Blowing a Fuse on the Treadmill

>> Monday, January 11, 2021

Oops.

This morning, my wife got up before 6 and went to the basement to row. I got up around 6 and joined her in the basement - I hopped on the treadmill right next to her. She finished, went upstairs, and showered in our 2nd floor bathroom.

I was having a decent workout. Monday's are my long runs for the week, and I was well into some "harder" miles. After [I didn't know exactly how many miles at the time], everything just went dark. The basement was pitch dark and the treadmill was off.

Shit.

I ran upstairs and was happy to see light from the kitchen. OK, we have power, but I just blew a fuse. As I started looking for the blown fuse (actual fuses, not breakers) and feeling for warm ones, Henry came down. "Dad, you probably know this, but we lost power upstairs too."

The genius who wired our house has all the basement lights and most of the basement outlets on the same fuse as most of the 2nd floor: the bathroom, the hallway, and most (not all) of the outlets in the bedrooms.

In the basement, I had a few things on: TV, Roku (streaming device), the router, a fan, the treadmill, and 3 lights. Upstairs, the main "power sucks" were the humidifier and the space heater that my wife turned in on in the bathroom to shower. LESSON LEARNED: heater, humidifier, and treadmill cannot be on at the same time.

Luckily, I was taking my splits on my watch, so I could review those to see how far I had gone (it turns out abut 5.9 miles total). So I saved that "workout" and started my watch over as if I were at mile 5.5. I was doing a descending run like I did in this post where I started at 8.9 mph and sped up 0.1 mph every half mile so that after 6 miles I'd be running at 10.0 mph. I was in my split at 9.6 mph when the power blew, so I ended up doing 6.6 "harder" miles (with a break in the middle after 3.9 miles) instead of just 6 miles. (I did an extra 0.2 miles at 10.1 before cooling down.)

It's one of the weirdest looking workouts in my training log. Here's what it says:

WU: 3:57, 3:53, 3:54, 3:51

Faster miles (starting at 8.9 mph): 3:23, 3:19, 3:18, 3:15, 3:13, 3:12, 3:09, 2:13 (POWER BLEW)

[Spent maybe 4-6 mins figuring out what fuse it was and getting it back on]

Cranking it back up to start my mile 5.5 over again at 9.6 mph: 3:08, 3:05, 3:04, 3:01, 3:00, 1:10 (0.2 at 10.1 mph)

CD: 2:24 (0.3 remainder after fast 0.2), 3:55, 3:50, 3:51, 0:46 (0.1 miles)

40:41: first 5.9 miles

31:18: final 4.6 miles

1:11:59 for 10.5 miles = 6:51 pace

I was a LITTLE bummed for a few moments while I was changing the fuse that I had "ruined" my workout, but I got over that quickly. I've had a few weeks of nice long runs like this, so in the end, I didn't care that I got a break in the middle of my harder miles. I was just happy to get power restored and to get in 10.5 miles! (Our Roku isn't fully working again, so I'll need to go back and troubleshoot that later today...)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.