Chisago Lakes Sprint Triathlon Report

>> Sunday, July 27, 2008

Or “Sweet Bloggy Meet-Up!”

Or “Fastest Bike Split EVER!”

Or “This race report brought to you by the letter ‘P’ for “Preservatives.”

Pre Race:

So I lived up to my word in my last post: I ate CRAP the day before this triathlon. Friday night, Pharmie and I ordered Thai:



On Saturday (the day before the race), I ate some of the crap that was shown in my previous post. My lunch consisted of a 4-meat Totinos pizza and a can of Mac and Cheese:


I add extra cheese to Totinos pizzas



The Mac and Cheese didn’t want to be eaten - it just wanted to stay home:



But in no time, both were in my belly:




I’ve stopped using a plate with Totinos - I just carry
the cutting board to the table and eat off of that

My thoughts on the canned Mac and Cheese: The first half of the can was actually quite delicious: rich and creamy. The last half started tasting like wet cardboard. I’d eat it again, but in shifts. So my the final numbers from just my lunch the day before the race look like this (Totinos and canned Mac and Cheese combined):

The bad news:
1160 calories (500 fat calories)
56 grams of fat (86% of my Daily Value)
20 grams of saturated fat (110% D.V.)

The not-so-bad news:
3440 mg of sodium (144% D.V.)
122 grams of carbs (42% D.V.)
42 grams of protein (84% D.V.)
80% D.V. of calcium

I needed that sodium, because I’d be sweating a lot the next day. I needed to carbo-load, so those carbs didn’t go to waste. Protein is good. And so is calcium.

AND THAT WAS JUST LUNCH!! A few hours after that, I went to a work-related pot-luck (uh-oh), and I had a brat, half a burger, a LOT of guacamole and chips, some pasta salad, and a couple of cookies. I was fueled for my race!

Race Morning:

I woke up at 3:45 am after a night of restless sleep. For good luck, I taped the Mac and Cheese label to one of my water bottles (I really don’t know HOW this is lucky):



I got loaded up and was on the road by 4:45. I got to the race site, got my race packet, went back to my car for my gear, and set up my transition:



Notice that sweet, sweet, torn, paper sack under my bike? That’s my gear bag. Come on Zoot, TYR, Blue Seventy, or anyone else - I could use a gear bag! Please? Anything beats my paper sack.

I walked down to the water while it was still calm and quiet. You can see the 5 yellow markers for the short 400 meter sprint course, and all the orange markers (that nearly reach the far shore) for the much longer 1.2 mile half IM course:



Then I stopped at a port-o-potty because there wasn’t a line yet!


First self-portrait in a port-o-john mirror! Sweet!
(Notice my hand - I was in wave 21)

Then back in transition, I ran into 2 bloggers: Danielle in Iowa and Miss Allycat:



I was quickly introduced to Karen (who actually snapped the above photo), a friend of Miss Allycat. TODAY WAS THEIR FIRST TRIATHLON!! For both of them! They were excited!

I showed the ladies my sweet, sweet smiley face on my calf that I asked the body-marker to draw on for me. They were jealous. I pulled a Sharpie out of my pocket and marked Danielle and Miss Allycat with smiley faces to make them feel better:


I’m the girlish one in the middle.
At least my smiley is the biggest...

Well, that was that. Time to drop the camera, all our extra clothes, and get down to the start. Danielle, Miss Allycat, Karen, and I stuck together until our starting times. We all scoped out the scene, and I was trying to be helpful (but not that “overly helpful jerk” that we’ve all met) to the 2 newbies. I think they had their plan, and they both knew what they were getting into.

We watched the 8 waves of half IM triathletes take off, along with the first few of the short course athletes. I told the 2 newbies that they weren’t triathletes until they peed in the lake. So I waded into the water to do my pre-race business. I was in waist deep water, and I let it flow.

