So I’m Racing a 5K

>> Thursday, March 25, 2010

Well, I guess it’s “PR or Bust” on Sunday!

I went to the ever-trusted McMillan Running Calculator yesterday to see if my recent 4 miler gave me some hope at a 5K PR. Based on that 4 mile race last weekend, these were my calculations:



So notice in the upper right that their 5K prediction is 17:21. That’s 6 seconds faster than my 2 year old 5K PR. That’s cutting it p.r.e.t.t.y. close.

(One thing that I’ve noticed about every running calculator that I’ve tried is that I seem to never have the DISTANCE SPEED that they say I have. That chart above, based on my 4 mile race last weekend, has my 10 mile time estimated at 1:00. [I’ve ran 3 between 1:02:19 and 1:02:44, most recently 10 days ago.] And it estimates my half marathon time at 1:20. [I’ve ran 3 between 1:28:05 and 1:29:35.] So if it ALWAYS predicts TOO FAST over longer races and TOO SLOW over shorter races, MAYBE I can bang out a 17:15. This is all just speculation on what I’ve noticed over the past few years when using these calculators.)

I noted last weekend that felt like I ran that 4 mile race PERFECTLY. My first mile was FAST, but it wasn’t killer (and that’s the key to a short race for me - well, probably the key for anyone). I held onto that pace near the middle. And I finished strong.

That means I need to race this weekend’s 5K perfectly as well. If the first mile is too slow, the PR will be out of reach. If I race the first mile too fast, I’ll “blow up” before the finish line. I feel like 5:30 is too fast, but 5:45 is too slow. That’s a small window.

I guess we’ll have to wait and see. If it doesn’t go well, I may have to remove my nipples in angst:



Someone didn’t get hugged enough as a child.

21 comments:

teacherwoman 7:46 AM, March 25, 2010  

seriously? YOUCH!

Good luck with the 5K PR!

Georgia Snail 7:51 AM, March 25, 2010  

I guess that is one way to avoid nipple chafing....ouch!

Good luck in the PR hunt!

Ironman By Thirty 7:54 AM, March 25, 2010  

Dude... come on!! A little warning next time!!! haha. That was highly disturbing.

Good luck with the PR!

Silvergirl 7:55 AM, March 25, 2010  

Ouch!!!
Good luck on your race this weekend! 'm betting you will hit another PR this weekend!

I Run for Fun 8:03 AM, March 25, 2010  

Good luck on the 5K!

That pic will give me nightmares!

Christi 8:05 AM, March 25, 2010  

Wow, you could have warned us on that pic!

n/a 8:40 AM, March 25, 2010  

ack! Please warn us next time, I almost lost my breakfast! Good luck this weekend! I'm going to go bleach my eyes now...

Mark 8:41 AM, March 25, 2010  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Es --- IRONMAN! 8:42 AM, March 25, 2010  

WHY?!?! Why would anyone do that?!

Best of luck this weekend and in your quest, remember to have some fun!

B. Kramer 8:47 AM, March 25, 2010  

I think I know that guy ...

Good luck with the PR. Fit in that tiny window. Cheers!

Greenking17 "TRI-harder" 8:53 AM, March 25, 2010  

Steve...skip the race and come over to Gear West and enjoy a Duathlon clininc and a 30 minute FUN run, then do some shopping for 'goldilocks'.

Dig deep on your 5k! You can do it!

Mollyapolis 9:58 AM, March 25, 2010  

Fine choice. The weather forecast is looking much nicer for Sunday's 5k (mostly sunny, high of 52) versus Saturday's 7-mile (rain and wind).

McMillian has me just a few seconds below my 5K PR after last weekend's 4-miler. It's gonna be a close one! When it starts to hurt real bad, I'll just think of that lovely photo you posted.

it's all about pace 10:50 AM, March 25, 2010  

Looking forward to your 2:49 marathon... go Steve!

Regina 12:43 PM, March 25, 2010  

That photo just gave me the heebee jeebees. I'm trying to shake it off BLECH ;P

Good luck!

Kitzzy 12:47 PM, March 25, 2010  

Good luck this weekend!

Coach Liz 6:51 PM, March 25, 2010  

Eeewww!!! Ok, that is creepy and demented, and just plain Eeewww!

I have a huge scar that wraps around my chest and under my arm not by choice. Why would someone do that for shits and giggles??? At least the doctors preserved my nipple even if it is higher than the other one now. I guess the more holes you have in your head the more opportunities there are for brain matter to escape.

Good Luck on riding that fine line to your 5K PR this weekend.

Coach Liz 6:53 PM, March 25, 2010  

You notice the other nipple has lines around it like it is going to be removed as well. I wish one of those nipples would be transplanted to his forehead.

inflictfreedom 8:30 PM, March 25, 2010  

5K at 17:21? That's friggin fast! What is your average run pace? Anything below 6 min is bookin' it!

X-Country2 9:45 PM, March 25, 2010  

Balls to the wall this weekend. Good luck!

Anonymous,  3:39 AM, December 18, 2013  

He did it because he's tired of the painful bleeding from nipple chafing not as a Fashion statement -_-

Steve Stenzel 8:55 AM, December 18, 2013  

Umm, Anon… not to judge a book by it's cover, but this guy looks like he DID do it as a fashion statement. He doesn't seem like a distance runner. Can you imagine those earrings bouncing around for 13.1 or 26.2? :)

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.