Out of the Blue: BIGGEST WEEK IN YEARS!

>> Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Most weeks, I average around 20 miles of running. Some weeks are busy and I maybe do one 8 miler. Others are more open and I'm able to fit in a run every-other day.

Well last week, I did this:



That's 40.16 miles for the week!!

I recently noted that I had a big week in September where I ran 35.2 miles, which was my 3rd biggest week in the last 3.5 years. But I wasn't sure if I had out-done that during marathon training back in 2008. So I dug out my old training journal and found my biggest marathon training week before I got injured:



Ummm, yeah. That was only 30.5 miles for the week. So this recent 40.16 mile week was the biggest since cross-country training in high school. My junior year of high school (fall of 1997) would have been the last time I was running that much.

Here's what I did last week:

Monday I took Henry on a run when he was SUPER CRABBY because he was teething. He needed to nap longer, and he kept waking up in his crib. A stroller ride knocks him out!

Wednesday I did intervals at 4:30 in the morning as I noted in my last post.

Friday I took Henry for a run as soon as I picked him up from daycare because he was still napping in his carseat, and he tends to wake up as SOON as we get in the house. So I threw him in the carseat and did 8.5 miles with him! (Three of those miles were "pick-ups" and were sub-7, but the rest were easy.)

Saturday was totally "junk miles," but (again) Henry needed a nap. We were out for an hour, and we jogged a bit and walked a bit. We ran for a total of 3.1 miles or so. (And we stopped for Bubble Tea.)

And Sunday was the big day. Pharmie headed out for a long run (to get ready for her upcoming 50K trail race), and soon after, Henry and I headed out for a long run too. I knew I needed to log 12.85 miles to hit 40 miles for the week, and we logged 13.01!! It was a solid run with the middle HILLY 6.5 miles in 43:49 (6:44 / mile pace, with splits of 6:51.5, 7:14.7 [HILLY], 7:01.7 [HILLY], 6:58.2, 6:22.7, 6:13.6, and 3:10.9 for the final 0.5).




Post run I KILLED a big bowl of Fage yogurt (with honey)...


... and then downed an English Muffin smothered in PB&J.

So coming off such a (surprisingly) big week, I'm taking it a little bit easy this week. I was going to do a tempo run this morning, but I was too tired - maybe later today. The good news is everything is still feeling good - nothing is achy!

Stop back tomorrow for a super quick giveaway! And there will be another BIGGER giveaway in the next 10 days or so.

4 comments:

SteveQ 10:13 AM, October 17, 2012  

I once averaged 100 miles per week for a year. Just sayin'.

Carolina John 11:44 AM, October 17, 2012  

wow, nice! I'm trying to put together a 40 mile week soon. like next week. first time in a long time.

Steve Stenzel 12:18 PM, October 17, 2012  

I know... I know SteveQ. But for me, 35 is usually pushing it, so I was thrilled with my 40. ;)

And good luck John!!

SteveQ 1:13 PM, October 17, 2012  

I ran 1 today and had an asthma attack, so 40 for the week would be a dream.

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.