From Trash to a Valentine’s Present

>> Sunday, February 14, 2010

Friday, some people were watching my Twitter feed as I was making a Valentine’s Day Present for Pharmie. First I said this:

Making my wife a Valentine's Day present - she'll either love it or hate it.... [gulp]...

And about an hour later, I tweeted this:

Valentines for m' lady is turning out OK. Still unsure how she'll like it....

And then yesterday morning, I tweeted this:

Dear semi-hot soccer mom at the Y: I don't care how hot you THINK you are, but you NEED to wear a bra if you're doing that.

OK, so that last one is unrelated. Whatever.

Anyway, back to my potentially good Valentine’s Day present.

Here’s what you need to know: over my Spring Break last year, I re-did one of our guest rooms. Here are 2 “before” shots:





In typical home-owner fashion, 4 weeks later we were done with our 4 day project. Good riddance. We had the floors refinished by a pro, and then we took down the shelves, patched the walls, fixed the ceiling, scraped the radiator, repainted everything, replaced the ceiling fan, replaced a broken wall fixture, and repainted the radiator. (Not to mention all the crap I did in the closet.) Here are 2 “after” shots to match up with the 2 above:





Until 2 days ago, we still had the torn-down shelving in our basement. The idea was to take good measurements so I could rebuild something similar in the future (but keep it unpainted and “prettier”). We like the look of the room so much the way it is NOW, that I don’t think we’ll end up putting up shelves. I deep cleaned the basement as part of my Valentine's Day present to Pharmie - and that included taking out the old shelving pieces and cutting them up to throw them away.

Well, I took some measurements and turned some of that junk into a (possibly charming) little shelf for the guest room. It was SOO beat up because those shelves were in the “boys room” when we bought the house, that I actually had to give it another little coat of paint. There was a quart of paint in our basement that came with the house labeled “shelves - bedroom,” so I re-coated it with a thin coat of paint, and called it good.

I think it will fit fine next to the radiator in that bedroom...



... or as a bedside table:



So to everyone wondering as they read my Twitter feed: Pharmie approved of the gift! (She’s not 100% sure about how red it is, so we might re-paint it sometime...) I just thought it was fun to have something that was trashed from the remodel being used back in that room.

Oh, and if you’re wondering: NO, that's not ALL I got Pharmie. I also got her a cake pan. And she got me a snow shovel. For Valentine’s Day. Really. We’re romantic like that. ;)

Check my previous post for some solid workouts from last week. And make sure to stop back and see my next post which will feature the top contenders in the “Gnarliest Injury Photo Contest!” It’s gonna be wicked! You’ll get to vote for your favorite! Just make sure to not view while you’re eating...

9 comments:

Coach Liz 8:49 AM, February 14, 2010  

Nice job on the bed side table. My vote is to paint it white to match the trim and other furniture in the room.

I hope Pharmie got a COOL cake pan. I got one for Christmas that looks like a huge Oreo cookie.

Have a Happy Valentine's Day you two lovebirds!

Velma 9:10 AM, February 14, 2010  

Very cool and thoughtful gift!

Jen 3:05 PM, February 14, 2010  

I got my hubby 40 lbs of weights that he wanted. We're romantic too.

Christi 5:22 PM, February 14, 2010  

I think you got her a great Valentines Day gift!

Beth 7:11 PM, February 14, 2010  

Very nice! I think that red looks poppin' next to that beautiful quilt. Very romantic.

Amytrigirl (aka Amybee) 8:20 PM, February 14, 2010  

I think your gifts were great...Love what you did to the room too.

gene 8:29 AM, February 15, 2010  

Congrats! Shelf looks great. Laquer it so the shine detracts from the red....

Anonymous,  7:55 AM, February 17, 2010  

Hmmmm, is it just me or does that gift look like a luge sled?

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.