More Photos and my Workouts Leading Up to my 1 Mile PR

>> Saturday, July 13, 2013

So there have been some interesting developments regarding the LENGTH of the "Midsummer Mile" that I ran on Wednesday night. (Here's a link to my race report if you missed it.) I think all the kinks have been worked out, but just to make sure, I'll hold off talking about that right now - check back on Monday for more.

For now, I have a few more photos of the race:


Kacey starting the second loop.


The lead women finishing. The clock reads 5:17, and winner finished in 5:12.


In the men's race, Brian Sames (484) finished 3rd in 4:30. Nearing the halfway point
in this photo, I'm still in the picture! (I'm just behind Ben Merchant in the black jersey.)


Jeremy D running up to the halfway point....


... with a smile!


I tried to catch these young bucks in front of me, but I couldn't do it. I was just close enough
to make the kid in white check over his shoulder a number of times in the final 200 meters.


Close up of last image (200 meters from the finish).


Giving it everything!!!!


Jeremy R has shorts that I want. And a mid-foot strike that I'd kill for.


More great Jeremy R form.


This photo is UNEDITED from the photos that Jeremy D's daughter took. It's focused
a little "south" on Jeremy R, and there's a little peek-a-boo liner showing. LOVE IT!


Jeremy D heading to the finish.




A bunch of guys about to cross the finish line.

Jeremy took a photo of the 2 of us at the finish and "zombie-fied" it. I guess this is how you're supposed to look after a hard race and good effort:



I was able to bust out a PR after slowing down race-after-race for the last few years because of some workouts that Coach Jen gave me. People have been asking, so here's a quick rundown of the weekly track workouts she gave me leading up to this mile (click the links for more details):

First it was a descending 12x200 workout.

Then it was a descending 8x400 workout.

The last killer workout was a nasty 16x200 (4x4x200) descending from set-to-set.

Finally, just a few days before the race, she had me do a short 6x200 descending workout. I haven't posted about this one yet because it wasn't a big deal. I was given these instructions: "33, 32, 31, 30, red line, red line, with 200 jog between." I ran 0:32.6 (1:05 rest), 0:32.9 (1:05), 0:31.3 (1:10), 0:30.4 (1:12), 0:30.6 (1:13), and 0:30.9. I rested up for a few days, then raced on Wednesday night.

Check out my race report from Wednesday night for more. Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

The Boring Runner 4:15 PM, July 13, 2013  

Very cool on the workouts. Seems like 200s and 400s are the trick. I'm a big fan of the progression stuff too.

VERY interested to see what the deal is on the measurement.

SteveQ 12:44 PM, July 14, 2013  

It's going to go down in history like the inaugural Twin Cities Marathon: certified, verified and yet doubted by almost everyone because there's just way too many PR's.

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.