Apple Duathlon Race Report

>> Sunday, May 25, 2008

Or, “Yet ANOTHER windy duathlon”

Or, “Breaking the curse of 1:54”

Yesterday was the Apple Duathlon. My alarm went off at 4:45 am, Matt showed up an hour later, and we were headed off to Sartell. The Apple Duathlon is a 5K run, 33K bike, and 5K run (in miles: 3.1, 20.5, 3.1). It was going to be another windy duathlon. At least this one was warmer.

We pulled into the lot around 7:15 with plenty of time to set up. Last year, I woke up at 3:30 am and couldn’t sleep, so I was out to this duathlon SUPER early. Here was my bike set up in transition last year:


Big Rhonda all alone in transition in 2007

This year, Matt and I got our stuff set up:



Notice the sweet, bright blanket between our bikes. It made spotting our bikes easier and kept our socks from getting all sandy. When I walked into transition with the quilt before the race, the volunteer at the edge of transition joked, “What...are you gonna take a nap in T2?!?” I didn’t think it sounded like too bad of an idea.

We sat and stretched a little. I put on my homemade achilles warmer:



We noticed grills and stacks of buns, which was ONLY a good sign for things to come:



Matt ever so cautiously asked if I could pin his race number to the butt of his run shorts. He pulled down his warm-up pants and stuck his ass in my face. So what did I do? I took a photo:



Matt heard the camera shutter, and he called me gay about 6 different ways.

I also ran in to blogger CY. We introduced ourselves. Our cars were actually parked nose-to-nose in the lot. She WON the Gear West Duathlon last weekend, with a time that was just a minute and a half slower than Matt’s and my team time!! Way to kick ass, CY! I asked her if she could do the same today, and she wasn’t as sure - there was a lot of competition at Apple.

Well, time to race.



We headed for the starting line. We were in Wave 3. We saw the elites take off (including CY), then a wave of 30-40 males, and then it was our turn.

I had a goal to work for this year. This was my third consecutive year racing this duathlon. I finished in 1:54:30 two years ago, and 1:54:36 last year. This year, I had to break 1:54. My biking skill is worse this year, but my running game is much better. Time to see what I could do.

- 5K Run:

The announcer shouted GO, and off we went. Matt and I wished each other good luck. I took it easy for the first part of the run. A few blocks in, at the top of a hill, I counted that I was in about 12th place in our wave. At the first mile marker, my watch read 5:51. That was pretty fast. I slowed up (a little). Mile 2 was 6:20. That was better. I finished the 5K 8 seconds FASTER than the 5K last weekend where I was teamed up with Matt and running it nearly all-out - the course last week was off-road and tough to run. I caught a few more from our wave and came into transition in about 6th place in our wave.

- T1:

Nothing fancy here. I grabbed my bike gear. I noticed that Matt’s Hammer Gel had fallen off his aero bars, so I picked it up and placed it back on his bike. Time to ride.

- 33K Bike:

I was planning on pushing myself on the bike again. I pushed harder than I was used to 4 weeks ago at the Winter Begone Du, and that went well - I realized that I could push pretty hard and still be able to run the last run. My first 5 miles were done in 15:29, and my next 5 were done in 14:00. I was averaging 20 mph at the half way mark, which is good for me.

There was some good news and some bad news at this point. The good news is that we had gone through the worst of the hills on the course. The bad news was that with about 8-9 miles left, we turned into the NASTY ASS wind. That wind was in our face for the entire ride back into Sartell. It wasn’t fun. I battled through it as I watched my average drop.

About a mile or so from Sartell, Matt came up on me and passed me. I knew he was having a decent day. I was hoping he was going to catch me on the bike. (Matt told me after the race that he was up to a 22.5 mph average at the half-way point, and his average speed dropped to 20.5 by the end.) I rolled into T2 about 2 blocks behind Matt.

- T2:

Matt was still in T2 when I ran my bike in. We exchanged some curse words about the wind. He took off, and I was just a few seconds behind him. At this point, I realized that I could waltz my way to an Apple PR (breaking 1:54). And I also figured that if I pushed hard and banged out a decent 5K, I could break 1:50. So off I went.

- 5K Run:

I caught up to Matt as we turned out of the parking lot. I said, “Ya feel that? That feels GOOD!” Matt didn’t agree. Again, we wished each other luck, and I ran off.

The first mile of the second run is historically my fastest mile of a duathlon. My legs feel heavy and I feel like I’m not moving, so I push even harder. This duathlon was no different. I didn’t know how fast I was running until I hit mile 1 in 5:44. Sweet. And, I didn’t even feel my achilles until half way through the second run. That was good news too. The only bad news was that my lower butt / upper hamstring was getting pretty tight. I worked through it, and it wasn’t a real problem. I ran hard to the finish.

