Covid Got Me

>> Sunday, November 20, 2022

Yep, FINALLY. Got hit with Covid.

Sometime around 10 days ago, I got a cold. It was my first cold since Covid - I had a cold at the end of Feb or early March of 2020, and I had nothing since then! I tested twice during this cold just to make sure it wasn't anything more, but it was just a cold.

Then the boys got a little sick. They had classmates out with the flu (and the principal even noted it in his weekly emails), and we STUPIDLY just assumed it was the flu. We never gave them a Covid test. One of Charlie's good friends was actually tested for the flu, and it came back positive. We just assumed that we had the flu going through.

I headed to the pool on Tues morning for a quick swim. Standing in the locker room pre-swim, I was thinking "Wait... it just finally got colder out after a really mild fall, so am I just cold because the temperture has dropped? Or do I have the chills?" I considered not swimming, but I was already there and had paid for my meter. I didn't swim long or hard, but I got in a workout. (And I had lifted weights earlier that morning.)

It was clear later on Tuesday that I was falling ill with that same flu. SO WE THOUGHT. I never tested. Dumb.

My wife finally felt a little crappy on Friday, so because she had to work this weekend (at the hospital), they needed a negative Covid test being she wasn't feeling great. Again, even she (my cautious medical professional wife) thought that this was the same flu going through my boys' school, and she'd just work masked (as always) and feel crappy while working at her desk. I helped pack her lunch for while while we waited on her negative Covid test.

Well, her test was positive for Covid. And then I took one, and I was positive as well.

So we've been home all weekend. She's feeling a bit crappier and run down today, but I'm practially normal again. I took 2 ibuprofens on Tues and Thurs night, took some Nyquil on Wednesday night (and slept like a BABY), and also took a shot of Afrin to dry up my nose those 3 nights as well. That was all I needed. Three nights with some basic OTC medicine and I was good to go.

The week of the 7th was a very normal training week for me, so here that is compared to this current week:



I pushed back my runs by a day, but felt like I could try a run on Thurs evening. And then yesterday's run felt totally normal.

Wednesday was just core - I skipped my leg workout.

Friday's ride was just an easy one, but again, I was able to do that with no problem.

Saturday was a solid 61 min upper body routine, and that felt fine: nearly 200 push-ups, about 50 pull-ups, lots of back rows and shoulder flies and bicep curls. And feeling fine about it! Definitely on the up-swing!

I'm contemplanting riding a bit today OR just keeping it as my normal rest day. That's still to be determined, possibly based on how much my wife wants me cleaning and doing other projects today. My Dr. wife has said that the current variant making its way through up here seems to be causing less trouble than recent variants, so we got lucky!

I just have the occasional tickle in the back of my throat that makes me cough right now. It's nothing, but literally just a tickle that makes me want to cough - like 5x yesterday and maybe once today so far. I haven't taken anything to sleep for the last few nights, including Afrin. We've canceled our Thanksgiving plans, but still hope to see family a few days later as then we should be in the clear. We've tested the boys, but they're still both negative. We'll test them again (at least once more each), but it sure looks like the "flu" that we thought they had was actually Covid and they're over it now.

Things seem to be going OK for us! Stay virus-free out there!

2 comments:

Anonymous,  11:14 AM, November 21, 2022  

It might be a good idea to give the school a heads-up. A classmate might have gotten it from your kids last week and could take that home to the grandparents for Thanksgiving.

Steve Stenzel 3:37 PM, November 21, 2022  

Totally Anon! My boys were both out for multiple days, so they were out for the most "infected" parts of their possible Covid, and they've been masked, so hopefully that's been good. But the school's aware of the boys' possible Covid last week, so everyone knows. I was even in a meeting earlier in the day before I found out (masked and in a corner as I thought I was getting over from flu), and I emailed everyone at the meeting saying "OH SHIT...sorry guys." :)

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.