“Hey Miss Allycat!...” I said with smirk and a thumbs up. She looked over and laughed. She knew what I was doing. “Now you can say you’ve seen me pee!” I exclaimed with a smile. She walked up next to me and paused for a second. “Well...” she said to me, “now YOU can same the same about ME!” Sweet. We both peed for a minute next to one another. That was “Step One” for Miss Allycat in becoming a real triathlete.

Oh, and as we were getting ready to swim, we saw MN triathlon stud David Thompson walk by. All the half IM swimmers had gone out a long time before. I asked him what he was doing out of the water. He said that he just registered race morning, and the line was an hour and a half long. He JUST got registered. So they let him start late. I wished him luck. He’s so personable for being such a big-shot super-stud; he’s always nice to talk to, even if he doesn’t know you. Karen thought he was HOT! I told her that he was married to Hannah from Gear West. She knew Hannah because Hannah helped her while she was looking at aero bars. Karen thought BOTH of them were hot, so she said something like “I don’t want to break up their marriage and sleep with David. So I’ll invite Hannah too, and we can have a threesome.” Gotta love a woman with a plan! Go get em’ Karen!

Swim (0.25 miles):

I took off in wave 21, and went out well. I hit a major “log jam” of swimmers when I was nearing the turn-around: I think a few people collided, and more people swam up on them. I got around the mess pretty easily. I hit the turn around in 4:47. That was slow. Talking with Danielle afterward, she thought the swim seemed long too, so I’ll go with that.

I lost my form a little on the way back - I was trying to go a little faster than I should have. The good news is that my calf didn’t cramp up like it did 2 weeks ago! I hit the shore in 10:30, but the swim didn’t technically end until way up a grassy hill at the edge of transition. So that added nearly 40 more seconds to my “official” swim time.

T1:

Nothing fancy here. The only thing to note is that I decided to bike and run topless. Two weeks ago at the LTF Triathlon, I struggled A LOT with my shirt in T1 - I actually had to take it off and give a second run at it. So today, I wasn’t going to bother. I think topless cyclists look a little trashy, but I didn’t care. I was off on the bike in my topless glory, folds of skin bunching at my mid-section. Trashy. My apologies.

Bike (17 miles):

I really wanted to attack the bike today. I’ve been focusing on that all year. I went out pretty hard. People TOTALLY forgot to stay right during the first few miles. I passed a lot of people on the right. People were all over the road. It was pretty frustrating. It got better as we got farther into the ride.

My biggest excitement on the bike was at about mile 2. I went for a drink from my Gatorade bottle. I had a swig, and then the bottle flew out of my hands. “Crap,” I thought. But it was only a 17 mile bike, so I didn’t think I’d need that much liquid (I had another bottle with just water), and I had gel for calories.

After 5 miles, my average was 21.4 mph. That’s CRAZY FAST for me! I’ve never averaged over 20 mph in a race. At about mile 10, my average was 21.5 mph (down from my peak of 21.6). There were a few more hills in the last half, but I was able to roll into transition with my computer reading 21.0 mph. THAT’S FREAKIN’ FAST FOR ME! I’d never broken 20 mph before (officially, my average was 20.0 mph two weeks ago at the LTF Tri, but my computer read 19.7 mph). I hit T2 feeling REALLY good about my performance thus far.

T2:

In and out quick. I was trying to do better in transitions today. I threw on my shoes, and I was off in 1:07, even though I was in a crappy corner of the transition zone.

Run (5K):

I wanted to break 20 on the run, but I really didn’t know what I could do after having a faster than usual bike split. I saw Jumper cheering out on the run. I gave him a high-five (and later he told me he held up his hand and bad shoulder - I felt bad for that! I hope I didn’t hurt his shoulder!). I hit mile 1 at 6:30, and I hit the turn around in 10:15. “Crap,” I thought (again). I’d need to run a negative split during a triathlon in order to keep my 5K under 20 minutes. “Well, I won’t know unless I give it a try...” So I picked it up.