Yesterday, I earned a couple of Personal Records on this course for this duathlon, and 1 Personal Worst:

Results:
5K Run: 18:47, 6:03 pace, Apple PR
T1: 1:00
33K Bike: 1:08:03, 18.1 mph ave, Apple PW
T2: 1:02
5K Run: 19:34, 6:18 pace, Apple PR

Total: 1:48:25, Apple PR by over 6 minutes!

6th Place in my Age Group
97th Overall


My bike time was just a few seconds slower than it was last year, but my 2 runs were both a couple of minutes faster. I hung around at the finish for Matt, and he came in under 9 minutes later, with a finish time of 1:57:07 for his second official duathlon (much longer than the short course that he did at Winter Begone). Way to go, Matt!!

Nothing left to do but eat:







All-in-all, I had 9 slices of pizza, 1 hot dog, and a bunch of Oreos. When one of the ladies handed me my first few slices of pizza, instead of saying, “Thank you,” I said, “I love you!” I meant it. Then, Matt and I both grabbed 5 bucks and got a massage. This complete stranger groped my ass for 5 minutes:



And Matt got sloppy seconds:



Seriously though, that woman worked out some stuff in our legs. We loved it! That was a well-spent 5 dollars! Matt’s thinking about NOT doing the duathlon next year, but instead he’ll show up with $50 and spend the morning on her table. Not a bad plan. Not a bad plan indeed.

We stuck around for the awards (none of which we won) and the prize drawings (none of which we won). I said goodbye to CY and congratulated her on a 3rd place finish in a time of 1:36 (if I’m remembering correctly). Matt and I hit the road back to St. Paul.

After a few miles, I said, “Oh, look who’s coming up on our tail!” It was David Thompson and Hannah Sullivan (is it creepy that I know what they drive?). David is a FREAKIN’ ROCKSTAR of multi-sport events in Minnesota. He’s won Lord knows how many events, and was recently featured in Triathlete Magazine (the one that had pros and semi-pros posing with their equipment and talking about the gear they like). And his wife Hannah is great at these events too - I could use her speedy bike legs!!

Anyway, as they were passing us, I looked over and waved. Hannah waved back with that “I’m being friendly and waving back but I don’t really think I know you” wave. Matt and I got to talking about those 2. It’s a little lewd, so I’ll whisper it, and you can stop listening if you’d like to. Here it goes:

Their sex life must be AMAZING! I mean, those two could both go forever! They could go for hours! No, days! No...weeks! They could have sex for longer than the Olympics are on TV. In fact, if “mixed doubles sex” were an Olympic sport, they’d be bringing home gold for the US. If “singles sex” were an Olympic sport, I’d rock it, but that’s a different story...

OK, enough whispering about that. But, come on, you know what I’m talking about! And as a side note, David is a good, very courteous driver: he used his blinker and drove in the right lane except when passing. Nice guy. Good fella. Sweet couple, I’m sure.

On the way home, I figured that it’d be smart to take a little ice bath once we were back. So I picked up 10 pounds of ice, poured a cold bath, jumped in, dumped the ice on top, and turned into a woman for 10 minutes (you know what I mean...don’t make me spell it out):



Oh, and just as I was hopping in the tub, I saw the smiley face that I asked to be drawn on my right calf after the body-marker wrote my age on my left calf. So I quick snapped a photo:



Today, my muscles are a little sore, but my heel and knee both feel OK! I think I’ll head to the Y for an upper body workout shortly, and I’ll try a longer run on Tuesday. Check back to see how that goes. And I’ll have more photos and more official results when they come in. Thanks for reading everyone!!

p.s. I feel creepy when I said I know what David and Hannah drive. I only know that because they parked near us last weekend at the Gear West Duathlon, and we briefly talked as we were all unloading our cars. I’m not a super creep. Really.

34 comments:

Danielle in Iowa in Ireland 10:27 AM, May 25, 2008  

I thought you said the bike was 33k, not 28k?

Anyway, way to rock the 6 minute PR!

And did the smiley face get drawn on the calf with the bad Achilles? Because maybe you have found the secret to making injuries go away - draw happy faces on/near the offending body part! (This might be a little awkward if one pulls their groin)

Steve Stenzel 10:40 AM, May 25, 2008  

Oh jeez...thanks Danielle - I fixed it.

And no, the smiley was on the "good leg." Good idea though!!

Anonymous,  11:55 AM, May 25, 2008  
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous,  11:55 AM, May 25, 2008  
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tyger Lily 12:46 PM, May 25, 2008  

You never cease to entertain! Love your blog! Glad your heel and achilles is feeling better. See......the foam roller isn't THAT evil :D

GoBigGreen 12:47 PM, May 25, 2008  

1st: good job! And ice bath means you worked hard!
2nd: I know what they drive too, and i know where they live and ....
3rd: can you spell S-T-A-L-K-E-R?
4th: they have both been super helpful to me as well.

KK 1:27 PM, May 25, 2008  

Congrats on another successful race! Glad to hear the achilles is holding up and I hope it continues to hold up for your upcoming marathon.

