Thanks (and a story)

>> Thursday, May 08, 2008

I want to thank everyone for the very helpful comments on the previous post AND also for the e-mails that some people sent as well. It means a lot to me. Thanks a bundle!

This past week, I’ve been stretching and foam-rolling once a day. At night, I ice in bed, right before going to sleep. And it IS getting better. Yesterday, I don’t think my achilles hurt at all. Today, I might try doing some calf raises. I’ll keep up with the stretching, but I won’t overdo it (some of you mentioned that over-stretching it is a possibility, and to make sure I don’t go nuts with the stretching).

The foam roller and I have been getting along OK. He beats me up, and he sometimes hurts like a bastard, but it’s a “good hurt.” Here he is, sitting in the corner of my living room:



I swear, one time I turned around quickly, and he looked like this:



If you’ve used a foam roller on your IT band or Achilles, you KNOW what I’m talking about.

Also, 2 days ago, I went for a little swim to see how my heel would hold up. Andrea, the swim coach, was in her office when I got down to the pool. I asked her about water running. “So do I basically put on one of those belts and make a running motion in the deep end?” She said, “Yep, that’s about it.” She gave me a few more tips: don’t lean forward too far, really get the arms into it, and don’t point your toes like your swimming - keep them flexed like you’re running.

I warmed up for a few laps, then did about 800 meters of freestyle, and then tried water running. Andrea was getting ready to start an old lady water aerobics class - you know the one. It’s the one that takes up too many lanes and all the ladies reek like Aqua Net and White Diamonds perfume. Andrea told me (with a smirk) that they were going to be doing some water running during this class, and that I could join in. I smirked back and said, “No thanks...”

As I started “running,” Andrea kept looking down to me from the other side of the pool. I thought she was going to shout something to me about my form, and I was ready for any sort of help. After a few minutes, she did: “HEY STEVE – lean forward a little more. And really get those arms going!” I followed her advice, and it instantly felt more comfortable. I ran for a few more minutes before having to get to work.

I hopped out of the pool just as the old ladies were running their way into the deep end, ready to boot me out. Andrea actually pointed out one of the ladies to me from the side of the pool: “See how Gladys is angled just a little bit forward and her arms and legs are moving so far in and out?” I saw it. It was beautiful and perfect. Gladys had shown me the way of the water runner.

I’m about to say something for the first and last time on my blog. Get ready. Here it comes. Never again will these words be uttered. Alright, here it goes: Thanks you, 60-year-old Gladys in the saggy baggy swimsuit, for showing me proper form in the pool. You have been a vital part in my recovery process. Thank you for your help.

Wow, that felt weird.

34 comments:

Jeff 9:35 AM, May 08, 2008  

No doubt Gladys will be thrilled to know you've outted her and her "saggy baggy swimsuit" on your blog. Too bad you don't have a picture.

Topher 9:36 AM, May 08, 2008  

dude, you passed on a perfect opportunity to get some sweet blog material. some of my best work has been inspired by stuff people like Gladys say or do. next time you have the chance, you need to water run with those ladies. you'll pee your pants, but wait until you get out of the pool. they probably have some of those "he did it" chemicals in the water.

21stCenturyMom 10:00 AM, May 08, 2008  

The wisdom of our elders is what helps us grow, non?

Go Gladys! Anyhow, she's probably 75 and just looks like she's 60. :-)

KodaFit 10:02 AM, May 08, 2008  

That almost inspires me to take a crack at water running and/or water aerobics.... Almost!!

Unknown 10:11 AM, May 08, 2008  

The roller eats my soul on a regular basis too.

Sometimes Granny really does know what she's doing, good for you for listening!

MissAllycat 10:16 AM, May 08, 2008  

My foam roller is your foam roller's evil twin. It eats my soul for breakfast on a daily basis. Great graphic!! :)

trimybest 10:25 AM, May 08, 2008  

i hope your heel heals in time for grandmas! i dont what to hear that as an excuse for you not kicking my ass by a good half hour! being injured in a marathon SUCKS. last year at twin cities i had knee problems and i walked 16 miles!

Danielle in Iowa in Ireland 10:50 AM, May 08, 2008  

Glad that Gladys has shown you the way in pool running!

I prefer to call my foam roller the Styrofoam Cylinder of Death. Especially when working the IT bands. My roommate won't let me do it when she's in the house because I apparently make weird sounds.

GoBigGreen 11:30 AM, May 08, 2008  

Hey did you happen to see my mom in that class? 78 yo grey haired lady (that describes them all) who would Kick your A-- with her handbag if she heard you talk about Gladys with any sort of disrespect..they are funny tho arent they.

sRod 11:49 AM, May 08, 2008  

1. Those roller things scare me at the gym. I had no idea what they were until a few weeks ago.

2. Don't underestimate little old ladies. Grandma sRod (actually, I guess she would be mHer) is 85 years old and can kick your ass in Mario Kart.

