Gary's TC 10 Mile and Marathon Photos

>> Wednesday, November 06, 2019

Coach Gary Westlund was out around 0.7 miles from the finish of the TC 10 Mile and TC Marathon last month, and he was taking a LOT of photos. (We were stationed just a few hundred feet past him near the Cathedral.) Here's his album of TC 10 Mile photos with 600+ photos, and here's here's marathon album with 400+ photos. Below are my favorites of his:


There's an "equalizer" format at this race, and here are the
lead women about to be caught by the lead men around mile 9.3 or 9.4.


The lead women, with Sara Hall (right) eventually taking the win.


Fast fella.


A bit blurry - too fast for the low morning light.


A bit o' snot.


Former student Jeremy running 5:30 pace for 10 miles!
(And making it look easy.)


I'm glad to see "fast" people still glancing at their watch when they shouldn't be.


Rob (middle) finished in 59:27. The guy on the left goes to
my gym, and he finished in 59:25 after I beat
him this spring in a 10 mile in 1:02 (he ran 1:03).


Gary's a dancer. Someone took his camera and snapped some photos of him
dancing with a spectator. (And that's Bobby P between their heads back there!)


Tom R who usually has lots of photos to share from races.


Suzie, who just announced that she's with child!




Michael (looking a little buff!).


I believe she's dancing to Gary's music. Or she just has HORRIBLE form.


Rachel, the wife of one of my wife's college friends.


Long time race buddy Kris (who I bump into about once/year).


I see a teammate's orange jersey in the middle.


I see Glen's dark blue jersey right-of-center.


Gloria!


Forrest!


"In my mind, I'm fast."


Nice job on the matching easy-to-spot neon.

I (obviously) looked for my family as I looked through hundreds of Gary’s photos. I nearly missed them. Here’s the best I could do:


I saw this photo, and then I saw something back there... [zooming in...]


...On closer inspection, that purple shirt with the number on the thigh is my sister-in-law Steph!...


...and if I zoom out a little, you can see her brother Matt walking next to
the curb! (He kinda had a rough race and ran past us with Steph.)


It turns out Matt (and just a SLICE of Steph) were visible
in the background of Gary's previous photo as well.


"Let's WINE about it."


Gary said this was one of his favorites. And for obvious reasons. Nice job Dad and Henry!


Teammate Scott.


Some of my late buddy's "Still Kicking" designs.


Lots of enthusiasm.


More "Still Kicking."


More enthusiasm.


Cute.




Not too many strollers in the TC 10 Mile!


"I run to burn off the crazy." Me too.

And then came Gary’s TC Marathon photos:


2nd place.


St. Paul native in 3rd!


Still big gaps between runners.


The female winner with her pacer.




A Minnesotan (from the south metro) in 2nd!


3rd place female.


A weird neck crick.


I remember seeing her go by thinking she was TINY.


The speedy/buff guy who didn’t look speedy who I wrote about seen in Evan’s pics.


Bouncy castle down the street.


Some bloody nips.




I like this guy’s style.


Carrie T going by.




Maybe the BLOODIEST nips I’ve ever seen!


“I smoked.” I don’t know what that means.


Summit is still sparse with runners.


Gary’s van and speakers across the street at the German house.




I’d love to know this guy’s story...


... oh... of course he’s a triathlete.


2nd place woman over 60, Andriette Wickstrom: she ran a 3:34 at 64 years old!




“LOL I FARTED.” I like her.


Teammate Mike running 4:00 to take 3rd in his age group! (70-74!)


Go Mike!


The 4:00 pacers included Rochester running buddy Mike (left).


A blind athlete (middle) with his guides. Amazing!


To be able to strike a pose like that with a half mile left in a marathon
after carrying a large flag the whole way is impressive!

Again, check out Gary's albums here and here. Thanks for the pics, Gary!

Other TC 10 Mile / TC Marathon links: my photos of my friends and family, Evan’s photos from mile 19.5, and some photos from a photojournalist at the finish line.

1 comments:

Susan,  3:11 PM, November 07, 2019  

TINY runner is my friend Bailey Drewes. Originally from Bemidji. Came in 7th female at around 2:40.

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.