Last 2 Training Weeks Pre-Race

>> Monday, September 21, 2020

My crappy long run 4 weeks ago really screwed up my training plan.

I never really "built" a plan for the upcoming (unofficial) TC 10 Mile. I just starting increasing my long run. I never looked at the actual calendar to plan things out until about 2 weeks ago. I shared my growing long runs in this post last week, and it basically showed this for my weekly long runs starting back at the end of July:

- 7 miles
- 7.7 miles
- 6.8 miles (scheduled "back off" week)
- 8.1 miles
- 9 miles (bad run...)
- 8.5 miles (... so forced to "back off" here)
- 9.7 miles
- 10.6 miles
- 11+ miles (scheduled for today)

Ideally, I would have had that "back off" week maybe 2 weeks later. So ideally, it *should* have looked more like this, with the ideal things that *didn't* happen in bold:

- 7 miles
- 7.7 miles
- 6.8 miles (scheduled "back off" week)
- 8.1 miles
- 9 miles
- 10 miles
- 11 miles
- 9.5 miles (scheduled "back off" week)
- 10+ miles (scheduled for today)


My "actual" long runs show 2 runs of 10+ miles through today. But my ideal training would have had 3 runs of 10+ miles through today, with a possible 4th on the later "back off" week if I was feeling good.

If my "ideal" were the case, I'd run long today, and then do whatever I was feeling next week (which is a week before the 10 mile race). But because I am where I am, I might still try to get a good long run in next week - if I don't then it's a "shorter" week followed by a "taper" week followed by the race, and that doesn't bode well for me.

So, my post title says "last 2 training weeks pre-race," but I don't have many specifics to say about that after today's long run. If I feel like I need it, I might go far again next week (6 days pre-race). If I'm feeling good, I'll ease back a bit more/sooner next week. Just playing it by ear!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.