Interval Ride (on Detour)

>> Sunday, August 02, 2026

I posted about a detour on my tempo ride a few weeks back, and I headed back out on those smooth detour trails for some intervals 2 days after that tempo ride. I warmed up around home for a while, and then I did 4x5 mile intervals with about 3:00 easy riding in between.

It was a busy morning on the trail with a few BIG running groups out there. Like a hundred people split into smaller packs. It was WILD. I'd never come across something like that before on my rides. That made me adjust some of my rest times either getting up to speed a bit early, or waiting until getting past a big group before starting an interval.

My intervals were splits 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, and 7-8:


East of split #8 is a freshly repaved trail, and I turned
around before it was the rough cruddy trail (at Randolph).


Here they are highlighted to see: in red, orange, green, and blue.

Yes, intervals #2 and #4 (the orange and the blue) were very similar on the map, but I was held up a BIT by big groups of runners in #2 (before they dispersed a bit for the day), and #4 didn't have me weaving under the 35E tunnel, so that's why #2 was my slowest and #4 was my fastest:

#1: 14:02, 21.4 mph

#2: 14:18, 21.0 mph

#3: 13:54, 21.6 mph

#4: 13:34, 22.1 mph

And then after a longer "cool down," I managed to get in 34+ miles on that ride.


Intervals highlighted under the red lines.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2026 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.