I was running pretty uncomfortably. I missed the “mile 2” marker, so I had no idea if I had a chance at sub-20. I was passing all kinds of people. And, unlike last week where 1 person passed me, today NO ONE passed me on the run! Sweet!! I saw the finish area coming up, but there were a couple of sharp turns and one last little hill. I booked it to the finish line, and my official 5K split was 19:58.20. Sub-20! (Barely!) And a negative split! (Which I don’t think I’ve ever done on a run during a triathlon!)

Official Results:
• 0.25 Mile Swim: 11:07 (included a run up a hill to T1)
• T1: 1:58
• 17.0 Mile Bike: 48:52 (20.9 mph)
• T2: 1:07
• 5K Run: 19:58 (6:26 / mile)
• Total: 1:23:03

• Overall Place: 73 out of 781
• Age Group: 16 out of 52

Highlights:
• Posted fastest average bike speed in a race (20.9 official, 21.0 computer - my PR used to be 20.0 official, 19.7 computer).
• Placed 17th out of 781 on the run, and 6th in my A.G. on the run!
• My strained calf, weak heel, and bad knee all stayed in check!
• Got to meet up with some awesome blogger buddies!!

Post Race:

I was hungry. At the finish of this race, they have fresh Swedish pancakes! So I had 2 plates:





As I was eating, I was looking for Danielle, Karen, and Miss Allycat to come to the finish line. I totally missed Karen, as she finished her first triathlon in 1:30! Nice job Karen! (Now good luck with that threesome...) Danielle came running by first. But there was a catch. All the ladies made me promise not to post photos of them in spandex without their approval. So I told them instead of putting black bars over their eyes to protect their identity, I’d place a black box over everything EXCEPT their eyes (as to cover the spandex). So here’s Danielle getting ready to conquer that last hill:



And here’s Miss Allycat finishing up her first tri:



Here’s Miss Allycat and Karen in line for food after finishing their FIRST triathlon!



They both had a great time and can’t wait to do it again! I’m so happy for them! Way to go, ladies!!

Time to unveil the secret finishers food that I brought along:



I brought 2 cans of Spaghetti-Os and 3 spoons for anyone to share. No one wanted any except for Danielle and I:


My mouth isn’t really that crooked...



It only took us each a few minutes, and we were left with this:



I think I’ve found a new post-race tradition! SPAGHETTI-Os ROCK!! I don’t like eating cold food, but cold Spaghetti-Os after a race are GREAT! If we ever race together, and you want a delicious snack afterwards, let me know!! I’ll bring you a can and we can chow down together!

So the five of us (Jumper, Me, Miss Allycat, Danielle, and Karen) hung out for a few hours and watched the half IM folks run and finish:


Apparently, we had to line up tallest to shortest...

Oh yeah, notice the short yellow shorts “bowl full of sunshine” over my crotch. I threw them on as soon as I finished, so I could cheer for everyone else with a little "flavor." I didn’t run in them, but I couldn’t NOT wear them for an event.

We saw IronJenny take off on the run. She ended up placing 2nd in her AG with a half IM time of 5:18!! Nice job Jenny!



As we were cheering, we saw TacBoy come out of T2. He had to pee, but he was disguising it well:



He hung out for a few minutes waiting for his wife, TriMama. They posed for a photo...



...and then took off to conquer the run together. I also saw (and hugged) TriMom as she was starting the run course. But she caught me off guard, so I didn't get a photo. Shortly after, I got packed up, and hit the road. It was getting hot, and I was ready for some A/C.

So just to round off the weekend nicely, I got home today and had another Totinos:



Overall, it was a GREAT day! I got to meet up with a few old blogger friends, I got to meet face-to-face for the first time with other blogger friends, and I had a decent race on top of it all! Hurrah!

Check back in a few days for official photos! Thanks everyone!

73 comments:

Chad 9:06 PM, July 27, 2008  

Great race, and I have no idea how you eat all that before the race!!

Totally digging the no shirt on the bike and the run. At 5'10" and 200 pounds, there is a lot of bunching going on in my mid-section. However, I have yet to do a race with a shirt on. I am the poster child for immodesty.

bigmike600 9:11 PM, July 27, 2008  

Steve
Blazing fast. Does any of that bad eating make you fart? Man I would be blastin em out.

