Running For a Good Cause

>> Thursday, March 03, 2011

I'm still injured. I can't run yet. It's been 27 days (but who's counting)....

But in just over a week, I hope I can do this:



This isn't word-for-word, but I took a lot of this from Lucinda's blog. Check it out:

As you probably know, New Zealand's second largest city, Christchurch, was devastated by a 6.3 earthquake at lunchtime on Tuesday 22 February 2011. There have been at least 160 fatalities with many still missing.

Kiwis out of Christchurch and people around the world want to know how they can help, and the answer's short. With money. But we all want to feel like we're doing more than just typing our credit card numbers into a box and clicking submit. So, Mike, Pip, Kate, Phil and I [Lucinda] thought we'd go for a run. Wearing red and black, to show the people of Canterbury we love them. And we'd like you to join us for our virtual fun run. Wherever you are.

If you’d like to participate, just follow these easy steps:

• Make a donation of as little as $5 at our fundraising page.
• Follow us on twitter.
• Tell the world you’re in. Share the love on Twitter, Facebook, your blog, whatever. Use the #run4chch hashtag.
• On the 12th or 13th of March, pop your red and black on, and hit the streets, or the pavements, or the trails, or wherever it is you run.
• Send us a link to your race report, and we’ll post it on our blog!

We’re hoping to get at least 100 entries, so please, please share this with everyone you know!

For more information:

http://www.fundraiseonline.co.nz/run4chch/

http://twitter.com/#!/Run4CHCH and use the hashtag #run4chch

http://run4chch.wordpress.com/

Both Lucinda and Kate contacted me about getting people involved. (Kate's blog was actually one of the first blogs I started reading when I started blogging 5 years ago.) I thought we could help out.

Here's what I'm asking everyone to do to help out:

1. Donate if you can!

2. Let's meet up (wearing red and black) for a 5K run on Saturday, March 12th at 1 pm as a way to show our support for Christchurch.

3. Tell others about what we're doing, and see if they'd be willing to donate as well!

I'm thinking that anyone who wants to meet for a quick, easy, group run can meet up at Longfellow Grill (inside in the hallway near the bathrooms) in Minneapolis on Saturday morning, March 12th. Longfellow is at Lake Street and West River Parkway, next to the Mississippi River. (Any preferences on time? I'm thinking sometime between 8 and noon. Official time to be announced soon.) UPDATE: We're meeting at 1 pm! Simply show up then, or click here and tell us your coming on out FB event page. We could run this 5K route that hits both Minneapolis and St. Paul on nicely plowed River Road:


Distance in kilometers

I'll take photos through our run, post them here on my blog, and see if we can't get even MORE people to donate! What better way for us to use our love of running than to help raise money for those in need! And in doing so, we get to have a nice group run and maybe some breakfast or lunch afterwards!....

Who's interested? Pass this link around! Let's get a group of runners ready to go on the morning of March 12th! Direct link to this post:
http://iwannagetphysical.blogspot.com/2011/03/running-for-good-cause.html And here's a TinyUrl if you want to tweet about this: http://tinyurl.com/4hq63fd

More details to come....

10 comments:

Matt 7:29 AM, March 03, 2011  

I'd be interested in a meet-up. The Irish For A Day 10 Mile is also on the 12th, and Katie is running that, so this group run would have to be noon or later for me to make it.

Tri-James 7:35 AM, March 03, 2011  

Good on ya! (that is as good as my kiwi / aussie slang gets). I'll donate.

Lucinda 7:56 AM, March 03, 2011  

Steve!

Thank you so much for sharing this with everyone, can't wait to see your run report - along with all the others.

:-)

Steve Stenzel 8:36 AM, March 03, 2011  

Matt, I'd love to have you (and Katie [good cool-down, right?]) at the run, so I'll keep a later time in mind! Maybe as late as noon or 1 pm.

Stay tuned!

Kate 11:04 AM, March 03, 2011  

Thanks so much Steve :)

Pip 4:52 PM, March 03, 2011  

Thanks heaps Steve! And to prove that we're grateful, Lucinda and I will have a very special blog post in your honour (with photos) next weekend. Watch this space!

Mike 5:52 PM, March 03, 2011  

Thanks Steve! We really appreciate it :) (Mike)

trimybest 6:58 AM, March 04, 2011  

Good idea! I will do my best to make it. At lest I can donate.

Matt Ellenberger 12:27 PM, March 04, 2011  

That's like a mile from my house. I'll be there once you decide on a time

Matt 9:44 AM, March 05, 2011  

Thanks, Steve! Just let me know the details once you get them ironed out.

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.