First Long Treadmill Run of the Season

>> Thursday, November 02, 2023

No, not because of the weather. I LIKE cold-weather running. (But icy/slick conditions will get me on the treadmill.)

Monday, I did my long run of 11.0 miles on the treadmill because I was concerned I was going to shit myself. I had bad diarrhea at 1:00 a.m. early on Sunday morning, so I didn't want to be 4 miles from home and realize my stomach wasn't actually better on Monday morning. I think I must have just ate something that was "bad" at a Halloween party on Saturday night. My stomach woke me up early Sunday morning and sent me to the bathroom... where I stayed for nearly an hour. I laid on the floor in the bathroom a while too. But by the time I crawled back into bed, I was feeling much better. I never had any issues after that.

So Monday morning, I hit the treadill for a 2.5 mile warm-up around 8.2 - 8.4 mph, then 6 harder miles starting at 9.0 mph and speeding up 0.1 mph every 1/2 mile (ending at 10.1 mph for the final half mile), and then a 2.5 mile cool-down. That ended up being 11.0 miles in 1:13:35, which is an average pace of 6:41/mile.

My "faster" descending 1/2 mile splits in the middle were:

3:20, 3:16, 3:16, 3:12, 3:11, 3:09, 3:07, 3:05, 3:03, 3:01, 2:59, 2:56 = 37:41 (6:16.83/mile)

My Garmin never knows how to judge pace on a treadmill (based on arm swing), so the pace here looks funky... and the random slivers that drop down are when I wipe my face - I don't stop running, but my arm stopped swinging for a second:


Pace: weird. Heart rate: about right.

Side note: I take my own splits every half-mile on the treadmill because the "arm swing" pace isn't as correct as the treadmill speed/distance. Here's the last 2 half-mile splits of my warm-up, and then 4.5 miles of my harder 6 miles. Notice how when I'm running easier (at the start) that it's closer to right on, but when I'm running harder (later on), it says I've gone farther than 0.50 miles:


This is not a complaint, just what it is. And it's why I take
my own half-mile splits based on the treadmill's half mile.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.