Make My Day and a Blogger Interval Invite

>> Thursday, November 13, 2008

Yesterday, I had a rough morning where I had to fail a “good” student. Then, just after that, I had a pick-me-up. This e-mail, with "I pulled a 'steve'" as it's subject, was sitting in my inbox from someone named Mindy:

My friend Jen and I read your site as often as our work schedule allows us to mess around. We think you’re hilarious.

So I went to Chicago this past weekend to do the “Go Vertical Chicago”, the race to the top of the Sears Tower… and just to make myself smile, I pulled a “Steve.”

I couldn’t locate a black marker at 5:30am, but a blue pen still made my day.

Keep up the good work Steve and Pharmie – you’re inspiration to us!

And this image was attached:



That made my day! If you recall, in any race where they mark my age on my leg, I ALWAYS ask the body-marker to place a smiley face on my other calf:


With Danielle and MissAllyCat at the Chisago Lakes Tri


Heading to the start of my most recent half IM with Pharmie


Finishing the bike at IM WI 2007

In other news: Borsch and I are recruiting local runners who want to do a interval workout on Saturday at 9 am in St. Paul. So far there are 6 of us: Borsch and myself; my wife Pharmie; Greg and Laura who both did Steelhead 70.3 this past year with Pharmie; and Julia who I met at a spinning class at the Y. If you have a good memory, you’ll remember seeing Greg on my blog before he started Steelhead - he forgot his bandaids for his nip-nips, so I gave him 2 of my bacon bandaids:



So if you’re interested, let me know! We’re all meeting at the University of St. Thomas track at 9 am on Saturday morning. It’s just about a mile south of I94 off the Cretin/Vandaila exit.







Borsch and I have an 800/100/200/100 x5 workout that we’re going to try, but we’re going to be running at different paces. Julia is going to run a 5K on the track. I don’t know what Laura and Greg are going to do. So swing by and run with us if you’re available - we’ll have all speeds running out there! We hope to do something like this every few weeks. Maybe a “stairs” workout shortly...

Again, there are just a few days left to vote for Steve in a Speedo for best Endurance Blog! Voting is closed on Sunday night!!

I’ll have photos from the interval workout on Saturday. And there’s a new Friday Funny coming tomorrow!

23 comments:

Unknown 3:59 AM, November 13, 2008  
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
J 6:33 AM, November 13, 2008  

Seems like you are stalking the St. Thomas track with those satellite pictures lol. Good luck with that saturday workout - I am interested to know how it turns out.

teacherwoman 6:54 AM, November 13, 2008  

I am actually going to be in the cities this weekend. I plan on doing the 5K Turkey Trot in Chaska, and then just chillaxin' with the sis and bro-in-law!

Charlotte 9:16 AM, November 13, 2008  

Thanks for the invite Steve! That sounds like a lot of fun but sadly we are running the birthday party gauntlet with the kids this Saturday AM. I can't deprive my kids of their right to eat pinata guts;) Hopefully you can do it again before the weather gets bad though!

Ms. R 9:45 AM, November 13, 2008  

It sounds like the Fury and I are headed down to Rochester to see family early Satuday morning. Ms. R = not happy. I would rather be running! Let me know about any future workouts because I can walk up to the track and meet you guys!

Unknown 9:56 AM, November 13, 2008  

If i lived closer I would SOOO join you!

K 10:15 AM, November 13, 2008  

Gosh I wish I could join. But I WILL be putting smiley faces on my calves henceforth.

tfh 10:16 AM, November 13, 2008  

I love the smiley faces. I also am so grateful to all runners who tattoo their calves. Anything to catch my eye and make me smile during a race is much appreciated!

Lisa T 10:42 AM, November 13, 2008  

I have to have those bandaids!

Glaven Q. Heisenberg 10:56 AM, November 13, 2008  

Yeah, those band aids! My wife is a lover of all pig-meat products and The mind! It simply reels! with ideas regarding body-placement for those lil porkers.

Ms. R 1:06 PM, November 13, 2008  

STALKER!!!! hehe ...or actually, Howdy Neighbor :)

The Fury and I live 2 blks off the river road on Desnoyer Ave, right by the Lake St. Bridge and the Town and Country Golf Club.

Viv 1:18 PM, November 13, 2008  

That :-) email and pic is so cool!

Chris 2:17 PM, November 13, 2008  

Sounds like fun. I will see if I can get some time away to join you all. I will warn you that I am terribly, TERRIBLY out of shape, though!

Calyx Meredith 2:41 PM, November 13, 2008  

Mmm - stairs and intervals - what a tempting invite. Too bad I can't get there from here. But I think I'll draw a smiley face on my left calf in a show of support. Will that do? :D

Judi 4:33 PM, November 13, 2008  

I wish I could do a track workout with you guys. I hate them! They suck and they make me want to crap my pants!

Michelle 6:08 PM, November 13, 2008  

AH man i wish i could join you but hmmm i'm in another state!!

Still voting for you dude!

Darcy Franklin 8:19 PM, November 13, 2008  

We will be in Ann Arbor for the Michigan/Northwester game!!! I will be doing intervals at the U of M track so I will be there in spirit!

X-Country2 8:25 PM, November 13, 2008  

I have those band-aids too! Urban Outfitters, yo.

I'd come run with you if I lived in MN.

Kim 9:24 PM, November 13, 2008  

wow, where on earth did you get those bacon bandaids? MUST get them for xmas gifts this year!!

Anonymous,  11:31 PM, November 13, 2008  

thanks, for the blog

Julianne 11:51 PM, November 13, 2008  

I love those band-aids!!! Hehe. They make me laugh! :-) Oh I wish I could do track workouts with you guys...

KodaFit 1:30 AM, November 16, 2008  

"On the other calf"?

I've been having the the markers put the smiley face on the same calf as the number - no wonder my times have been way down...

I'll have to switch it over to the other side - so I can be more like Steve!

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.