Switching Gears...

>> Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Now that's it been a week since the Midsummer Mile, it's time to start switching gears.

I haven't done a triathlon yet this year!

I haven't even done an open water swim yet!


Every year since 2006, I've done at least one triathlon by mid-July. But I'm really not complaining. I just posted a nice 4:50 "road mile" PR on a slow course, I won a duathlon for the first time 2 months ago, and I'm relatively injury free right now. I can NOT complain!

But now it's time to hit the bike a little more. I'm thinking about doing a triathlon in 10 days, and I'd also like to do the Lake Marion Triathlon in August with my brother-in-law and his fiancée (I'd just do the sprint, but they're both signed up to do their first OLY at that race!). I got in a quick 20 miler this morning where I held a 21.7 mph average through about mile 12. Then I did 3 repeats up Ramsey Hill, and that *kinda* took a bite out of my overall speed. (From the crosswalk at the bottom to the crosswalk at the top, I biked them in 1:22, 1:21, and 1:18 - in case you want to "virtually" race me.) The last month has had early morning track workouts, but I hope to be doing more early morning rides to balance things out a bit.

I'm in OK swim shape for any upcoming sprint triathlons. It's no secret that I don't swim a lot. Swimming sux. With a capital X. SuX. In all of 2012, I swam about 39,000 yards. This year, I've already logged over 46,000 yards. I've been getting to the pool more often, but usually for shorter workouts. Again, that's just fine being I'm only going to do a few sprint races this summer.

I'll also be working on building a little run endurance in the next 2 months. The 3 weeks leading up to the road mile contained short, hard workouts to help get me ready to run hard. Now I'm looking at being in half marathon shape in September (I can't say which race just yet - it's a bit of a secret right now). I'm in a good spot right now with recent long runs of 10 and 11 miles, so if I keep that up and build a little over the next few months, my body should easily be ready for 13.1. (Although I had a HORRIBLE 10+ mile long run in the heat of the day on Monday. I had to walk after 4 harder miles, and I nearly melted.)

Alright. Multi-sport training... commence!

4 comments:

Anonymous,  10:23 PM, July 17, 2013  

Come OWS with me sometime at Lake Marion - we're 1/2 mile away and I need a water buddy. Email me or call - Fridays work?
-Quade

Steve Stenzel 9:16 AM, July 18, 2013  

Quade! Can I leave Henry with K and the boys? I'd love to stop down some time! We'll talk...

GoBigGreen 3:27 PM, July 18, 2013  

Steve! you know where we are wed at 630 am.

Steve Stenzel 8:49 PM, July 18, 2013  

Yep GoBigGreen! The problem is getting a sitter from 5:30 - 8:30 in the morning! :)

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.