Vacation Workouts

>> Saturday, August 04, 2012

Two weeks ago, Pharmie, Henry, and I left for a family vacation in Alexandria, MN. We got back just in time for the Rice Street Mile a week ago Thursday. I got in a few good workouts up there (including THEE fastest riding I've ever done!), and here are some details.


• SUNDAY, JULY 22nd: 31 mile ride with 5 mile TT effort in the middle.
Pharmie and I left Henry with Grandma, and we both headed out for a nice out-and-bike ride on the trail that starts in Alex.



Pharmie and I rode together for the first 10 miles. I pulled her at a decent pace - she was working. According to my Garmin, we did the first 5 miles in 16:04 (18.7 mph), and the next 5 in 15:48 (19.0 mph).

At mile 10, I pulled away to hammer the next 5 miles as fast as I could. You can clearly see that on my Garmin data:



At the Life Time Fitness Oly Tri last month, my fastest 5 mile split of the 25 mile ride was 13:55 (21.6 mph). I wanted to see if I could get under 13 minutes over these 5 miles in Alex. I was REALLY working, and I was seeing some big numbers. On this flat ride (going up a g-r-a-d-u-a-l hill), I was seeing 27 on my computer quite often.

I finished the "TT effort" 5 miles in 12:01.9, or 1.9 seconds away from a 25.0 mph average!! Officially, it was a 24.966 mph average for those 5 miles! Good effort! I was spent!!

I rode easy, and met up with Pharmie to ride back home. I pulled away near Alex for a few more "moderate" miles (as you can see on my pace graph), and we finished over 31 miles.


Pharmie finishing up her ride back in Alex.


With "Big Ole."


• MONDAY, JULY 23nd: 7 mile easy hilly run with 2 800 meter pick-ups.
I put Henry in the stroller when he needed a nap, and we cruised the quiet paved back-roads near the resort. We looped around so many times that we ran some of the roads 6 times:




Note the 2 half-mile intervals between 5:00 and 5:30 pace.

I was planning on doing 3 pick-ups, but it was hot, it was hilly, and I was kinda beat. I would be racing the Rice Street Mile 3 days later, so I didn't want to overdo it.

And as I was running, I realized that it was a year ago on these same roads that I took Henry for his first run with me!! Here's the post from a year ago that shows photos of him on our first run. Wow... what a year it's been!


• TUESDAY, JULY 24th: no workout, just this:


Me and my brother-in-law Dave. We didn't "stick the landing."

And this:


My nephew and niece!


• WEDNESDAY, JULY 25th: 1,850 yard open-water swim:
Well, we WERE staying 50 feet from a lake, so I had BETTER find time for a swim. I headed along the shore and drifted a bit towards the middle of the lake. Here's a photo Pharmie took, and she SWEARS I'm right in the middle:


Ah yes... there I am...


Wrapping up the swim - you can see my arm sticking up right in the middle.




Here are 3 more photos from our vacation:


Henry with his cousins after we went on a little wagon ride!


Pharmie and Henry in Lake Mary. Look at how hot my wife is. Look.


Teaching my boy how to relax! I love this! :)

Back with a quick giveaway early next week! Happy weekend!!

3 comments:

Unknown 12:30 PM, August 05, 2012  

Your wife does look totally awesome! Do share her ab workout.

Anonymous,  2:04 PM, August 06, 2012  

And now I have to go to confession, for committing adultery by lusting after your wife!!

Peter Deen,  7:41 AM, August 16, 2012  

In the last photo it kinda looks like Henry's arm is disappearing into your stomach, Pilsbury Doughboy style...maybe relaxing a little too much lately Steve? Lol!

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.