Friday Funny 148: Inadvertent Insult and Unintended Compliment

>> Friday, January 14, 2011

Let's start with the "bad news" first - the insult.

I was swimming last week, and I was sharing a lane with a high-school girl who was OBVIOUSLY on some sort of swim team. We end up at the end of the pool together after my swim but before my cool down. Then she asks me an innocent question:

"Did you USED TO be a swimmer?"

Did she HAVE to say "used to?"

Because obviously my form is such horse crap now that there's little sign I ever knew how to do this...

I answered her with a little laugh and simply said "No, I'm just a slow swimming triathlete who's trying to get faster."

She smiled and let me get on my with my depression. Thanks girlie. Thanks.



Now, to get my ego back, we'll end with the "unintended compliment."

After my "Meet of the Miles" 1 mile race, Sean told me he was chatting with RR, a well-known, old-school Minnesotan runner. R said the following to Sean during my heat:

"Steve sure doesn't LOOK like a distance runner..."

I know, I know... that one could go either way. But what he meant was that I had more upper body muscle than most runners who I can hang with. (Not a lot more, just a little - I'm no Hulk.)

R said that because I'm built a little more like a triathlete who just happens to be pretty good at running - NOT a distance runner.

Plus, if I looked like a frail distance runner, Pharmie would leave me. No joke. She's told me so. On many occasions.

Well, I guess I'm off to the gym. For obvious reasons. ;)

(Scroll down to yesterday's post to see why you should vote for Steve in a Speedo as "Endurance Blog of the Year!" Please CLICK HERE, scroll down to the poll, and vote for me! Thanks!)

12 comments:

CoachLiz 7:48 AM, January 14, 2011  

Ha! Love that pic. Don't feel bad. I have been asked the "Did you used to be a swimmer?" question as well. Sadly, I was a swimmer. Even better is the statement I got, "Wow, you are able to swim a 1:35 100 yards with form like that?"

Just shoot me now...

Krista 7:55 AM, January 14, 2011  

I think "Did you used to be a swimmer?" is actually a compliment. I think people mean did you swim on a team in HS or college. Most people don't think of adults as "swimmers" because your less likely to be on a team or identify yourself as a swimmer if you are not on a competitive team. I'm still an okay swimmer but I always say "I used to be a swimmer" because I identified as "a swimmer" in high school. Make sense?

Keith 8:36 AM, January 14, 2011  

Krista is right, no think about it. In the swimming world, "swimmer" has a silent "competitive" in front of it. Very few people who haven't swum competitively develop a stroke as fluid and efficient as those kids, because it takes an amazing amount of practice and coaching to get it. To say nothing of arriving at the wall ready to puke, again and again.

SteveQ 10:32 AM, January 14, 2011  

If you became a frail distance runner, Pharmie'd only leave you because you hadn't gone the whole unshaven obsessive loner route as well (I'm assuming that's why she reads my blog, anyway).

GoBigGreen 11:14 AM, January 14, 2011  

Didnt you offer to teach her how to "giddy up" kick in the pool? You should have told her it took you far in your youth days of swimming ( starting the motorcycle)
You make me laugh Steve:) in a good way:)

David A,  11:52 AM, January 14, 2011  

You have no idea who I am; but just thought I would mention that your blog is one of my favorite places on the internet to visit. I virtually always smile, and sometimes I am inspired to get up of my b___t and get outdoors to run. Thanks. David A. in Kansas City.

Rachel Elizabeth 2:37 PM, January 14, 2011  

I was a state qualifying swimmer in hs and I still say I "used to" be a swimmer! I have asked the same question to other former swimmers when training so I hope I haven't offended anyone. She was probably impressed or she wouldn't have asked, that's my guess!

Laurie 5:41 PM, January 14, 2011  

The little swimmer girl picture shows exactly how I feel about swimming!

Anonymous,  6:36 PM, January 14, 2011  

I. Love. That. Photo.

Thank you for making me laugh today! (As usual.)

Rebecca 7:38 AM, January 17, 2011  

thank you for posting a picture that perfectly sums up my sentiments about swimming, open-water, pools, goggles, rubber caps....

TriEric 3:10 PM, January 17, 2011  

Hmmm. It's all starting to make sense. The swimming thing is funny, but I don't know how you look when you swim....so I'll focus on your second comment.

Pharmie doesn't like all the hair on your body because she likes to see your rippling muscles. Go to the gym so you can sweep your girl off her feet.

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.