Double-Race Birthday Weekend!

>> Tuesday, March 02, 2010

I don't raise any "fuss" on my birthday. It's not a big deal to me. But this year, on my "birthday weekend," I'm doing something I've never done before: back-to-back race days!!

My birthday is Saturday, March 13th. And yes, I was born on Friday the 13th. ("Well THAT explains a lot" is the usual reaction - from everyone INCLUDING my mother.) So when I found out the new "100% Irish For A Day TC 10 Mile" race was going to take place on my birthday, I HAD to sign up.



Julia's been joking that they should call it the "Inaugural Steve Stenzel 10 Miler." That'd be sweet. I'd probably show up and race that event. ;)

And the next day is going to be the first "CVA Triathlon Club" race of the year for anyone who's interested. We are doing the LTF Indoor Triathlon in Lakeville, MN:



Back-to-back races on the weekend of my birthday! I'm registered for both, so there's no turning back! Should be fun!

Oh, and I should PROBABLY swap out my old Speedo Jammer for a new one. (I can call it my birthday present to myself.) I've noticed my current Speedo is getting a little thin. I know I have a back-up Finis suit at home, but "Steve in a Finis" just doesn't have the same ring. So I've got to order a new Jammer. Here's my current one, which I've been swimming in for about 1.5 - 2 years now:


Thinning butt crack


Thinning "crotch-ular" area


Inside. No, those aren't my snow white pubes.
That's elastic that's given up on life.

This puts the "Gross" in "Steve in a Speedo?! Gross!" ;) Ha!

20 comments:

LittleRachet 7:56 AM, March 02, 2010  

Wear your Finis pair under your Speedo and call it drag....

Happy Birthday (early)!

drdave 8:01 AM, March 02, 2010  

Thank God there aren't skid marks, because that really would be GROSS!

Good luck at the races! Hope you have the best birthday ever.

Ironman By Thirty 8:31 AM, March 02, 2010  

I'd recommend a Speedo Endurance+ suit if you are looking for a new one. It is polyester instead of lycra and it supposed to last a lot longer (they claim 20 times, but I like to say I last 20 times longer too). I just got one and it feels much more durable. One warning though - they are sized differently. You will probably need at least a size, if not two up from what you wear in a lycra suit.

Kati 8:45 AM, March 02, 2010  

Just a p.s.a. to check your bike shorts too - they think in the same area! Ever ridden behind someone that is wearing worn out bike shorts - now that's gross!

Kati 8:46 AM, March 02, 2010  

Oops, they THIN in the same area - my typing fingers are too fast today!

Christi 8:58 AM, March 02, 2010  

Thanks for sharing! I am so glad I get to read some many great things about you and your training life! :)

michwea 10:00 AM, March 02, 2010  

Coulda gone a lifetime without seeing that crotch shot. Thanks :)

n/a 10:00 AM, March 02, 2010  

Good luck on both races and Happy Birthday!

teacherwoman 10:10 AM, March 02, 2010  

Sounds like a great way to celebrate your birthday weekend!

BTW, I think I will be doing the LTF Indoor Tri on May 2nd... with my Sis, who's doing her first! :)

Jayson 10:45 AM, March 02, 2010  

Birthday on Fri the 13th, Nice! I always liked to freak people out by telling them I turned 13 on Friday the 13th... and my name is Jayson. One of these days I'll have to pick up hockey...

Kim 1:10 PM, March 02, 2010  

oh my, those are some well worn shorts! yay for march birthdays! (we have 3 in my family, including mine!). i love that youre racing. twice. im drinking. a lot.

Regina 2:35 PM, March 02, 2010  

Those jammers look nasty. I like those birthday plans as long as it also contains cake and beer.

Char 2:54 PM, March 02, 2010  

Hey - we share the same birthday. (all the best people are born in March) Hope your birthday is as good as I'm planning mine to be.

Melanie 6:55 PM, March 02, 2010  

I was born on a Friday the 13th as well! (Just in May... and probably not the same year.) I think it's a pretty fun and elite club to be in!

Greenking17 "TRI-harder" 8:07 PM, March 02, 2010  

Hey Steve! March 13th is Johannas b-day too (she's a bit older than you, but way hotter). Too bad I will be in Rochester taht weekend or I would come to the 10 miler. Lifetime indoor will have to wait since I hate swimming in a pool and paying for it too.

Good luck on your back to back weekend...I'm sure I will talk to you soon.

Eric 8:10 AM, March 03, 2010  

I agree with Greyt Times and this you should dress in drag.

Are you even old enough to have pubes?

Diana 9:38 AM, March 03, 2010  

I'm so glad you cleared up any question there could have been about the snow white pubes!
Happy Birthday to you!
Mine is on the 14th.....good luck on both races!

Craig McGray 2:39 PM, March 03, 2010  

Thanks for the post. Anytime pubes can be worked into an adult conversation, it's a good day. Happy Birthday!

Boomer 1:53 PM, March 04, 2010  

Dang it! After reading your post I have a sudden urge to buy a new pair of jammers!

CoachLiz 7:21 AM, March 05, 2010  

As other people have said, Speedo Endurance suits are the way to go. My kid swims every day and his suit I bought back in October still looks new without any color fade or thinning. Get a size smaller than what you may normally wear. They stretch out a little bit in the water. If you get it sized comfy, it will end up being a drag suit and you had better pray you tied the drawstring when you do flip turns. Lol!

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.