3x1600 on the Track

>> Monday, May 16, 2022

It's been 2 weeks since the Get in Geat 10K, so it was time for some speed work. I hit the track before 6 a.m. on Friday:


The view from our side door of the sunrise!


A damp track after 2 nights of storms.

I thought I remembered that my last 3x1600 was 5:37, 5:33, and 5:28, so I was really intending to beat those. Also HOPEFULLY helping was the fact that some maintenance guys were on the track, and I run faster with an audience:


But UH OH, they were starting to put tarps on the
back stretch (see to the right?) for graduation events.

I had to swing wide for the first 1600 to get around the guys working in the first few lanes, and I had to cut in and run a bit on the in-field for the last 1600 as more tarps were being pulled out. But luckily, the artificial turf was quite "solid," so it was easy to run on without worry of turning an ankle or stepping on a weird spot.

After jogging to the track and then walking about for about 3 minutes, I took off. My first 400 was plenty fast, but then I let up too much in my 2nd 400 to post an 800 split slower than any 800 split from my last track workout which I was hoping to be faster than at this workout! But then I kicked it in a bit and had a decent 1st interval.

Here's what my workout looked like:

2:51.3 + 2:42.4 = 5:33.7
2:56 walking

2:44.8 + 2:43.8 = 5:28.6
2:58 walking

2:46.2 + 2:46.0 = 5:32.2

I was feeling pretty hashed by the end of interval #2, so that 3rd interval was ROUGH. If I don't keep descending, I'm usually dying. But it was a solid workout! Last time, I averaged 5:32.97, and this time I averaged 5:31.50. I supposed I was hoping for more than a 1.5 second increase, but any splits that are faster than last time are always appreciated! So I'll take it. (Like I have a choice.)


Garmin map. Exciting.


My heart rate didn't do anything weird here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.