Lots of Swimming = Lots of Kicking

>> Saturday, October 26, 2019

I've been swimming 3x/week the last 11 weeks since being injured. (Except I skipped 2 swims early on to make sure more rest wasn't going to help, and I missed 3 swims over the last 2 weeks: 1 due to being home with a sick kid, and 2 while we were gone on our "8 state parks" trip.) I noted that last month was a PR distance month.

I've been working on my drills a bit too. My middle swim each week has contained 2-3 different drills. Right now, they've mainly been simple "pull" or "kick" drills. A few times, I did some kick drills that work as breathing drills as well.

I've been curious how much I've been "kicking" lately, so I took a look today. I posted at the end of 2016 that I ended with a lot of kicking, saying "and 2016 is EASILY the most kicking I've done in a year." That was 6,700 yards of kicking over the last half of the year (when I only swam 46,000 yards all year, when this year I've swam 45,000 yards since the first of LAST MONTH).

October (this month), I've kicked for 2,000 yards.

September, I kicked 3,925 yards.

And the last part of August (after being injured in mid-Aug), I kicked for 900 yards.

That's 6,825 yards of kicking in the last 11 weeks. Kinda puts 2016 to shame.

I looked back through the rest of Aug and all of July just for fun, and I've had 8,325 yards of just kicking in the last 4 months. I know, I know... not much for a "swimmer," but good for *me.*

I'd like to keep that up. Now, if I can only get my foot better so I can start running again!!!

SIDE NOTE: I've been doing my "go to" kick drill at the end of most workouts. It was given to me by the swim coach from our old gym years ago (Andrea from the YWCA of St. Paul). It's 4x75 kicking with a board, with 0:20 rest between. In each 75, do the first 25 "moderate," the middle 25 "hard," and the final 25 "easy." She stressed that it makes you realize the effort you're putting into your kicking.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.