Oops... Injured.

>> Thursday, August 15, 2019

Well, it's be a good run (pun intended), but I've been forced to take a little running break. Hopefully not too long.

My lower left calf (my "bad" calf and Achilles) started getting a bit tighter maybe 2 weeks ago. I kept stretching and foam rolling well. Then on Saturday, it got quite sore at the BASE of my foot (on the inside of my heel right where the Achilles would attach to the lower/back of my foot). It's OK when the pain is in the calf, but I was always told it's really bad when the pain is down at the attachment site.


Where the pain is. (I've been told I have the feet of an African American woman. I don't see it.)

It ached Sunday and Monday, but I tried to keep stretching and rolling. I figured I'd try an easy run on Tuesday (when I was hoping for a tempo run) to truly test it. The boys and I headed out on our 5-mile loop along the river.


Beautiful views with the fellas all summer long. #Grateful

On this "test things out" run, I met Carrie Tollefson on a 16 mile training run (averaging 6:50s). She posted something about it on Facebook afterwards saying it was a "reality check," and I commented:



And then another friend saw me on my test run too:



Of course I have an audience during a test run when I'm just trying not to blow my foot off!

The run didn't go HORRIBLY, but as I turned for home 5.0 miles into my 5.1 mile run, that spot gave a twinge. Damn it. It wasn't a horrible pain - nothing "snapped." But it wasn't great. So last night was my 3rd overnight in "the boot:"


As comfortable as it looks. (With a sock on the top of my foot for cushioning.)

That boot holds my foot in a "flex" position which doesn't allow my toe to point which would allow my heel to shorten and therefore get tighter. This keeps it "stretched" all night so it actually feels great when I wake up and not super achy and horrible to take my first steps.

I saw Dr. Folske yesterday, but I didn't take any photos as the boys were with me and I was just trying to manage the craziness. He thinks it's just a little upset tendon where it meets my foot, and nothing too serious.

So as of RIGHT NOW, this is the plan:

- No stretching my calves (to not over-stress my heel).
- No eccentric heel exercises for a week for the same reason.
- Foam roll a lot.
- Wear the boot when sleeping.
- No ice (nothing inflamed), but heat when possible.
- Minor stresses (like swimming and biking [on flat ground]) are helpful to the healing process.
- Folske even said to try 1 MAYBE 2 miles this weekend, but I'm saying it's too soon.

Yesterday was a "bike" day, but I just did a short swim. Today is a normal "run" day, and I'll hit the pool for some aqua jogging. I'll probably swim on Friday, aqua jog on Saturday, and bike on Sunday if things feel OK yet. Dr. Folske made me feel optimistic, but I'm not planning on anything great right now. Taking this day-by-day right now.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.