Getting Back to Normal Training

>> Saturday, August 21, 2021

Training is STARTING to feel closer to "normal" after my calf issue that flared up at the end of May. Here are 4 things that are starting to make me feel back to my old running self:

I stopped doing my eccentric heel exercises recently. I really cut back the week of August 2nd, and I think the last time I did them at all was nearly 2 weeks ago on the 9th. (My ankles are quite flexible already, so now those exercises are only something I should do when I have calf issues - NOT after every run like I was doing 2 years ago.)

Since my injury, I've had heel lifts in under the orthotics in my running shoes to keep my calves from having to work as hard. But I took them out for my run last Friday (the 13th - maybe not a day to be tempting fate...), and things have been fine since! They've been out for 4 runs, including a solid long run this past Monday.

The last 3 weeks have now had 20+ running miles. That's my "normal," so I'm happy to be there!

And just over 2 weeks ago, I hit the track for some mile repeats. My "normal" for speed work is every 2 weeks, but I'm starting back with every 3 weeks as to not over-do it. So that means I'll hopefully be doing something hard and fast this next Friday! (Maybe that 2x2 mile interval workout I'm so fond of?)

About the only 2 not-totally-normal things about my training as compared to the last few years (besides not swimming as we're not going to the gym just yet) are that I'm on the trainer a lot vs outside on the bike, and I'm still doing runs on the treadmill now-and-then. It so much easier to get in a ride on the trainer being home over the summer with the boys, and I don't care to be out in the hot sun. And same goes for the treadmill about being home with the boys, although I'm using that more these days to do runs where I can go right up to the moment of some tightness in my leg and then stop (and not have to walk 2 miles home).

Well, I got in a good 30+ mile ride this morning before 7:30, so that was a great start to the day! Happy weekend!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.