Two Weeks of Training Post-Race

>> Monday, December 13, 2021

Just over 2 weeks ago was the Moustache Run Half Marathon. My easily injured body always needs plenty of rest post-race even though I'm usually raring to go. But I think I'm fully healed and back to training normally after 16 days! Here's what the last 2 full weeks looked like:



Let's talk sport-by-sport:

• SWIM: Tuesdays lately have been my 2-a-day workouts, but I just swam on the 30th (some decently fast 500s!) without doing a trainer ride. Then I swam again on Thursday as part of a 2-a-day. Then a long workout that I quite like the following Friday.

• BIKE/TRAINER: I mean, it was all trainer rides. I don't mind it. Monday was an easy spin just to stretch out some sore muscles (my left knee was a bit achy post-race). Then an easy spin on Thursday the 2nd as part of the 2-a-day, and some decent effort on the 4th.

The next week, I got a good 4 hours of trainer rides in (generally, I have 1 week/month that gets up to 4 hours): some shorter efforts on the 7th, an easier ride on the 9th knowing I'd be trying a 2-a-day the next day, and a solid ride on the 11th.

• RUN: So the only workouts I skipped because of the race were a trainer ride that would have been on race day, and then Monday's run 2 days after the race. I NEED time for my body to heal up (which is why I just spun that day). So the 2 runs on the 1st and 3rd were just easy treadmill runs (to be easy on my joints and be able to stop at a moment's notice if something started to hurt too much).

The following week was a pretty normal running week! I had a long run on Monday, although it was a bit shorter and a bit easier. ("Normal" treadmill long runs are 10-11 miles with the middle 6 miles starting at 8.9 mph and speeding up 0.1 mph every 1/2 mile until I end with the last 1/2 mile at 10.0 mph. This run was just 5 harder middle miles from 8.7 mph up to only 9.6 mph.) Then an easy treadmill run on Wednesday the 8th, and then my FIRST OUTDOOR RUN since the race on Friday the 10th (before getting 8 inches of snow and keeping me running indoors for the next few runs).

Oh, and notice that I did a 2-a-day on Friday the 10th. I ran early, and then swam once I dropped the boys off at school. I used to do that a lot as my 2-a-days maybe 4-6 years ago: run early and then go to the gym and swim when the boys were at the free childcare at the Y.

SO I THINK I'M BACK TO "NORMAL" POST-RACE! My right hamstring was tight right after the race, and was a little sore on my first 2 runs. My left knee was a bit achy on stairs after the race for a few days, but was better before I started running again. Today might hold a more standard 10-11 mile long run. Sweet!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.