Week in Review: a Little Speed and Some Camping

>> Monday, June 18, 2018

Here's what my training last week looked like:



I missed my swim on Friday because on Friday through Sunday, we were camping with my in-laws in Wisconsin. Here was a photo I posted last night:


Caption: Annual “jeez-I-wish-I-didn’t-have-to-go-hungry-while-camping-with-the-Linders” photo.

- MON: 200s in the pool.
- TUES: easy 5 mile run.
- WED: first hard tempo loop on the bike I posted about last week.
- THURS: long run of 8+ miles.
- FRI: nothing
- SAT: 2.5 mile tempo run in the middle of 6 total miles.
- SUN: long 32 mile ride just over 20 mph.

My run on Saturday was "interesting." First of all, it was hot as f*ck camping in WI this weekend: highs were in the 90s every day, it was super humid, and Saturday night it didn't cool down that much (so I hardly slept). We're in a part of WI with lots of little short hills. So I ran for 2 miles as a warm up, and then hit the hills as my 2.5 "HARD" miles in the middle. My first half mile of the HARD effort was 3:24 which was a bit slow for that effort. (Usually, in a short hard tempo run like this, my HARD effort is around 6:00 pace.) I felt I was climbing, but I wasn't really paying attention - I was just running hard. My next half mile was something I've never seen in during a tempo run: a half-mile split OVER 4:00! It was 4:01! I turned around there and used that hill pick up the pace. My next half-mile split down the hill that gave my my 4:01 split was 2:56. And then I finished the last mile with 3:04 and 2:49 splits. Simple, solid run.

My calves are tight. Gotta work on keeping them loose this week.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.