Speed Saturday: Intervals and Crossfit

>> Saturday, November 22, 2008

I woke up, and it was 24 degrees with white stuff all over. No, not cocaine. No, not Barry Manilow groupies (that was a failed “white person” joke). I’m talking about snow. I got down to the track, and you couldn’t even SEE the track:



Jeremy showed up when I did. Jen (a different Jen than the one last week) showed up a few minutes later. And Borsch came jogging in just after that. I THOUGHT we might have 9 people, but the snow made half of them wuss out (just kidding you 5). So it was just the 4 of us:



We couldn’t see the marks on the track, so Borsch and I made a new "starting line" with our shoes:



I took off to do 3 1600s. Jen was going to do the same. Here she is with 800 left in her final interval (she averaged around 7:20!!):



Borsch was finishing a longer run. Jeremy sometimes ran with him, and sometimes with me. Here they are with a lap or 2 to go:



I ran my 3 1600s with 90 seconds rest between. My first one was my slowest mile interval ever, but then I picked it up (but still not as fast as I’m used to - there was a fair amount of slippage on the snow):

6:01
5:47
5:48
5:52 average

Here I am all sweaty after the last one:



THEN, I had this great idea for a Crossfit-style workout.

- Run through the bleachers: 336 stairs
- 15 push-ups
- 10 sit-ups (all the way up)
- Repeat

So this is what the route looked like:



I started at mid-field in the circle, ran through the bleachers (up and down and across), ran back to mid-field, dropped to do push-ups and sit-ups in the circle, and started over again.

Jeremy and Jen did the first one with me. Here’s Jeremy and I running down a set of stairs (it looks like we’re not moving, but we are):



I did that "Twenty-One" workout last weekend, and a few of you mentioned how poor my push-up form was. And you were TOTALLY right. I didn’t realize that I dropped my head so much. This week, I totally rocked my push-up form. Borsch held down the shutter and created this sequence of me doing a pushup during my first or second set, and it’s (nearly) textbook:









Then I flipped over to do some sit-ups. Jeremy was with me:



I took off and did the whole sequence again. Here I am running from finishing the stairs to the place on the field to do my push-ups and sit-ups:



I looked a little more beat-up the next time through:



I did that sequence 5 times: 4:03, 3:49, 3:46, 3:46, 3:50. That’s a total of 1680 stairs (840 up, 840 down), 75 push-ups, and 50 all-the-way-up sit-ups. Not a bad way to spend a chilly 24 degree Saturday morning!

Afterwards, I offered rolls to everyone. I brought them to celebrate the “blog of the year” award. Being there were just 4 of us meant that I was bringing a lot home!



No problem. I’ll take care of them...

Anyway, it was another great Saturday morning of intervals! We won’t meet next week (Thanksgiving weekend), but we hope to meet up again in 2 weeks! Happy Weekend everyone!!

39 comments:

Darcy Franklin 12:38 PM, November 22, 2008  

Good lookin' push-ups! Crossfit was torture this morning, but it always is. Isn't that why I love it?

Adam 12:47 PM, November 22, 2008  

I think the best part of the entire post is the fact that you bust your ass on that 21 workout and then people come on and criticize your form! Nice workout today, I had a perfect trail run in the same snow.

Anonymous,  1:14 PM, November 22, 2008  

I'll make it one of these Saturdays, as soon as I stop being a running slacker. Especially if there are doughnuts. mmmm

Unknown 1:21 PM, November 22, 2008  

Wow! Great job even with the snow! And great push up form.

Unknown 1:29 PM, November 22, 2008  

I suspect if the rest of the group knew there would be donuts, they would have shown up!

Congrats on Endurance Blog of the Year.

Judi 1:30 PM, November 22, 2008  

ok, who smiles doing track work? i am about to puke when i run the track, not smiling!

sounds like a great workout. i am amzed at your fast 1600's. and in snow.

i am starting to think you work out just to eat crap food, lol. i know i do.

have a good weekend....

LHE 1:36 PM, November 22, 2008  

What? No costume? Running in 25-degree weather is something I won't ever have to worry about. I cannot beleive you took a workout rug! I keep seeing you on the bleachers and really really like the idea of running up and down them. So much so that I'm going to find a local school to do this. Happy snow!!!!

duchossois 1:59 PM, November 22, 2008  

Congrats on blog of the year! The track workout in the snow looks very familiar to me, except for the daylight.

Kelly 2:02 PM, November 22, 2008  

Rolls?? Is that what you crazy Minnesoooootians call donuts? haha

Unknown 2:10 PM, November 22, 2008  

Sounds like a great time! I got my Living History Farms race in this morning before the snow came down. I will have posts about it throughout the week.

teacherwoman 2:21 PM, November 22, 2008  

What a great workout!! Love the pics!