Here is my promise to you...If you don't have a transition bag by Christmas, Jenny and I will buy you one. You blog posts are one of my favorite reads now and I really look forward to the race reports.

Jenny and I have already figured that if you guys do Chisago next year, so will we. But I can not, will not, and for sure can't eat that crappy or I will take several crappys.

Nice job.

Unknown 9:18 PM, July 27, 2008  

Excellent rrace as usual.
So, we were at WalMart the other day shopping for bargains when lo and behold we see a pair of yellow mesh shorty shorts, the female version of th bicket full of sunshine. I was so tempted to get them and send them to Pharmie, but I abstained.... for her sake really.
Great job!

Rainmaker 9:22 PM, July 27, 2008  

Your ability to consume copious amounts of bad food astounds me even more than your rockin times!

Congrats!

Tea 9:24 PM, July 27, 2008  

Another great race report!

to save you the embarassment....paper bags are SO last year. you might want to consider graduating to the "Plastic" option of "paper or plastic"

Herself, the GeekGirl 9:30 PM, July 27, 2008  

Outstanding job! I'm of the opinion that you can't eat too crappy before a triathlon: The more simple carbs and sodium the better. MY favorite prerace meal has become the cheapest, nastiest Ramen you can find, the 6/$1 stuff.

TRI TO BE FUNNY 9:30 PM, July 27, 2008  

Dude--

As a chick who eats a carrot and seemingly gains 10lbs, you officially make me sick. Still, though, I'd love to share some spaghetti-os with you after a race someday!! Nice job out there!!!

Lisa 9:31 PM, July 27, 2008  

I LOVE your race reports! I personally would be upchucking all over the place if I ate that the day before the race... I'm a little jealous. I'm also jealous of how many tribloggers you know! A triathlon is the funnest blogger meet up I can think of! I'm off to search for some local triathlete bloggers... this could be great!

Jade Lady 9:33 PM, July 27, 2008  

Maybe I need to switch to Totino pizzas and crap food...maybe that's the secret! Congrats on your times! You are so fast - it's unbelievable!

SingletrackJenny (formerly known as IronJenny) 9:38 PM, July 27, 2008  

You are so modest! When I asked how your race wnet you said, " I did ok" -- you did AWESOME! Sub 20:00 alone is pretty fast, but after swimming and biking and transitioning up hills - that is smokin'!
By the way - is that the Virgin Mary in the syrup on that post-race pancake? Are you going to offer it on eBay?
Great seeing you!
Jenny

Kelly 9:48 PM, July 27, 2008  

Congrats on another great race. You can just do them in your sleep now, can't you?

Danielle in Iowa in Ireland 9:51 PM, July 27, 2008  

Nice seeing you again and thanks for the smiley face and spaghettios! Yum!

Lauren @ mostly i run 9:52 PM, July 27, 2008  

Hmm, I'm not sure I'll be looking to you for nutrition advice.

Though, it seems to have worked for you!

Amytrigirl (aka Amybee) 10:02 PM, July 27, 2008  

First, congrats on your awesome bike time. 20mph+ WOW!

Second: very impressive on the amount of food you can consume. If I even LOOK at that much food, I bloat out like a Willy Wonka blueberry.

I think I'll go back and look at the empty cans of spagetti-os and cry now...

Unknown 10:14 PM, July 27, 2008  

I love your race reports! I plan to do my first tri next year. I'm doing my first long distance relay race this fall. I might have to get some tips from ya about the tri next year if you plan to come down to IA and defend your Doughnut run title.

Eileen Swanson 10:18 PM, July 27, 2008  

WOW! Now that is some serious food....How was it all? NICE!
HAHA!

E

Collin Kromke 10:22 PM, July 27, 2008  

Diet Coke shot out my nose when I saw the pic of the Mac & Cheese taped to the water bottle. Is that the one you lost?

CoachLiz 10:29 PM, July 27, 2008  

Great bike split!

