>> Sunday, August 14, 2011
... well, it was a PARTIAL success. I'll get to that in a moment.
Earlier today, I went on my first run without Henry in about 12 days. I was curious if pushing the stroller was any harder than running "normally." I headed out for a tempo run along the river. This was the plan:
- Warm up for 1 mile: easy.
- "Build" for another mile: 6:45.
- Then 5 tempo miles with descending splits: 6:15, 6:05, 6:00, and then 2 of sub-6 (hopefully), with a 5-mile tempo time of around 30:10.
- Stop to catch your breath for a minute, and then 1 mile CD: easy.
So here's what I ACTUALLY did:
- WU: 7:10 (downhill)
- "Building" mile: 6:39
- Tempo miles:
- 6:12 - thinking "Sweet, I'm gonna NAIL this workout!"
- 6:25. "Oh crap. That hurt."
- 6:29. "F*ck. Can I blame this on the heat?"
- 6:08. "Better, but I NEED to see sub-6 for the final mile."
- 6:10. ".... or not. Shoot."
- 31:26 for the 5 miles.
Part way through the tempo miles, I answered that question: "Is running with the stroller a lot harder than running without it?" No. Not much different. (Oh, also during the run, I ran into Jen V who said HI on her bike, and someone else who I didn't get a good look at right in the middle of my HARD miles. She shouted "STEVE IN A SPEEDO!" And I was only able to offer up a weak "Hi there!" Who were you, stranger?)
But as I mentioned in the opening line, this is still a "partial success." When the miles got hard, I scaled back my speed INSTEAD of going too hard and having to stop and walk. Having to walk twice at the Waseca Triathlon 2 weeks ago has scared me a little.... I'm NOT against walking, but I don't want to lose track of my perceived effort and ALWAYS have to walk because I ALWAYS go out too hard. So I was OK with easing back a little on this workout. In a week or 2, I'm going to be pushing harder, and THEN I might make it a point to go so hard that I might have to walk. But not today.
So that run (although it was only ONE run) cemented the "sub-60 isn't possible for the TC 10 Mile this year" thoughts in my head. That's not a bad thing - you can't PR every year! This year is definitely more about hanging out with Henry!
And speaking of Henry, here's a photo of him hanging out on my lap this morning in bed:
And a few hours after my run, I took Henry for a 90 minute walk while Pharmie was out on a 12 mile run:
Watching the sunset