Back to the Treadmill for Long Runs

>> Monday, February 13, 2023

After a week in Mexico where I did 2 long runs followed by a weekend away to Florida where I had a fantastic long run, it was time for me to hit the treadmill again last week. I didn't know if I'd feel better or worse on the treadmill again after so many outdoor long runs (and through that Florida long run, 5 out of my previous 7 runs were outside with good footing: 47.03 out of the previous 58.63 miles).

Well, it turns out I felt better!

I started with my "normal" long run treadmill workout: 2.5 miles easier before picking it up to 9.0 mph and speeding up 0.1 mph every 1/2 mile for 6 "at pace" miles in the middle. I felt like CRAP to start those pace miles - maybe I was still feeling the long trainer ride from 2 days earlier? But I stuck it out.

Nearing the end of my "pace miles" (around mile 5.5 of runner harder which was about mile 8 overall), I figured I could go for an EXTRA faster 1/2 mile. So after running mile 5.5 to mile 6 at 10.1 mph, I then went an extra 1/2 mile at 10.2 mph. So I did 6.5 pace miles instead of just 6. Normally, my treadmill "at pace" miles tend to average around 6:17 (because they are so predictable), but this was a bit faster and averaged 6:15 because I tacked on an extra bit at an even faster speed.

Then I had 2.5 miles as a cool down to hit 11.5 miles total in 1:18:18 (6:49 overall pace, when that workout is usually more around 6:55 overall pace). Solid run!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.