I was so glad to see that the "bucket o' sunshine" made it to the race.

ugh! My stomach hurts thinking about all you ate. It also makes me very itchy, lol. Everything you ate, the Totinos, Spagettio's, pancakes, and the syrup I am allergic to. However, the Pad Tai noodles i can eat because they are rice noodles. Yum, Pad Tai!!! I will leave the crap eating to you. As Big Mike said, doesn't that stuff make you gassy???

MissAllycat 10:35 PM, July 27, 2008  

Loved your recap. I nearly peed myself when I saw the blacked out pics of Danielle and me.

Note to self: peeing on the couch is not as cool as peeing in the lake.

It was so great to finally meet you...I'll see you around. The magic 8 ball says that there are more tris in my future. :)

KK 10:55 PM, July 27, 2008  

great race. AWESOME bike split, you hammered it! Congrats.

Bruce Stewart (施樸樂) (ブルース・スチュワート) 12:22 AM, July 28, 2008  

It's good you had a lot of fun. Reminds me of the Mango races in Kona, Hawaii, always informal, short and speedy and a lot of hanging out in the sunshine with friends.

RBR 12:51 AM, July 28, 2008  

Thanks. I gained weight just reading about what you ate.

You ROCKED that race! But I am a little disappointed there were no pictures of your trashy exhibition. Borsch is falling down on the job!

Awesome pictures of your blogger buddies! Congrats again!

C 3:54 AM, July 28, 2008  

Lord man! How does your stomach not just implode from all of that stuff?! Having said that, I really miss Totinos.

Great job on the race!

Marcy 6:27 AM, July 28, 2008  

What kind of shits do you produce for God's sake? Dayum homie and I thought I was bad as far as healthy eating goes LOL AWESOME job on the race. Very weet!

Jodi 6:55 AM, July 28, 2008  

Awesome race report!

I will look for you at Steelhead. Not sure how I will spot you. I mean, guys with short shorts and suspenders are like a dime a dozen these days...

;-)

Jodi

Kevin 7:42 AM, July 28, 2008  

Great race report. If I ate all that stuff the night before, I dont think Id ever make it out the portajohn!! More power to you

Jess 8:19 AM, July 28, 2008  

I have gut rot just LOOKING at that food, but it seems to have worked for you. Nice job on the race!

xt4 9:01 AM, July 28, 2008  

I think instead of gels, etc., you should tape cans of Spaghetti-O's to your top tube and down it during the bike. I think that would rule.

GREAT WORK on your bike split, and your crazy fast run time as always, but on making that negative split like you wanted. Kickass!

Considering Chisago Half Iron next year, and Lifetime fo' sho', so hopefully I can share some race space with Steve & Pharmie next summer -

Runner Leana 9:40 AM, July 28, 2008  

Fantastic race! Great job on your smokin' fast bike and run times. All that food...seriously...my stomach wouldn't be able to handle it for sure! The pizza sure does look good though...

Gotta Run..... 10:50 AM, July 28, 2008  

Mac and Cheese from a can.... YUCK!!!!

You times were freaking sweet. Your run pace... amazing. T1 and T2.... GREAT JOB. You rocked this one for sure.

Love the full post details and pictures.

Unknown 12:44 PM, July 28, 2008  

Great race! You had an awesome bike!!! And I love that your stomach can handle the food, although Mac and Cheese out of a can just isn't right! I am with you on adding cheese to the pizza though - that's the negative with frozen pizzas!

Brian 1:09 PM, July 28, 2008  

With all those calories you should have done the full. you're lucky you have good genes.
looks like a fun time

brendaj 1:25 PM, July 28, 2008  

Great job!! I feel like I should loan my tri bag to you since I haven't made good use of it the last 3 years!

Sara 2:25 PM, July 28, 2008  

Great race! It is awesome that there are so many great triathletes in your area!!

