Best Swim in a Long Time

>> Tuesday, March 08, 2011

It's true. I had a great swim yesterday!!

It was my first real tempo swim since my swim lesson 2 weeks ago. I haven't been in the pool much since then. I've done kick drills twice, and went water running once.

A few months ago, I did 1500 yards in 25:08 (1:40.5 / 100 average).

Yesterday, I did 1500 yards in 23:30 (1:34.0 / 100 average).

It felt fast! And it was ALL due to 2 things: I was kicking properly, and I wasn't losing my rhythm by rotating too much to breathe! It's amazing what one $18 swim lesson did for me! Thanks for the lesson, Andrea!!

And, dare I say it?.... this actually has me a little more excited to go to the pool!!...

Back with the 2 winners of the Sony MP3 Player tomorrow!

8 comments:

Katie 8:07 AM, March 08, 2011  

dang, I feel "fast" if I can average 1:55/100! Where did you get this lesson?

Steve Stenzel 8:41 AM, March 08, 2011  

Katie, it was at my local Y: the YWCA of St. Paul. I had the kids swim coach meet with me for 30 minutes.

Unknown 9:54 AM, March 08, 2011  

You should buy your $18 dollar instructor a 6-pack, because you underpaid.

Kelly 11:00 AM, March 08, 2011  

That's a great improvement from just one lesson... amazing how such small adjustments can make a huge difference.

Unknown 7:00 PM, March 08, 2011  

Nice! You swim 500 meters more than me in the same amount of time! ha!

I've been struggling with motivation to get in the pool, especially because I swim at 6am to avoid crowds and who really wants to get in a cold pool at 6am? Not me!

Angela 2:34 PM, March 09, 2011  

Steve, thank you so much for posting this particular tidbit of information. I realized today that I am a "head jerker" - I raise my head too high to breathe, and reading your post helped me reduce my 100 yd time by about 15 seconds without doing anything differently except not raising my head so high. 15 seconds! Seriously, this is HUGE. So, thank you. Your $18 lesson helped more than just you!

Steve Stenzel 11:39 AM, March 10, 2011  

Angela, glad that advice in my earlier post could help!! It REALLY is amazing how much GOOD can come from 1 cheap lesson! Happy swimming!

admin 2:08 PM, March 11, 2011  

sure the improvement came from one single lesson? Or was it just the benefit of a few months-long training-hours in the pool?

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.