We're IN for the TC 10 Mile and an Impromptu Tri this Weekend!

>> Thursday, July 28, 2011

For the THIRD YEAR IN A ROW, our team got picked in the lottery system to run the TC 10 Mile in October!! (You can register groups of people as a "team" so that ALL or NONE get in.) There are EIGHT of us running this year, and 2 of those 8 are "10 mile newbies!"

The first noob is COUSIN BEN. He's the youngest team member. Here we are on a family camping trip a few years ago:





And Ben has helped to cheer at the TC 10 Mile and Marathon in the years past. Here he is (along with me) as we're getting ready to cheer:



The second noob is BROTHER-IN-LAW MIKE. Mike has cheered as the pig and the raccoon for the last number of years at the Marathon, and now he's taking his shot at the 10 Mile!


As the PIG a few years ago


As some "RACCOON roadkill" last year

There are 3 family members doing the TC 10 Mile for the second time. COUSIN MEGAN did the 10 Mile last year:


Megs near the finish of her first 10 mile!

UNCLE STEVAN and AUNT JEAN did the 10 mile 2 years ago with us. (They are Cousin Ben's parents).


Stevan near the finish


Jean running past

UNCLE JOHN is doing the 10 Mile with us too, and I don't know how many times he's done it (at least once). He's done a number of half-marathons and marathons, so this 10 Mile is no big deal for him. Here's John and I after a run we did together a few years ago:



Finally, there are 2 of us doing the TC 10 Mile for the 3rd straight year in a row. You all know BROTHER-IN-LAW MATT as my "Team Happy Pants" relay partner. Here's Matt after he finished the 10 Mile last year:


A steaming helping of sexiness

And of course I'm on the team too. Here I am during my "A" race for 2010 where I hit my sub-60 goal:



Matt already asked if I'm shooting for sub-60 this year. I gave a resounding "NO!" I told him right away that sub-61 would be a dream. But as I thought about it, I think I'll just be shooting for a NON-PW (personal worst). I did 3 different 10 mile races within about 5 months back in 2009-2010, and they were all 1:02:xx, and then Coach Jen got me down to 59:05 for the TC 10 Mile in 2010 (my 4th and most recent 10 mile). So I guess I'm shooting for under 1:02:44. We'll see what the next 2 months of training brings!

And, as always, we hope to have the farm animals out to cheer after the 10 Mile for all of the Marathon runners!



Oh, and I just finally decided last night that I'm going to race the Waseca Sprint Triathlon THIS SUNDAY! Their online registration has been closed for a few days now, but the race director told me that there are still "race-day registration" spots open! Pharmie and Henry are going to stay home, but I could use a friend who will be there to take photos of the "Tutti Frutti" shorts in action. (It was THIS RACE LAST YEAR where these shorts debuted!) Is anyone planning on spectating who can take some photos for me? Thanks!

Race report next week! We'll see what I can do at the sprint tri this weekend!! (Yikes!)

9 comments:

Lindsay 12:17 PM, July 28, 2011  

Yay!! I am so excited! I am doing the TC 10 Mile for the first time this year. I've never even been to Minnesota before.

Happily though, I was chosen as a Medtronic Global Hero this year so I got a slot. I also get to bring my twin sister along to run with me. Soooo pumped!

Kurt @ Becoming An Ironman 12:29 PM, July 28, 2011  

Ok, the raccoon road kill. Genius!!

Love the farm animal costumes. That takes some serious commitment as a cheering section. Kudos!

And congrats on getting the whole (improved) team in on the race this year!

Rachel Elizabeth 1:42 PM, July 28, 2011  

You guys are awesome as the farm animals! Last year I also did the TC10 and then went up the hill to cheer for the marathon. We ended up right across the street from you and had no idea who you were. But you were awesome! Keep up the good cheering and good luck on your races!

Unknown 3:06 PM, July 28, 2011  

That's super awesome that you all get in! They must see the names and say "this race wouldn't be the same without all of them!". :)

richvans 4:25 PM, July 28, 2011  

Seems like the whole barnyard is running this year - are you taking applications for replacement critters?

Unknown 7:34 PM, July 28, 2011  

Old McDonald had a farm, and on that farm he had a... raccoon?

Silvergirl 9:20 PM, July 28, 2011  

I first discovered your blog 2 years ago when I stumbled upon a video of dancing farm animals at the twin cities marathon. Last year I had friends do the marathon (we are all from NYC) and I told them to look out for the animals, and sure enough they saw you! So, I was so excited when I read your post tonight and learned that you will be there again this year since I am signed up for it!! I have never done or been to twin cities, so I am so excited to check it out, especially now that it will be complete with dancing farm animals!!

Andy Koch 7:23 AM, July 29, 2011  

Steve,

A group of us are doing the sprint as well. It'll be my first time there but I've heard nothing but good things. Unfortunately we don't have any spectators coming with us, as my wife would rather sleep in than get up early on a Sunday :/

Maybe I'll see you at the race, you'll probably be hard to miss in those shorts. Heh. Good Luck!

- Andy

Ellen 4:22 PM, July 29, 2011  

Good luck on Sunday - nice weather, I think! And - do you rent those barnyard animals or own them because I think you've really gotten your moneys worth!

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.