I almost ralphed up my lunch seeing the canned mac and cheese. That image is going to haunt me!

trigirl82 2:45 PM, July 28, 2008  

Mmmm, Spaghettios... (yum). :-)

I love reading your blog. I just thought I should finally post a comment and tell you. Hopefully your life is complete now with that knowledge. Haha.

Keep up the good work.. and all that good stuff. :-)

Teacher Pursuits 4:43 PM, July 28, 2008  

Congrats!! Awesome race report... LOVE the pictures. And now...

I want pad thai!

(I am content with retiring spaghetti o's forever from my menu but that pizza thing looks delicious and even more so on the cutting board... it gourmet style.)

J~Mom 4:59 PM, July 28, 2008  

How in the world do you eat like that? I gained weight just reading this post!! Congrats on your triathlon!!

SM 5:28 PM, July 28, 2008  

Great job on the race!
I love to eat spaghetti-os from the can...I might have to do that after my first tri in August!!!

Katelin 6:27 PM, July 28, 2008  

nice job on the race! i seriously admire anyone who can race since i am such a non-runner, haha. and seriously all that food just makes me hungry, mmmmmpizza.

triguyjt 8:09 PM, July 28, 2008  

big question....
why didn't tac boy pee before the race???

he never attended the steve school of lake replenishment????

the bottle that flew off the bike??was it the one with the new label????

fun stuff as always

triguyjt 8:11 PM, July 28, 2008  

ohh yeah..in the spirit of recyling..why not just use one of those supermarket cloth bags ...who needs tyr and the others!!!!
plus we will be impressed at your committment to the enviroment, other than when you pee in lakes..LOL

Kelly 10:00 PM, July 28, 2008  

Congrats on the race. Nice job on the bike and the run. Very impressive. And fyi, cold Spaghetti-Os sounds disgusting.

cheers. :D

Frayed Laces 1:24 AM, July 29, 2008  

Congrats on the great race, and sweet porta-potty headshot.

All I can think about when I see your food is "anal leakage"

RunBubbaRun 6:18 AM, July 29, 2008  

Great job out there. NIce pics of everybody who was out there..

SPAGHETTI-Os, I might have to try that on my trail runs.

Michelle 6:27 AM, July 29, 2008  

darn it! i wish i could have been there. that is a great race. you are a super studly runner and biker now too! great race!

Unknown 7:00 AM, July 29, 2008  

Just thinking about your pre-race "nutrition" just about makes me sick, but it obviously works for you. Great race!!

Sarah 9:02 AM, July 29, 2008  

Hey Steve! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I LOOOVE Totinos pizza as well. My roommates get so grossed out by my $1.50 pizza consumption. Unfortunately, my local grocery store stopped carrying it after the Totinos e-coli outbreak a few months back, but I go out of my way to get my hands on it.

Eric 12:08 PM, July 29, 2008  

You have quite an eclectic diet to say the least!!!

Michelle 1:25 PM, July 29, 2008  

Great pictures! Great shorts! Great food! Great report! Great Day!

!!

Rachel 1:38 PM, July 29, 2008  

Nice Report! I don't know how you stomached that mac and cheese though...that looked pretty sick!

Anonymous,  4:57 PM, July 29, 2008  

I love your posts.alot.
Im going to have a civil union ceremony with this one.

M.

Lily on the Road 4:57 PM, July 29, 2008  

OMG, I can't stop laughing and crying at the same time, you crack me up!!!

Good job on the race even if you polluted some poor fishies home!!!

sRod 5:31 PM, July 29, 2008  

Wow, way to convince me that tris are fun. Congrats on the race!

E 6:28 PM, July 29, 2008  

I can't believe you ate all that before a race, and then still had an awesome race. Congrats!

Michele 7:32 PM, July 29, 2008  

Life just isn't fair! how can you eat all that junk, stay slim, AND have a great race?!?!?!?

Congrats on your awesome bike split, I can only ride that fast down hill. And a sub 20 5k, only a dream.

TRI Vortex 8:12 PM, July 29, 2008  

Thats a lot of sodium. Should I be eating that because there hasn't been an event where I didn't get a calf cramp. Nice race but cover the spandex. I thought this was Steve-In-A-Speedo. Since when was decency an issue?

