Car Crash / Bike Ride

>> Thursday, December 28, 2023

NO, I didn't get hit by a car while biking, but YES I was in a car crash. But I'm fine.

My wife worked on Christmas, and my boys and I surprised her that evening at work by stopping by with a Christmas cookie and some snacks for the end of her long double shift. On the way home, it was raining and dark, and I missed a red light and t-boned a truck. I saw it just before it happened and slammed on the brakes and slowed a little. My boys and I were fine, and the guy and his significant other in the truck were even more OK - much less damange to his vehicle. My car made it home without any warning light going off, but I heard some hissing from the radiator area, so I didn't know if it'd be driveable again.

Well, it started up the following day, so I figured I'd try to drive it to our insurance-approved repair shop. It made it there without overheating and STILL with no warning lights going off!


The guy at the shop said "Oh this isn't bad." Hoping there are very few engine issues.


Dropping my car off at the shop, ready to bike home!

That's the upside to this warm December - biking home with no problem! I took the bike rack off, put it in the back seat, left them my keys, and headed for home. Crossing the Mendota Bridge shouldn't look like this at the end of December:


That's the Minnesota River with downtown St. Paul way in the distance.

Drop off was quick, and I got going on my bike so easily that I could tack on some extra miles on the way home. I did an extra 6+ mile loop in the middle of this ride to get over 20 miles on the day:


Across the 35E bridge, back to the Hwy 5 / Mendota Bridge,
BACK to the 35E Bridge AGAIN, then past Hwy 5 again towards home.

Just a 15 mph ride on my mountain bike, but it was nice to be out for 80 mins after a stressful night and morning. Here's hoping I can bike down there again shortly to get my car back!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.