It's Been Proven Before: I Look Horrible in Race Photos

>> Wednesday, September 14, 2011

If you remember, I did the Lake Marion Tri a few weeks ago with Justin and Matt. THEY look great in the photos. I do not.

Here, let me prove it to you.

These are the "official" photos from the race. Here's one of Matt getting into the zone:



Here's Justin talking with someone who went to his college:



And here's one of me eating a PowerBar in the MOST CREEPY WAY possible:


WTF?

My horrible photos don't stop at pre-race. At the end of the swim, here's Justin hitting the beach for the FIRST TIME in his FIRST TRI:




This is his first race and he already looks like a wetsuit model! Sheesh.
I mean, really - this looks like it could be an ad!

Sure, when Matt exited the water, he didn't look GREAT...





... but at least he didn't look like he's pausing to steal the soul of nearby children. Because that's apparently what I'm doing:


Crazy eyes. (And yes, that's Matt right behind me!)

You could tell Justin was a noobie when he ran up the beach. He STARTS getting his wetsuit off....



.... but then he stops stripping his wetsuit to cheer for his cheering section!



Matt daintily took his swim split:



And I still kinda had my crazy eyes:



On the bike, the race photographer got COOL PHOTOS of Justin and Matt:




Seriously, one of the coolest photos ever of Matt!

I just got "normal," boring photos from straight on:


(My left ankle always goes wide like that...)



Side note: I found a forum about a year ago where people were wondering why race photographers didn't take bike photos like those of Justin and Matt. We can clearly see that those 2 photos are way cooler than the ones of me from straight on. Being a BFA and MFA trained photographer, I was going to give my 2 cents, but someone else had given my exact explanation before I had a chance to answer. With the "normal, straight-on" photos, the race photographer can zoom in and take a handful of photos of each athlete (I think I had 4 or 5 of me from this race). But with the "profile zooming by" bike shot like Matt and Justin got, the photographer literally has 1 shot to make it work. And if there's a small pack of bikers, it's pretty much impossible to get everyone individually as they go by. So I just want to note that and say that I'm not really complaining that I got a "normal" photo on the bike. OK, back to your regularly scheduled post.

On to the run... Here's Justin excited to be nearing the end of his first tri:



Matt looked a little rough in the final sprint, but that's because he was getting ready to puke:



My first run photo looks OK. In fact, my leg looks all muscly and strong:


Just before mile 3 of the 5K run

But then I have an awkward about-to-hit-my-watch-while-easing-up-on-my-pace photo:



Well, it looks like that will do it for my multisport season. All I've been doing lately is running (no swimming or biking), but I suppose that's OK being the TC 10 Mile is under 3 weeks away! More on that soon...

11 comments:

Christi 8:09 AM, September 14, 2011  

You have perfected the 'pirate' pose. I really want a photo of me in that position!

Kim 8:19 AM, September 14, 2011  

im seriously laughing my ass off at your swimming photos and your captions.

Lauren H.,  8:23 AM, September 14, 2011  

This post just had me looking like a jack-ass (more than usual) at work for laughing alone in my office! He who embrace the awkward gets laid often. Probably not true, but it sounds good right?

Steve Stenzel 8:32 AM, September 14, 2011  

"He who embrace the awkward gets laid often." I WISH this were the case! Ha! :)

And Christi, yeah, I thought my "pirate" pose in the second to last photo was pretty good.... :)

Sara Cox Landolt 9:21 AM, September 14, 2011  

I love the crazy eyes! Thanks for sharing the crazy.

Shelby 10:00 AM, September 14, 2011  

LOL you should see some of my pics. Utterly horrible and awful. NICE shorts HAHA! So colorful!

SteveQ 10:20 AM, September 14, 2011  

That first photo of you: pure Cletus "Gosh, you sure is purty!" That's the best creepy one since the "pedophile" mustache photo.

Gerry 3:40 AM, September 15, 2011  

Oh my gawd, I totally looked like I was skiving off work because I just burst into laughter and couldn't stop giggling like a little girl for the last minute or so!

stefanoSTRONG 6:19 AM, September 15, 2011  

honestly steve, you don't look horrible ONLY in race...

:-DDDDDDDDDDD

Chic Runner 12:25 PM, September 16, 2011  

Loving the pics! Cmon Steve.. get your race pics model like! :)

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.