I’m Proudly Sore Today

>> Thursday, July 31, 2008

You know those good workouts at the gym that leave you sore the next day? It’s not a “Dang it, I hurt myself” sore; it’s more of a “Sweet, I worked my ass off” kind of sore. I’m sore like that today.

I wanted a real good free weight workout at the Y yesterday. If you’ve been following my blog for a while, you know that when I want a REALLY good workout, I keep track of all of the exercises that I do. I only do this during the “off season” because I can’t go too nuts lifting weights during the heart of the summer. When I’m done, I figure out how much weight I lifted.

For example, my heaviest set doing the bench press was 175 lbs for 8 reps. So I take 175 x 8 for a total of 1400 pounds. Others are lighter: 10 shoulder flys with a 15 lb dumbbell in each hand comes to 300 pounds (10 x 30). I total up how much weight I “lifted” during the workout. It’s not a perfect judge of how good the workout was, but it’s just a fun way to compare the intensity from one workout to another.

I had a few workouts this past winter (upper and lower body combined) that totaled over 50,000 pounds. My highest was nearly 52,000 pounds, and anything over 35,000 is considered a pretty good workout for me.

Yesterday at the Y, I only did an upper body workout, and in 55-60 minutes, I totaled 48,205 pounds. ONLY upper body. Best. Upper. Body. Workout. Ever. THEN, last night, I did 110 pushups at home (I’m finishing up week 2 of the “100 Pushup Challenge” - more on that in a week [it’s got its pros and cons]).

Putting on deodorant today was tough. I cringed a bit when getting the milk out of the fridge for my cereal. My boobs hurt and my shoulders are tight. Yes, I am proudly sore today.

Pharmie and I are heading out to Steelhead 70.3 early tomorrow morning. She’ll be competing, and I’ll be cheering (see previous post - oh, and add wrist bands and a head band out the outfit in the last post too). I’ll be seeing some of you out there! Good luck racers!

22 comments:

Jess 8:30 AM, July 31, 2008  

That is a good sore when the deodorant application hurts!

Teacher Pursuits 8:40 AM, July 31, 2008  

My favorite sore is the "I can't wash my hair" sore. :)

Kim 8:46 AM, July 31, 2008  

my boobs are also sore. but not for the same reason. dang. have a great time at steelhead, ill be cheering pharmie on from boston!

Jenny Davidson 8:52 AM, July 31, 2008  

Good luck to Pharmie and other racers! Let us know what you think of the 100 pushup program - my sister-in-law forwarded me that link last week and I have vaguely said that I will do it, but am not sure I can be bothered to approach it in the way they recommend!

Gotta Run..... 9:01 AM, July 31, 2008  

That is a serious workout. I re-commited to weights this week....again. Sometimes it is just hard fitting it all in but I know it is a must.

Have a blast at the race and best of luck to Pharmie!!!

:) 9:32 AM, July 31, 2008  

sore boobs - not good. ;) poor pharmie.

Yes, the "honey, can you come shampoo my hair" soreness is best.

Joy | Love | Chaos 9:34 AM, July 31, 2008  

Dude...was thinking about your suspenders quandary and think you should definitely add some bandaids to the mix. Like a preemptive strike against suspender on nip rub.

I can't believe I just typed that sentence.

Sarah 9:34 AM, July 31, 2008  

Nice job on the workout!! And have a blast at Steelhead. I've got to go wish Pharmie good luck!

Kevin 10:18 AM, July 31, 2008  

Going for the full retro 80s look. eh?

Good luck pharmie

CoachLiz 11:59 AM, July 31, 2008  

Sore Boobs??!!?? LOL!

Let's hope your boobs and arms recover to act as gear sherpa for Pharmie.

Gotta get those arms up to ring a cowbell and cheer as well.

Amytrigirl (aka Amybee) 12:13 PM, July 31, 2008  

You are a MACHINE.

Enjoy being a spectator and GOOD LUCK TO PHARMIE!

IronGambit 12:15 PM, July 31, 2008  

my butt is sore from flying all over the globe :(

Katelin 3:05 PM, July 31, 2008  

i love feelings sore from working out, i agree it's refreshing...sort of.

Judi 7:23 PM, July 31, 2008  

I did weights last night too. My legs are sore. Have a great weekend!

teacherwoman 8:23 PM, July 31, 2008  

I love that feeling! I had that tuesday after lifting weights... and felt the side effects yesterday as well! :)

duchossois 6:03 AM, August 01, 2008  

Nice work with the upper body workout, Hulk.

Unknown 7:21 AM, August 01, 2008  

Have fun at Steelhead. I'm sure the athletes will get a kick out of seeing you out there. :)

Tammy 11:35 AM, August 01, 2008  

Nice upper body workout!

Good luck to Pharmie!

ncrunner12 12:59 PM, August 01, 2008  

That really is the best "sore" ever. But it always seems like the second day is worse... good luck.

jen 1:41 PM, August 01, 2008  

Nice weights workout! I should really be doing that.

Have a great weekend and best of luck to Pharmie! :)

Viv 6:54 PM, August 01, 2008  

You kids have a great weekend, good luck Pharmie!!

Darrell 1:42 PM, August 02, 2008  

That sore IS a good kind of sore.

Good luck to Pharmie at the 1/2 IM and good luck to you with those suspenders.

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.