‘First Day of School’ Outfit, ‘Old Man Socks,’ and a HUGE August

>> Wednesday, September 08, 2010

First Day of School Outfit:

When I was 18 and we were on our summer family vacation, my Mom said something like, “OK, I’ll buy you some clothes for college, but they HAVE to be on sale. And this is the LAST year I do this!”

Well, I’m 29, and we STILL do this every summer! And not only does Mom do this for my sister and I, but also for my sister’s hubby and my Pharmie! She bought me this vest and this shirt - the shirt is light purple:


Traditional “off to school” photo leaving the house.

The first reaction I got at one of the colleges where I teach was from the “maintenance guy” who pointed, laughed, and said “what the heck is that?” Fail. Apparently I usually dress like shit. ;) But then one of the admissions ladies said that I looked sharp. Win.


Old Man Socks:

I have a pair of high crew socks I sometimes wear under jeans. Super un-sexy, but you can’t see them under my pants. Well, I was wearing them Sunday, and I forgot to take them off when I was getting ready for a ride with Pharmie. Let’s just say she was “less than thrilled” to be seen riding with me looking like this:




Huge Numbers for August:

Coach Jen is cranking up my distances as much as she can without making me injured. She officially started coaching me on the 9th of August. The month started with a sprint tri on the 1st, a bit of a recovery week, and then Jen took over.

My biggest "run month" in the past was just before injuring myself 2 years ago training for a marathon. It was 102 miles. I’ve only been over 88 miles / month a few times in the last 4 years.

My biggest "swim months" in the past have been over 20,000 yards. That’s not really a lot, I know. The 3 months leading up to my Ironman 3 years ago (June, July, and August of 2007) were all over 20,000 yards, the biggest being just over 24,000 yards.

Well, Jen made me beat BOTH of those in August:

- Run: 108.34 miles
- Swim: 25,817 yards


I know, I know... NEITHER of those are huge numbers. But I can’t run TOO much - I get injured at the drop of a hat. And remember that I’m training for NOTHING with a swim! I have NO triathlons in the near future, so Jen is using some nice, long swims as aerobic workouts and active run recovery.

I have a sinking feeling in my gut that Jen might just make me break my “fresh” run record AGAIN this month. Afterall, it’s under 4 weeks away to the big race!!

[gulp]

15 comments:

Unknown 9:27 AM, September 08, 2010  

heh - nice socks. And way to go on those miles last month, if I had those miles, I'd be pretty happy

E-Speed 9:34 AM, September 08, 2010  

Steve the fact that you race so fast on such low run mileage is impressive! Enjoy it, it is a gift!

Unknown 9:53 AM, September 08, 2010  

I love that your mom buys you a new outfit! That's awesome! Those socks though... not so awesome!

And I love watching Jen form you into her little champion!

momo 12:38 PM, September 08, 2010  

the socks are actually "in" in high school, just fyi. both my sophomore and my freshman (girl!) wear them. you're not as uncool as you think! :)

Steve Stenzel 1:12 PM, September 08, 2010  

See hunnie, I'm "cool!" ;) Thanks momo!!

Greenking17 "TRI-harder" 1:19 PM, September 08, 2010  

"You're not as uncool as you think"...for a girl!! ;^)

April 1:29 PM, September 08, 2010  

Is the maintenance guy at your college at all like the janitor on Scrubs? If so watch out! :)

GoBigGreen 2:07 PM, September 08, 2010  

you dont THINK you are training for anything with a swim but come those cold winter mornings at the Y you are gonna be glad you are a swimming machine:) hehehe.

Jennifer Harrison 2:13 PM, September 08, 2010  

JEROME has socks like those and loves them too!!
Yes, it is a fine line...enough quality to get faster but not too much we get hurt. It is a FINE line and what is the hard part...but you are doing great!!!! HANG tough - 4 more weeks!! ! ! ! !! ! ! ! yes yes!

CoachLiz 2:26 PM, September 08, 2010  

If it will make you feel better, I ride with a few old guys who wear socks like that and they give me a run for my money! Those socks are deceptive. They say "old and dorky" but they hide legs of punishing steel.

I am always panting after a ride with "Chuck" who wears the "old guy" socks.

Anonymous,  3:01 PM, September 08, 2010  

I LOVE back to school outfits. Even when I'm not a student. Very sharp...very sharp.

Kevin 12:18 PM, September 09, 2010  

I love your outfits. You should do an 80's running man for Halloween. Shortie shorts (with white strip), tube sucks (with colored stripes), sweetband on head and wrists and white tank top with no sleeves. LOL That would be great

Cordially
Kevin
http://halftriing.blogspot.com/

Habeela 4:04 PM, September 09, 2010  

Those socks totally make the outfit! ;)

Eric Moss 12:21 AM, September 10, 2010  

Only you could make those socks and that shirt look cool. Me? I can never be seen with a shirt. :)

Eric

Julie 10:13 AM, September 12, 2010  

My dad used to wear socks like that! I am totally laughing right now:) Thanks, I needed that!

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.