Kim 11:56 AM, May 08, 2008  

i bet you wish you saw her in the locker room, no? i bet she has great form in the sack too. hehehe im gross.

but anyway, way to go with the water running. i never did try that out when i had my stress fracture for fear of looking like a jackass. you dont have any problem with that! :)

Kelly B. 1:24 PM, May 08, 2008  

frrrick...I love this blog!!

Jenna 3:30 PM, May 08, 2008  

ah yes, the roller. I got one from my PT the other day. Honestly, it DOES make you make weird noise. I can almost make myself throw up from the pain as I roll that bastard over my IT bands and quadzilla's and hammies. But I am sick. I like it. It makes me feel so much better when i STOP.
Love the graphic.

J~Mom 5:14 PM, May 08, 2008  

Clearly your foam roller has met my foam roller. Evil as the trainer I tell ya.

greyhound 5:17 PM, May 08, 2008  

Channel your inner-Gladys.

Dana 6:13 PM, May 08, 2008  

I guess we do have something to learn from elderly after all..;-)

Fizzgig 6:21 PM, May 08, 2008  

learning form from an old lady, now thats hott! I aspire to be admired by young folk when I'm an old lady too! Awesome! I don't envy your injury either! ouch!

Molly 7:15 PM, May 08, 2008  

That is too good!
There is a guy at our pool who (I can only describe as) jumps laps in the morning. The funny thing is that he wears a swim cap (never goes under) the even funnier thing is that I saw him walk in the other day and he has no hair.
I think I am going to knit him a hat!
Take Care

CoachLiz 8:17 PM, May 08, 2008  

I would have love to been a fly on the wall to hear what they were saying about you after you left...

Brian 8:57 PM, May 08, 2008  

Can you post the gladys video for us slackers that are always hurt and forced to do water running.

It's tougher then you thought, huh?

Unknown 9:34 PM, May 08, 2008  

Yep, it sounded weird, too. But great job on the water running. You will have to let us know if you feel it helping you or not.

Andra Sue 12:11 AM, May 09, 2008  

Yeah, I'm pretty sure my foam roller *always* looks like that second picture.

Don't underestimate Gladys, man she could probably knit you under the table and kick your ass at cribbage. Oh, and she probably does triathlons, too. :)

Iron Krista, "The Dog Mom" 7:48 AM, May 09, 2008  

I've been bonding with my foam roller every day for the past few months.... We are actually friends now.

Oh, and good for you on the water running. I hated it. It made my legs feel itchy (not sure why?) and I never could get my HR past like 135.

tracie 8:26 AM, May 09, 2008  

i too have a love/hate relationship with my foam roller

go gladys! ;)

triguyjt 11:29 AM, May 09, 2008  

hey...imagine that...you can still learn some stuff from us older folks..Ha !!!

good luck rehabbing and for godsake, never let that foam roller out of your sight......

its.....the........devil......

jen 4:23 PM, May 09, 2008  

We find inspiration in the strangest places sometimes! Good work with the devil/foam roller. You'll be in ship shape in no time!

brendaj 9:01 PM, May 09, 2008  

Your foam roller must know my foam roller! But pretty soon I'll need to return to my sports massage person, and she can be even more scary than my roller!

crazy tri mama 10:09 PM, May 09, 2008  

I double dog dare ya to show up at Glady's class next time with a speedo, pink swim cap and arm floaties!

You know Gladys and the White Diamonds Pips all think you're hot, show 'em the real deal!

Michelle 2:00 PM, May 11, 2008  

Aqua Net....that is good stuff. Liquid glue in a bottle. You can still buy that stuff you know! I just saw it the other day at my grocery.

KK 10:52 PM, May 11, 2008  

Nice assessment of the Aqua Net and White Diamonds perfume. I've never been able to put my finger on that smell before...

We heart Gladys. LOVE her!

Good luck on the rest of your recovery.

Kellye Mills 10:09 AM, May 12, 2008  

I'm glad you are feeling better. Continue to take it easy, and it will be better before you know it!

ShirleyPerly 2:33 PM, May 12, 2008  

Great that your anchilles seem to be getting better! I'll have to remember these things that you're doing if mine ever flares up again. Cool that Gladys could show you the way :-)

teacherwoman 7:18 PM, May 12, 2008  

nice work on the run in the water .. Gladys sounds like a sweet sweet lady!

chia 10:40 AM, May 30, 2008  

Hooray for Geriatric Soup and angry tampon-looking foam rollers!

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.