Trishie 3:13 PM, November 22, 2008  

You guys are hardcore!

Great workout ... I need to start running stadium stairs again!

Sarah 4:00 PM, November 22, 2008  

Congrats on the winning blog! Man, I felt all hard core just getting out and running in the cold this morning and it was maybe low 30s. You guys rock!

Aka Alice 4:13 PM, November 22, 2008  

I would never criticize your push-up form considering that mine is just shiz...

mmmmmm donuts

GoBigGreen 5:24 PM, November 22, 2008  

hi Steve,
yea I get a "sorta wuss" award. Ran down there (almost) but sensed a southeast wind and when I turned at Prior it was there! The wind! Wish it had been one of those donuts staring me in the face.
I am getting closer..
glad you enjoyed the snow!
julia

Kelly 6:29 PM, November 22, 2008  

So I haven't tried it but from your descriptions, I really think that cross fit could kill somebody. Nice job on your chilly workout. If I had been running longer and lived in your area I'd join you. Happy Saturday.

Mel-2nd Chances 6:38 PM, November 22, 2008  

great job today! Even with the snow... i have the same jacket as Jen! :) have a great Thanksgiving!!

Jess 7:23 PM, November 22, 2008  

Great job in the snow!

Shannon 8:02 PM, November 22, 2008  

Your dedicated....I like your "new form" on the pushups.

Jade Lady 8:05 PM, November 22, 2008  

I'm getting cold just looking those photos! You all are die hards! Congrats on your blog win!

KK 9:55 PM, November 22, 2008  

congrats on your workout in the snow AND Best Blog. I totally voted for you, BTW:).

You are a nice friend to buy your running pals treats for after the workout.

Marci 8:28 AM, November 23, 2008  

Running in the snow sounds like fun!

Nice lookin' push ups!

Kate 8:54 AM, November 23, 2008  

Congrats Steve! You deserve the top blog award for sure. I have another sweet crossfit type workout for you. It also involves stairs, running, push ups and sit ups but how many you do depends on how fast you run. If you want it I would be glad to pass it on. :)

Anonymous,  10:41 AM, November 23, 2008  

Good on you guys for getting out there. I'm recovering from a flu-type thing so I'm taking the weekend. Also that workout would kill me I'm sure. :)

Run Mommy 11:12 AM, November 23, 2008  

Hey there, what a fun post! I will definately tune in for more (I love pictures myself :)

TJ 11:17 AM, November 23, 2008  

Dude. That's one crazy bad ass session.
Congrats on the award!

Missy 5:01 PM, November 23, 2008  

Mmmm, donuts...fried dough with sugary frosting.

joyRuN 5:29 PM, November 23, 2008  

Wow. That cross-fit style workout sounded insanely hard-core!

Anonymous,  7:50 PM, November 23, 2008  

Your new workouts are nuts, but super impressive, and maybe even a little tempting..

Your buns looks good - take that how you like..

and congrats on the blogger award - knew you would nail it. Your blog is where I go when I need to look at the lighter side of life. Well done and keep up the good work!

Julianne 11:03 PM, November 23, 2008  

That is sooo harcore working out in the snow!! No body got frost bite????

J~Mom 11:10 PM, November 23, 2008  

I think the low was 60 here today. ;>)

Fizzgig 9:07 AM, November 24, 2008  

ummmmmmm you're like, my hero!

Unknown 10:05 AM, November 24, 2008  

A good pair of ice skates might help with the slipping. Yikes!

Chic Runner 12:17 PM, November 24, 2008  

Can you even run on the snow?! WEIRD! :) ha ha, i'm pretty sure your not moving on those stairs either... it's all a hoax. Nice push up form though, and those repeats are pretty brutal. I wonder if you could keep up with Amp'd ABS! ha ha ha.

Viv 3:57 PM, November 24, 2008  

I think I would freak out just walking on all that snow.

Rainmaker 5:28 PM, November 24, 2008  

Dang dude, that's pretty hardcore. Well...actually, not having a blanket would have been hardcore. ;)

Aron 6:24 PM, November 24, 2008  

WOW all that snow is just insane to me, i cant even imagine!! you guys are hardcore and looks like you had a blast too :) great job!

ECrunnergirl 8:38 PM, November 24, 2008  

Oh that white stuff makes me shiver.....but you guys look GREAT and so hardcore to go out in that cold!

Love that crossfit stuff..its giving me some inspiration:>

rr 1:27 AM, December 05, 2008  

Hi Steve!

What the hell is all that white powder? You must live in Columbia? Off to read further to pinpoint where you are located..

Nice mi splits!

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.