My Wife at the YWCA Women's Triathlon

>> Monday, August 15, 2016

Yesterday, my wife did her first triathlon of the year: the YWCA Women's Triathlon at Lake Nokomis. The boys and I biked over to cheer her on:

Loaded up and ready to go!

We met speedy Heather Lendway crossing the Lake/Marshall bridge WAYYY out in the lead as we were headed to the race. We also saw other friends along River Road in the freshly-paved areas:

Pretty sure this is Marta and Lydia. Sorry for the blurry photos. But I was biking while
towing 100+ lbs behind me while snapping photos on my phone. So deal with it.

More bikers on the smooth not-even-painted-yet road.

We spotted Devon a few minutes later:

It's a good thing he has his looks.

And then we spotted Mama! GOOOOO MAMA!!!

We got to the race site, saw lots of buddies from the YWCA, and then saw speedy Heather win the race by a big margin just a minute or so off the course record:

Another St. Paulie proving she's better than everyone in Minneapolis.
(As a resident of St. Paul, I'm contractually obligated to make jokes like this.)

The boys cheering at the bike in/out as we waited for Mama.

Here comes Mama!

Love that sign.

High fives as she starts the run course!

How do you deal with 2 boys in a porta potty? Keep shouting "DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING!"
Also, being this was the Women's Tri and this potty was used by 95% women,
I learned that ladies are just as nasty as us dudes. Gross.

Cheering runners into the finisher's chute.

That's Kate from our Y in the orange. (She did the Donut Mile with me on New Year's Eve.)

At this race, you can finish with your kids. So Mama did!

Congrats Mama!

I had to share this: a friend posted this on Facebook after the race, and it was a bunch of mini-stories from the triathlon. (It was posted by the hubby of Kate who's butt was pictured a few photos up.) This was the end of his post, and it's worth sharing:


The boys and I got home a few hours later, and this was the scene:

I Instagrammed that photo with this caption:

It's been an eventful 12 hours. Henry woke up with a horrible cough barely able to breathe last night around 1. We almost took him to the ER, but I decided to sleep with him to make sure he didn't stop breathing. He was breathing better and finally calmed down around 2:30. I woke up both boys from a dead sleep just before 8 to pull them with my bike to see Mama do a triathlon. (We were planning on being there by then, but Henry needed his sleep.) We cheered on Mama, and she got to run down the finisher chute holding on to each boys' hand! Then the boys and I biked to the Y, where Charlie barfed M&Ms all over the playroom slide (Mama gave him lots of post-race M&Ms) and crapped his pants. I got Charlie all cleaned up and did a leg workout at the Y (which was either genius or a horrible idea), and then had a "personal worst" split on the bike ride home from the Y. This was the scene when I pulled into the driveway. Just another day with my dudes. Nice race, Mama!!

Pharmie had nothing but good things to say about this race. She had a great time and finished in about the top 20% overall with a final 5K of 24:something!

Back with more soon, including my first REAL run last night since March!


Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!


Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2019 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.