Intervals with the Team (and the Boys)

>> Saturday, August 03, 2019

I hit the track with my YWCA team for some intervals on Thursday morning. I had told myself I'd try to get to the track once each month over the summer, but this was only my second time (the first being 6 weeks ago). In my defense, the 5 weeks of workouts between then and now were (#1) too close to the last time doing intervals, (#2) no track workout because it was July 4th, (#3) two days before a 4 mile race, (#4) three days before a triathlon, and (#5) four day after a triathlon when I have a "only easy runs for a week post-race" rule (plus I was still out of town on a family trip). So really, this was the next possible time to hit the track.


I had the fellas with me. We got there early to go over the rules, and they played well
during the workout. Henry read some Harry Potter as well. (He's half-way through book 3.)

I got in a 1-mile warm-up before we "officially" began. Henry did the group warm-ups with us, and everyone thought that was cute/funny. We did another half-mile warm-up, and we were ready to go.


The team before the workout. (Including Henry and Charlie in the front.)

The workout was 400, 800, 1200, 1600, 1200, 800, and 400. "Going up" at LT pace (6:00 pace for me, but I knew I'd hit them harder) with short 1 minute rest, then "going down" faster with 2-3 minutes rest. (I did 2:30 rest.) That's 4 miles of hard running on the track.

This is very similar to a track workout I did back in 2015, but this had shorter rests at the start, and I knew that'd get me. Also, back in 2015, I had a pace buddy, and this workout I did all by myself. So even though I'm feeling pretty good about my running right now, I was a BIT slower this time (in every interval) than I was 4 years ago. Here's what I ran on Thursday:

400: 1:22
800: 2:45
1200: 4:15
1600: 5:30 (2:47 and 2:43 splits)
1200: 4:10
800: 2:40
400: 1:17

5 seconds faster "going down" on each of the 3 final intervals. Nice.

My pace/lap for those intervals:

1:22.2
1:22.5
1:25.0
1:22.5
1:23.8
1:20.0
1:17.0

Notice the pace: it reflected what I was doing. I took it a BIT easier in the first 1200 (still faster than I should have been going if I were keeping it at LT pace), and then finally upped the pace in the 1600 when I knew I had more rest coming afterwards. The "going down" was BRUTAL - my legs were hashed for that final 1200, 800, and 400. I considered skipping the 400.


Teammates running.


Trainer Laurie (who leads these workouts) talking
with Henry about Harry Potter as Charlie saunters away.

We picked up all the toys and got to the gym for swim lessons. I was able to stretch next to the pool during lessons, and then we all got a post-swim/post-workout shower.


Charlie waiting to hop in.


Henry starting to practice diving in the deep end.

Yes, I found a "Level 3" for Henry and a "Preschool 3" for Charlie that were at the same time. #DadWin

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.