I'm RUNNING!

>> Thursday, April 21, 2011

Lindsey, my physical therapist, thinks I'm special.

And not in a good way.

When I saw her for the 3rd time this past Monday, we started looking at my leg length. When I stand up, my legs are perfectly even. My pelvis is in perfect alignment and everything is "square."

However, when I lay down, my left leg is a full 1 inch longer than my right. Lindsey has NEVER seen anything like that. Great. Glad to be your first, Lindsey. ;)

She gave me one more exercise to help "place" my femur into my pelvis more correctly. (Or at least that's how I understood it.) She warned me that this would be worse (meaning "more embarrassing to do in public") than the "Suzanne Somers" exercise she gave me 2 weeks ago. It looks like this:



It's hard to see from that image, but I'm basically squeezing a small ball between my knees while slowly "setting" my left leg back into my pelvis.

The best part of that new exercise? Well, that'd have to be the fact that the only ball I have that is about that size was one I bought a few years ago to use when I play with my cousins during the holidays. And that ball looks like this:



So if you ever stop by and find me rolling a pink "Girls Rule" ball between my legs, please don't look at me funny. Thanks.

But I'll do whatever Lindsey says because my running is progressing nearly pain-free!! If you'll remember, I "tested" it 2 weeks ago with a little speed on the treadmill. Last week, I took it easy (so I wouldn't over-do anything), and I tried my first outdoor run in a long time. This week, I've already had 2 runs that felt great during the run AND there was no achyness the next day!

On Monday, I did a treadmill tempo run. I warmed up for 1 mile, and then I moved straight into 4 miles at 10.0 mph (or 6:00 / mile). Around mile 1.5 of the tempo, I didn't know if I could hold it (but my heel was feeling fine). I ended up doing the 4 tempo miles in 5:59, 5:59, 5:59, and 5:51 (bumped it up to 10.5 mph [5:42 / mile] for the last 0.5 mile). That was 23:51 total for those 4 miles. I forgot to bring a "good" running shirt to the Y, so my cotton shirt was a little sweaty when I got done:



And then yesterday (Wednesday), I did a longer, easier run (again on a treadmill). I did 6.5 miles in 48:07. That's my longest run since the end of January when I got injured! I started easy, and bumped up the pace every 0.5 mile for the first 2 miles, and then just held it at 8.5 mph (7:03 / mile): 8:37, 7:44, 7:03, 7:02, 7:03, 7:02, and 3:32 (last 0.5).

With both of those runs, there was a little heel ache around mile 1.5, but that went away quickly and never returned. (It was like a 0.5-1.0 on a 1-10 pain scale.)

Tomorrow afternoon, if the weather lets me, I hope to do that "Duathlon Workout" that I've done a few times in the past. It's the one where you set up your bike on a trainer at the track, and basically do 4 intervals of 10:00 on the bike followed by a 1 mile run with transitions as quick as possible. (The bike is 30 sec hard, 30 sec easy, repeated for 10 minutes each time [well, for 9:30 each time because you're supposed to skip the final "easy" 30 sec].) If it's raining, I might try doing it out of my garage and just run down the street. Whatever happens, I feel like I NEED to get in a solid brick workout, because the first multisport race of the year is in 9 days!! I hope it stops snowing by then. Sheesh.



11 comments:

Unknown 9:42 AM, April 21, 2011  

It snowed here this morning too! I can't believe this winter! Glad to hear your foot is feeling better!

CautiouslyAudacious 9:53 AM, April 21, 2011  

I'm glad we're done with snow but we have winds to contend with. Great progress on the running!

Jill 10:06 AM, April 21, 2011  

Glad to hear the PT is working for you, gives me hope (have been there 11 times now without a whole lot of progress). My PT told me the other day maybe I should use a rating scale of 1-10 instead of 1-5 if I was going to use the decimal system in my rating (3.45, 2.78, 4.43, etc) :).

Penny 10:34 AM, April 21, 2011  

Glad the PT is helping you. Congrats on your longest run since Jan. I myself have been to a PT recently for an running injury. My PT is awesome to. She has help me greatly with getting back to running. Keep up the good work.

Michelle 10:59 AM, April 21, 2011  

Glad to hear the running is coming along! I'll be thinking about you and your yellow shorts this weekend. It's the Pine Line race in Medford. Wonder if anyone will ask me about you!?

Christi 11:04 AM, April 21, 2011  

YAY for pain-free running!

Jamie 12:14 PM, April 21, 2011  

Great to hear you are running pain free! Isn't it great!

The Triathlon Rx 7:38 PM, April 21, 2011  

You and I need to get together and talk PT... or maybe LINDSEY and I need to get together and talk PT. :) Either way, good to hear the update!

Richelle 8:23 PM, April 21, 2011  

Glad that you're running and that your heel isn't causing you trouble!

Beth 9:10 PM, April 21, 2011  

I'm with you, enough of the snow already. Hope your workout goes well- it's a great idea and sounds like a lot of fun. Good luck with your girlie ball, too. :)

GoBigGreen 11:21 AM, April 22, 2011  

Left AIC, get yourself shifted into your L hip, that's the short story of my life Steve. Welcome to the club. Its actually pretty common:)
Glad you are back at it!!

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.