IM Nutrition, Man-Scaping, Boy Scouts, Other Random Crap

>> Sunday, August 12, 2007

107 Mile Jungle Ride!

I went for a nice 107 mile ride yesterday, and, can I just say, that I LOVE Boy Scouts. Not like-love, but love-love. The ride started nicely, but there was a NASTY storm the night before. It turns out the Gateway trail was pretty messed up – downed trees, branches, and crap everywhere! I had to dismount and carry my bike over or under a ton of trees. About 9 miles into the ride, I came across a series of downed trees all in one spot. I think they went down like dominos. I couldn’t see the other side of the trail at all! I was stopped there with a middle-aged couple, and the 3 of us blazed a trail through the trees around to the other side of the trail. We went back and grabbed our bikes, threw them over our shoulders, maneuvered them around trees, and got to the other side of the mess. When we came through, there was another biker looking at us like we were crazy. We were covered with mud from the knees down and wet leaves from the waist up! It was like jungle riding!

In the next mile, I came across a troop of Boy Scouts cutting apart downed trees and clearing the trail. I shouted my thanks to all of them. Boy Scouts ROCK!!!

The rest of the ride was pretty uneventful. It was windy and sunny. I finished in 6:25 on the bike, and 6:58 total time counting pit stops. Not super fast, but the important thing was to simply get the ride in. Oh, and the toe held up OK (see previous post below). It just turned a little bluer.

Perpetuem, Recoverite, etc.

Last week, I tried to do up to 100 on the bike, but I tried Perpetuem. Bad idea. It didn’t go over well with my digestive system. I don’t think I was really ready for the fat and protein that Perpetuem has in it. I had to stop at mile 72 because I was getting close to ralphing. This week, the nutrition was much better. I had a bottle with good ole’ Carbo-Pro (1400 calories) that I sipped on the entire day. I had some Power Bars, some Hammer Gel, and a bunch of water. No problems.

And has anyone out there tried Recoverite?!? That stuff is AWESOME!!! I used that for the first time after my hard 10 mile run earlier this week. I really think it helps with some of the muscle fatigue issues and sore muscles the next day. Yesterday, I got in the house after the ride, IMMEDIATELY ordered a pizza, chugged half a gallon of chocolate milk, and then mixed up 2 glasses of Recoverite.

Also, about 2 months ago, I received 2 free cases of Accelerade. I was supposed to try it out and write about it on my blog. I kind of have the same feelings as TRI Vortex. “Accelerade = Cottonmouth.” It doesn’t taste good. Not even cold. I’m not a fan. But they did send me a sweet shirt a few days ago. I’m totally going to wear it.

Man-Scaping

Embarrassing Thought: There are now 2 razors in our shower:



Even MORE Embarrassing Thought: Mine is the pink one.

The last time I touched up my shaved body, I got some razor burn around my navel. It looked like my belly button had herpes. I don’t have a photo of that...

...you’re welcome.

19 comments:

Tracy 2:57 PM, August 12, 2007  

I hear you on the Perpetuem, it just doesn't work for some systems (like mine) but the sustained energy rocks the Astrodome! No flavor, mixed with Lemon Lime HEED - awesomeness in a water bottle. Glad the Recoverite fixed you up!!

You're SO going to rock Madison, awesome job!

RobbyB 4:52 PM, August 12, 2007  

I third the taste on Accelerade. It's like you have to chew the protein. But, like you said the shirt is awesome. Makes the muscles pop! Keep up the great training!

Marcy 6:06 PM, August 12, 2007  

Darn, I was looking forward to pics of the herpes infested navel. Those are always a personal fav.

Spokane Al 8:36 PM, August 12, 2007  

I must admit that I wonder whether it was the pizza, the half a gallon of chocolate milk, or the Recoverite that helped you recover from the bike ride.

P.S. Sorry to hear about the Perpeteum - it is definitely not for everyone - I love it and can drink it for hours and hours, warm or cold.

teacherwoman 9:31 PM, August 12, 2007  

Thank you for sparing us the photo of your navel... eeeyuck.

RunBubbaRun 6:12 AM, August 13, 2007  

I think I like things with fat, maybe that is why I can handle the Perpetuem okay... I haven't tried the hammer recovery stuff yet..

Great job on the jungle run.. Next time maybe you can bring a hacksaw to help you on your way...

Ooo, no naval pic, I like to thank you as well..

Michelle 7:09 AM, August 13, 2007  

Yup, that was the first thing I thought when I saw the pic. "Please, tell me the pink one is not his!" You never fail to disappoint. Happy training.

The (IRON) Clyde 8:56 AM, August 13, 2007  

Recoverite is DA SHIT, no doubt on that one.

John 11:55 AM, August 13, 2007  

I just started using Perpetuem on my long days. Not a big fan of the taste, so I mix it with orange Heed. I've been using Recoverite for sometime now. When I run out I notice a big difference in recovery time... love the stuff!

I got an email last month about Accelerade... I wasn’t sure what to think about it so I never replied. I guess I should have done it for the shirt!

I have the same razor... the black one!

Kim 3:38 PM, August 13, 2007  

i cant wait to do longer rides so i can copy your after-ride nutrition plan :)

Triteacher 7:24 PM, August 13, 2007  

I drink Accelerade all the time. Free T-shirt please!!

:) 4:11 PM, August 14, 2007  

"The last time I touched up my shaved body, I got some razor burn around my navel. It looked like my belly button had herpes. I don’t have a photo of that...
"


I have never been more thankful of anything in my whole life...

Bigun 4:35 PM, August 14, 2007  

I got the shirt too - a women's medium...I guess "the Bigun" was supposed to refer to my large, womenly ass.

Shirt fits my wife great...a little small, just the way me likey.

Kate 10:24 PM, August 14, 2007  

Hi there~

Tri-Dummy aimed me at your website and I was laughing so hard that my husband came down to find out what was so funny. I read about 5 or 6 of your previous posts. Mr KT says that the key to shaving efficiently is to get a schedule down. He says never try to do it all at once. He says he would be happy to send you his rotation if it would help. =0) What a man, I know, a keeper.

Great blog, I will definitely keep reading.

Crackhead 3:43 AM, August 15, 2007  

Ditch the Perpetuem; go with Infinit. MUCH better product. Why someone would put fat into a during-training fuel, I have no clue. Plus, you can add CAFFEINE!!!

Unknown 4:42 AM, August 15, 2007  

On a different note...with all that hike-a-biking, sounds like you're ideal for some dirt riding. Get you some knobbies!

bigmike600 9:17 PM, August 15, 2007  

I too came to your blog from Tri-Dummy and I was laughing so hard I choked on my spit dude. You are one funny guy. You also have great nutrition/hydration tips. My wife and I are body marking at IMWI (we are newbie triathletes). Hope to see you.

SingletrackJenny (formerly known as IronJenny) 7:10 AM, August 16, 2007  

I always say, ask 20 triathletes what they eat and you'll get at least 15 different answers.
I like real food, like sandwiches.
I'm a "sunscreen girl" after the swim, I'll watch for you!
Jneny

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.