints / tendons really need a few days of rest after an "all out" short race. So if I do more of these races, I think I'll end up putting in a little less mileage. So be it.

- Just "be fit." I started saying this at the start of the winter, and I'll be saying it for about another year. With Henry around, I'm not about to always be saying "Honey, you've got to watch Hank because I NEED to get in this 90 minute run that consists of a 20 min WU, then 6 descending miles starting at 6:20 pace dropping down to...." Nope. Not doing that. Training hard / running road races / doing triathlons is just a fun hobby of mine - I can't let "training" get in the way of important things like family. I still need to find a way to be healthy and "stay fit," but I'm just saying I might be doing more longish / easyish runs with Henry in the stroller vs short, hard, explosive workouts for speed.

- What should my 5th goal be? I'm taking ideas from you guys. In 2010, I finally stopped being annoyed at finish-line shot of me hitting my watch that I made it a yearly goal to get as many photos like that as possible. Here's what I came up with for 2010:



In 2011, I didn't really make it a "goal," but I ended up wearing my "Tutti Frutti" shorts for EVERY multisport race of the year:


2011 Duathlons: Apple, Gear West, Oakdale, and Cannon Falls


2011 Triathlons: Life Time Fitness, Waseca, and Lake Marion

So I've done watch shots and porta-potty shots (and even unofficial "tutti frutti wearing") as "yearly goals" - where do I go from here? What should my final goal be for 2012? I'm open to suggestions...

10 comments:

trimybest 6:42 AM, January 12, 2012  

Live up to your name buddy! Splish has some amazingly ugly speedos. Im doing it this year just to embarrass my family! an oly in only a seedo. Should be fun.....ive kinda got my eye on the double rainbow but we shall see!

Carolina John 8:36 AM, January 12, 2012  

I can highly suggest taking a specific number of workouts and hitting that. I set a goal this year to hit 300 days of yoga. You could try finishing P90X, strength training 4 days a week, yoga 4 days a week, something like that. Set a number of days on the week or days of the year to complete some task not related to run/bike/swim but that will seriously benefit run/bike/swim.

B. Kramer 8:55 AM, January 12, 2012  

Since you're a photo guy, how about as many photos of you running with Henry? Great line about not letting running get in the way of important things like family. Cheers!

Steve Stenzel 9:15 AM, January 12, 2012  

I like these ideas so far!

Trimybest: duh. It's about time I live up to my "Steve in a Speedo" name. Which race are you doing in just a Speedo? Buffalo? I want to see that!

John: I like that idea too!

Viper: This is good. We already have a photo of our intervals together... I could keep this up for the year!

Thanks everyone - keep them coming!

Evan Roberts 10:44 AM, January 12, 2012  

Lots of steady easy miles pushing a stroller can give you even more fitness than workouts. Quantity is quality after a while.

Mark Baker 11:23 AM, January 12, 2012  

Do a mud run. If you weren't so far from California, I'd definitely challenge you to one. (I know you'd win because you are much more athletic than I am, but it might get you in the mud.)

Sue 5:21 PM, January 12, 2012  

Whatever it is you choose, it should involve Henry. Maybe a pre or post race shot of the 2 of you?

The Triathlon Rx 5:37 PM, January 12, 2012  

I have full faith you'll figure out how to [safely] strap a car seat into that Burley!!

If it ends up being a Henry-goal, I think between you and Sarah you could get the worlds most 'human powered miles traveled' baby!! ;)

trimybest 7:42 AM, January 13, 2012  

I do plan on wearing a speedo at Buffalo if it is not too cold! If it's 40 ° like it was a few years ago I would freeze! Are you going to race Buffalo this year? it's awesome

Lisa S 7:02 AM, January 14, 2012  

More blog pics of Henry....maybe a pic of you two in matching speedos?

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.