I'm Racing Next Weekend! (And June Totals)

>> Saturday, July 02, 2011

I bit the bullet. I got the "OK" from Pharmie, and just before registration closed, I signed up for the Minneapolis Life Time Fitness Triathlon next Saturday!

I probably could have signed up for the Olympic Distance, but I signed up for the sprint. Just 3 weeks ago, I was in "decent" shape to do the Liberty Oly Triathlon, but I didn't make it to the starting line of that race because we were at the hospital welcoming Henry into the world. I've gotten in some decent workouts since then (including my longest run since my injury in January!), but my swim and bike distances aren't where they could be / should be. With Henry in the house, I haven't gotten away for any good, long open-water swims (last year I had gone 8 times by this date and had done one Oly tri, whereas this year I've only had one short OWS), and it's hard to be gone for long 2-3 hour bike rides.

That being said, Pharmie has been AWESOME at getting me out of the house for my workouts. I have to make sure I have them timed pretty well (where Henry's content and Pharmie's ready for a nap) and I make sure they're QUICK, but Pharmie's really helping me to get my workouts in. She's amazing! She's in a tough spot, I know - she WANTS to get back at it (and start training for her 12th straight TC Marathon), but it's too soon for "parts" of her. She can take Henry for a quick walk, and her "parts" will be sore when she's done. I KNOW she wants to go for a run as soon as she can, so it has to be a little hard for her to watch me head out sometimes. I love her so much!

Anyway, here's what my June looked like:



I never did the Triathlon on the 11th, and Henry was born the morning of the 12th - I think you'll notice the "gap" in my training. ;) There has been LITTLE speed-work in my training, but I finally got out for a hard "interval brick" workout last night (I'll post about that shortly).

Some of Pharmie's team (team EvoTri) will be coming to town to race in the Oly. I may not be racing against them, but it will still be fun to be out there with them! They're a super fun gang!

I've raced or cheered at 5 of the last 7 Life Time Fitness Triathlons, but this will be my first time racing the sprint! (.4 mile swim, 15 mile bike, 3 mile run.) SHOULD BE FUN!!

6 comments:

Unknown 12:04 PM, July 02, 2011  

Congratulations to you guys, btw! Just remember that Pharmie gets the finisher medal when you are done, so you better finish! ;-)

Unknown 3:04 PM, July 02, 2011  

Your wife is so awesome! And your miles were great considering you had a baby this month. Hope Pharmie heals quickly so she can get back at it...it's like she's injured and just has to take it slow for a bit. Have fun at your sprint!

jen 3:26 PM, July 02, 2011  

Good for you getting back out there! I'll be especially interested to watch Pharmie's comeback. You guys are both amazing! PS Henry pictures pleeeease! :)

Shelly 5:46 PM, July 02, 2011  

Pharmie is incredible. Life's major "transitions" can be slow and difficult, but unlike in a triathlon, you are there to help each other. Thank you for being appreciative of her. You are blessed to have each other and Henry!

Richelle 8:30 PM, July 02, 2011  

Pharmie is so awesome. You two have such a strong marriage.

Greenking17 "TRI-harder" 8:54 AM, July 04, 2011  

I will be at the LTFT (minneaplois tri) to cheer you on big shooter. Hope to see you there!

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.