Aka Alice 10:40 PM, July 29, 2008  

Dude...that's pre-race meal that Duffman would be proud of (even a sad looking one!)

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Jennifer P 10:46 PM, July 29, 2008  

Shirtless? Oh, you'd be so kicked out of a race here. Torsos must be covered at all times.
Another interesting thing: we hang up our bikes by the seats instead. Oh, us crazy Cannucks.
I got the runs just reading this post. I can't imagine actually eating any of that.

Michelle 5:37 AM, July 30, 2008  

Hey Steve, amazing post! I really enjoyed reading it and seeing you in the port a potty!! Glad you only photographed your face!!

Congrats on the great times!!

M

richvans 7:38 AM, July 30, 2008  

We should all write Kraft and pressure them to put mac n cheese in a pouch - then you could tape them to your top tube.

You keep complimenting my swim times. I'm sure with enough work and coaching you could match them - but I will NEVER run a sub 20 5k in or out of a tri. That's blazin!

Wishing I had hung out after the sprint to meet some of my bloggin idols.

Wes 9:00 AM, July 30, 2008  

Great race report and great pics! Who knew that mac n cheese and spaghetti-o's where such an important part of a triathlete's nutrition?

FYI: I use Krispy Kreme donuts and coffee as m y pre-race breakfast! That'll get ya going in the morning. Literally!

Great job again. Loved the negative split on the run!!

Vickie 9:19 AM, July 30, 2008  

I'll be looking for those yellow shorts Saturday. But you don't have to bring any Spaghetti-Os.

TriSupporter 9:37 AM, July 30, 2008  

Awesome job on the race...breaking 20 on the run--very cool!! Now, really, I'm shocked you can eat that food before and after a race. Maybe you should write a Tri Nutrition Guide. Maybe all that healthy food is just killing others' times.

N.D. 9:40 AM, July 30, 2008  

Nice job on the tri. This post made me hungry. I want that pizza, sans meat.

HiHoRosie 10:22 AM, July 30, 2008  

Thanks for swinging my ol'blog yesterday. Not sure how in the world you found it but new visitors are always welcome! :)

Great job on the tri (gotta fit in with the lingo)! I'm really impressed. My hubby plans to compete in at least one one day. Looks hard yet fun.

Yeah, I'm pretty excited about my free bike. Just found out it's red (my fave color) and it's old (12 yrs or so) yet hardly used. It's free so it's not like I can complain.

Good luck on your next TRI!

Mel 10:48 AM, July 30, 2008  

You are too funny....so what you are saying is that i need to stick to my McDondals food and it will make me have a good race???? I would HATE to see your craps...I bet you fill the bowl...HAHA!!! AND NO I DO NOT NEED TO SEE A PHOTO OF IT..........:)

TriShannon 4:07 PM, July 30, 2008  

Great Race! Now for the food...

I LOVE Mac & Cheese! But from a can? Yuck! At the same time, kind of feel the need to try it. :)

I would definitely share Spaghetti-O's with you post race. I grew up on them, although haven't had them in years. May need to get just one can for old times sake. :)

Last - how can you go wrong with the "party pizza"? So cheap, so good!

Mendy 5:06 PM, July 30, 2008  

Congrats on the great race!!! and having your PR on your bike split, and making that 20min 5K. Simply amazing! Love the report and the pictures as always! Makes me want spaghetti O's now....

Judi 7:22 PM, July 31, 2008  

YAY!! Awesome RR Steve! You all look awesome!

Totino's! YUM! Next time sprinkle some goat cheese on top. Ummmm.

Viv 6:36 PM, August 01, 2008  

Great race and even better report. some of the pictures you post just leave me speechelss...like sitting with mouth open speechless. LOL! Congrats man, great job!

ShesAlwaysWrite 5:01 PM, August 14, 2008  

Duuude! I heart the Totinos! It's my favorite pizza-like-substance.

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.