Diarrhea Workouts

>> Monday, April 13, 2015

No, I don't mean "CRAPPY workouts." I literally mean diarrhea. But we'll get to that in a moment. Here's what the past week looked like:

• MONDAY: 49 minutes on the trainer. My favorite 7x (90 sec hard, 90 sec easy) with some more stuff at the end.

• TUESDAY: easy run. First run after the track workout 5 days before. I didn't want to overdo anything after that workout, so I gave my body time.

• WEDNESDAY: 82 minutes on the trainer, and some 300s in the pool. The trainer ride was brutal. I'm usually OK doing some short intervals for like 40 minutes, but this workout contained 3x10 minute tempo, and then a 30 minute tempo. It was a good mental ride. I posted the sweat puddle last Wednesday.

• THURSDAY: 5.5 mile run with the middle 3 at tempo pace. I tweeted just before this run:

I really didn't know if I could hit that pace, but tweeting about it first would make me really shoot for it. I did an out-and-back that started against the wind, so I knew that would only make my "save too much for the final mile" even worse. (Because I'd be bucking the wind for the first 1.5 miles and then using it to push me even faster over the last 1.5 miles.) Well, I nailed my goal: 17:13 with mile splits of 5:54, 5:51, and 5:27.

• FRIDAY: 40x50 in the pool. I love/hate that workout.

Oh, and HERE is when the "diarrhea talk" starts. Friday afternoon, Henry wanted to go down for his nap early. I didn't think anything of it. Then he woke up half way through saying his tummy hurt. A few seconds later, he was vomiting up hot dogs and yogurt from lunch. I instagrammed this photo of us after he'd been sick 4 times:

Poor guy.

He was fine after that, and slept well through the night with no problem. He went from FINE to PRETTY SICK to FINE over the course of about 4-5 hours. But that night, I started having problems. Not "puke" problems, but "butt" problems. I slept great for 2 hours, and then spent the rest of the night on the couch because I was writhing and didn't want to wake Pharmie up. And I was belching and farting while making the living room smell like New Jersey all night. The BAD parts of Jersey.

• SATURDAY: nothing but diarrhea. I wanted to go for a long bike ride, but that would have ended in disaster. Instead, we went to a wedding reception in Mankato (about 90 minutes away) that evening, and I stayed close to the bathroom:

From instagram: "Wedding game strong." It's no surprise we were in a bathroom!

I was in-and-out of that bathroom all night. What the bathroom really needed was this:

Seriously, as a Dad with sometimes unpredictable bowels, this would be GREAT!!

• SUNDAY: 26 mile ride. It was windy yesterday: 20-30 mph winds. NOT GUSTS. But ACTUAL sustained wind speed. Yikes. But Pharmie and I both got out for separate long rides! I took it a bit easy because of my stomach, but it didn't lead to any problems.

The wind was NUTS! My first 5-mile split is usually 14-15 minutes, and it was 17 minutes yesterday! (Because it was into the wind, duh.) The ride had 3 big climbs, and 1 of the climbs was in the middle of a stretch when I was mainly with the wind. That 5-mile split (INCLUDING the big climb) was 13:36, or 22.0 mph. WIND-Y!!

So I THINK my shitting problem is all better. My stomach is still not 100%, but it's on the upswing for sure. I missed a long run, but that's not bad, considering. We'll see where this week leads.


Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!


Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2019 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.