Two Killer Run Workouts

>> Saturday, August 28, 2010

10 days ago is when I did that hard hilly run. It was the next day that my heel was telling me to ease back a bit. I babied it, and was able to do my foggy hard run last weekend at my parent’s house in southern Minnesota last weekend.

I had an easier run early this week, and then 2 hard runs on Thursday and today (Saturday).

Thursday’s Workout: 8 x 3 minutes HARD. This didn’t sound so bad at first glace. Then I realized that that HARD time and the EASY time would add up, and I’d be running quite a while. I ran straight through for 1:09:57, and it was HARD to not stop and walk for a moment after intervals 6, 7, and 8. All-in-all, it was 10 miles of straight running. And my heel felt OK!

Saturday’s Workout: long run with 2 x 10 minutes HARD near the beginning. I woke up today with an achy heel. It wasn’t bad, just “annoyed.” I was worried about my upcoming 75:00 run. I stretched it well, massaged it a little, and made like a baby and headed out.

I don’t run with a Garmin or anything, so I had no idea how far I’d be running over those 10:00. I started at one of my mile markers so I’d at least have a 1 mile split. That split was 5:50, so I knew I was moving well! Post-run, I mapped it out, and I had gone 1.69 miles over those 10:00 - that’s an average of 5:55 / mile.



[Note: I didn’t have such a valley to go in and out of as seen at the far side of the elevation chart. I think that would have been the true elevation had I jumped off the Franklin Ave Bridge, ran across the water, and then climbed back up on the other side as opposed to taking the bridge. Call me old-fashioned, but I chose to take the bridge.]

After a few minutes of easy running, I had another hard 10:00 to do. Mapping that run out afterwards, I found that I went 1.70 miles. CONSISTENT!!! Awesome!!


North to south, with a little loop back at the southern edge.

I had 5 more miles of “zone 2” running to do, and I did those in 6:37, 7:05, 6:41, 7:01, and 7:14 (easing up the Marshall hill for the last mile). Those final 5 miles were a LITTLE hard, but they weren’t “tempo” pace or anything. I kept telling myself this while running those final miles: “Remember Steve, this is what EASY feels like. You CAN go harder. THIS is EASY. E-A-S-Y.”

With everything tallied up, I ran 11.13 miles in 1:15:09.

I got home, stretched a bit (my heel was just a LITTLE sore, but it held up well!!), and then got ready for an ice bath:


All the ice in my fridge, 6 small Rubbermaid containers of ice, and 1 large Rubbermaid.


Becoming one with the ice.


Shrinkage.


The ice cubes melting and big ice blocks out of their containers.

13 minutes in an ice bath will heal what ails you! ;) When I got downstairs, I found Kermit high on the funk that was given off by the shirt I used on my run to wipe the sweat off my body:


Seriously, my swass is like crack to her.
Only, as you can see, it doesn’t suppress her appetite like crack would.... ;)

OK, time to work on some syllabi, pick up the house, and massage my heel a bit. Happy weekend everyone!!

11 comments:

Unknown 4:40 PM, August 28, 2010  

Your cat is really weird. I'm sure you know that though. Its not that your cat just sits on your sweaty shirts/shorts, it has this creepy look on it's face too...

Adrienne 5:56 PM, August 28, 2010  

Those runs sound like death! Glad you just ran over the bridge and didn't take the plunge!

Amanda 8:32 PM, August 28, 2010  

Its so funny because my cats do the same thing...they fight over who gets to sit on my swass gear...it seems like the nastier the shirt the more they like it.

Vision 10:56 PM, August 28, 2010  

That's a nice workout!!

choohooo 11:31 PM, August 28, 2010  

Are you running with your iPhone? Is that how you are mapping or do you just guesstimate your route when you get home? Just curious what you are using to track...I'm obviously in the market

Steve Stenzel 6:02 AM, August 29, 2010  

choohooo, I don't have anything more than I watch that I run with. (I'm talking NOTHING - I run nude!) So I just note where I started and ended, and then I use mapmyrun.com to plot out the points afterward.

Matt 6:14 AM, August 29, 2010  

Good to see you out there too! Sometime, though, we should have a conversation that lasts longer than the time it takes to pass by each other ;-)

CoachLiz 9:07 AM, August 29, 2010  

Please tell me you do not run nude! Well, you don't because then Kermit would not have Swassy shorts to roll in.

Good Job!

Anonymous,  3:05 PM, August 29, 2010  

Been reading your blog for a while and know you are "kinda" funny but, the comment about Kermit and how swass doesn't suppress his appetite made me LOL!!

Oh, and nice job on the training. I'm definitely following to see how TCM10 pans out for you. Good luck!!

E-Speed 11:56 AM, August 31, 2010  

ooh i am going to have to steal your ice block trick. I have been spending $4 on 22 bags of ice almost everyday and it is killing me!

Clarkie 4:33 PM, September 07, 2010  

One of my cats does the same thing. And heaven forbid if I have the socks still on my feet--she attacks them like her life depended upon it.

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.