P.S. I decided to make this comment as neutral as possible on account of two previous comments being deleted by the "administrator of this blog". Scandalous! Looks like we all need to be on our best comment behavior right now. :)

Steve Stenzel 1:52 PM, May 25, 2008  

KK - don't worry - be as nasty as you want to! The 2 I deleted were dumb advertisements!

J~Mom 4:22 PM, May 25, 2008  

Great job on your race!!

You made me way nervous with those photos in the bath...yikes...

xt4 6:24 PM, May 25, 2008  

First - you stalk whoever you want to, man. Whisper away. Lots of homo-eroticism today, and you ask me, that's a refreshing new perspective in our homey little blogger community. Go on whichyo bad self.

Second - kickass on the PR! Great work!

L*I*S*A 6:45 PM, May 25, 2008  

There's nothing like a few photos to really make us feel like we were there with ya.

Oh, and I *heart* smiley-faced calves.

Stef0115 7:25 PM, May 25, 2008  

Congratulations on a great race and PR!

Speedy times and entertaining (as always) report!

Glad your injury seems to be on its way out. You seem to be doing all the right things to rehab it.

IronTriTim 8:10 PM, May 25, 2008  

Great race report steve. Also a fan of the ice baths, they really work, though I'm a girl when getting in (different reason to yours!).

Anonymous,  8:25 PM, May 25, 2008  

Great job at Apple! I hear the wind was NASTY from almost every one I talked to. Gotta love MN spring weather!

I love the boxers!

Wes 8:34 PM, May 25, 2008  

Dee Dee thought she loved you too, until she read about a complete STRANGER groping your ass. Tough for you bro!

IronGambit 8:48 PM, May 25, 2008  

see you at Grandma's Marathon.

Kate 8:50 PM, May 25, 2008  

Nice race report. I adore ice baths in a painful, uncomfortable, fabulous way.

Well, that and I am a girl before I get in (it's still not that fun, just so you know).

Jumper 2.0 9:36 PM, May 25, 2008  

Knowing David's car and feeling creepy about it is funny!

About a month ago, while at the club, a run club member asked if I knew and/or wanted to meet Carrie Tollefson. "Sure, I know who she is, I have a picture of her in my gym bag". After the quizzical look, I immediately realized what I had said. So I explained that I had copied some core exercises from a running magazine to use as a reference and that indeed I am not someone to fear. Fortunately, I convinced him.

Tea 9:48 PM, May 25, 2008  

We've had some vicious attacks out here by Front Railing. I don't know who that dude is, but he's causing us alot of problems.

I'm not sure which I would have liked more....the massage or that nice cold pizza.(Isn't everything cold up there?)

Meg 11:03 PM, May 25, 2008  

Great job! Your race report photos are always entertaining!

Rainmaker 11:41 PM, May 25, 2008  

Wow, you rack up the races. Like a tour professional. Very nice. And rockin' times.

sRod 5:45 AM, May 26, 2008  

Awesome race & congrats on the PR.

JenC 6:28 AM, May 26, 2008  

Congrats on the huge PR!

Anne 8:57 AM, May 26, 2008  

Nice race report and post-race recovery rundown via pictures. You certainly are all-inclusive. That pizza looked like it had been thru a duathlon as well!

m 9:41 AM, May 26, 2008  

Wow! Great race times. You deserved that massage and bath! Have a great memorial day.

Cy 11:58 AM, May 26, 2008  

Yup-NASTY ASS wind was right. Those last 8 miles felt like 20. I actualy had a decent 2nd run...Simply because I was so happy to get off my bike!!

Nice PR considering condition.

Nice to meet you too :-)

Dana 1:56 PM, May 26, 2008  

Amazing Apple times!

Marcy 6:57 PM, May 26, 2008  

Dude you rock!! Killer! That poor poor woman who had to massage your sweaty ass afterwards. I at least hope you didn't fart :P

Bigun 5:55 AM, May 27, 2008  

you should change your blog title: Katsup on a Hotdog: Gross!

triguyjt 9:50 AM, May 27, 2008  

Funny as Hell Post
or FAHP..pretty much could write that for every one of your posts...
tell matt his idea is hilarious...
would the physical therapists, then have their own pimps to hawk their services..???
in keeping with your logic on the duration of hanky panky between the two triathletes, if two olympic sprinters make love...would that be only , like 10---40 seconds....???just wondering??

Fizzgig 10:40 AM, May 27, 2008  

holey cripes that bath photo made me haveta pee!!!! How on earth did you tolerate that?

Viv 10:12 PM, May 27, 2008  

Ice bath just made me cringe like a little girl. Congratulations on a killer duo!

Loved the report!
Am I the only one who enjoyed Matt's number shot?!

MissAllycat 7:06 PM, May 28, 2008  

RE: Matt's Ass Shot

THANK YOU SWEET BABY JESUS!

:)

Mendy 1:24 PM, May 29, 2008  

Congrats on the PR! I always enjoy reading your race reports!

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.