Training Status: Why Can't I Be "Productive?"

>> Saturday, February 10, 2024

My Garmin usually tells me I'm "maintaining." I barely see it saying that my training is "productive." If I take it real easy for a post-race week, it might tell me I'm in "recovery." I've seen my neighbor show her Garmin saying she's "peaking" right before a race, but I've never seen that.

I tend to train very consistently, so therefore I'm "maintaining" most of the time. Here's the last 4 weeks:



In these last 4 weeks, it shows me that I was "strained" twice, and both times just for a day. First, after my final long run in Jamaica, I only biked to work the next morning, and it said I was strained in doing so (Jan 22). And second, I did the indoor triathlon last Saturday, and then I did a shorter/easier long run 2 days later (still with some effort - just shorter than normal), so it said I was strained that day (Feb 5).

I suppose the good news is that I get out of "strained" status quickly. And with no extra rest: the Tuesday after both of those "strained" days, I had a good, long, normal swim. And I was back to "maintaining" again.

What I find a little odd is that I never cross over into "productive" training before showing that I'm "strained." It just jumps straight from maintaining ("oh yeah, looks good... keep it up") to strained ("No, no, no! Too much now!!"). I don't know what this means, but I'm just a little annoyed by it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.