Three Runs in a Row with my Boys (and FAST Swimming)

>> Saturday, August 10, 2019

Once our time in the cabin was over, I had the boys with me 24/7 again. That first weekend we were home (Sunday, July 28), we did a long run together. And that was eventful. Unfortunately. I posted this on Facebook shortly after:



Here's a comment from a friend, and 2 retorts from me:



(In my last 2 runs, I've had a "good" encounter with another runner. On Tuesday, I slowly passed another runner and he asked what I was training for, what today's workout was, how far in I was, etc, before I took off. Super "good" encounter that lasted about 15 seconds. And on Thursday, I was out with the boys when I got a "Wide load! Go Dad!" from another guy. [I often get things like "nice pace dad!" or "looking good dad," but this was the first "wide load" I got, which was pretty funny and true with an 8-year-old and 5-year-old in the double stroller.] I quite literally can't think of the last time I had a "good" encounter with a cyclist. But as a sort of counter to this point, it's a lot easier to have a quick chat going 9 mph while running as opposed to when going 20 mph on a bike.)

A long-time triathlete friend noted a similar encounter as my first one, and we realized it could be the same guy just having a really horrible day:



And then I wrapped it up by showing the 1 block difference where we got yelled at by the first guy, along with where the trail markings clearly start:



Just an annoying run.

After all that, I pushed the boys for only 5.5 "hard" miles (instead of 6) because I was fried. I averaged 6:31 for those 5.5 miles. [10.05 miles total, 1:09:51, 6:57 overall pace]

Then 2 days later on Tuesday, July 30, I took the boys on an easy run:


CHILLY enough to need a blanket on their knees! A big change from the norm!

That was just a simple "flush out the legs" run. [7.17 miles, 53:02, 7:24 pace]

And then 2 days after that on Thursday, August 1, I took the boys to the track bright and early to do that track workout with my team I posted about last weekend:


Track full of runners. (As seen in this post.)

I had 4 hard miles on the track (as a pyramid), and I warmed up a solid amount. [6.34 miles total]

The day before that first eventful run, I had a great swim!! I can probably attribute it to being gone the few days before, so I hadn't done any hard strength work and was super "rested." It was a very very normal/basic workout of 200s (a very common workout of mine). I haven't felt fast in the pool for a while, and the last time I did a workout like this (about 2 weeks before) I averaged over 3:10/200 with the fastest one being 3:07.

This time, my SLOWEST was 3:02, and I held a lot of them there to start the workout! I swam 200 intervals of 3:02, 3:02, 3:02, 3:01, 3:02, 3:01, 2:54, and 2:55 for an average just BARELY under 3:00/200! Nice!

Then a few days later, I had a decent pyramid swim. It wasn't as amazing as those 200s, but still decent. I learned lots of rest helps me power through the pool!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.