The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

>> Saturday, September 03, 2011

THE GOOD:

Pharmie is racing the St. Croix Valley Sprint Triathlon tomorrow!! I'm really excited for her! I'll be tweeting updates from the race (if time allows [and if Henry allows!]), so keep checking my twitter sidebar here on my blog tomorrow morning for updates! (Or, just follow me on Twitter.)


Pharmie and Henry before her first postpartum ride last week


THE BAD:

I just got back from a long with with Ross (who was shown a lot in my last post). We ate each other up! It was a good, solid run! We looped all through the Highland and Mac/Groveland neighborhoods for about 11.9 miles:



I'm putting this under "the bad" because my last few long runs have put things in perspective for me: there's NO HOPE of going sub-60 this year at the TC 10 Mile, and I may even have a hard time doing anything but a Personal Worst. I'm happy to be running, but my running hasn't been happy with me. (Today, I had to ease up with about 2 miles left, and then I had to walk again with about a mile left.)


THE UGLY:

I've had some foot pain over the last 3 weeks. It started to hurt before the Lake Marion Tri, and that race made it a bit worse. I don't THINK it's a stress fracture (I think it's a tendon / ligament issue), but who knows. There's no redness or swelling, but this is where it hurts:



It used to not hurt while running, but it would be SORE the morning after a run - it would ACHE laying in bed the morning after a run. Now it even hurts on run (ESPECIALLY on the downhills), and it's even a little worse the next day. But after 2 days of rest, it feels a lot better. I'm pretty much just running every 3 days so I don't really hurt something. Any thoughts from anyone out there who's had similar pain? What is this? Any advice would be great! (I'm icing after running and in the evenings.)

Off to the races tomorrow to cheer for Pharmie!! Twelve-week-old Henry and I will both be there!

9 comments:

Greg 8:08 PM, September 03, 2011  

I got the same injury after running in my five fingers at the beginning of the season. I iced it several times a day for two weeks and stopped running hard in the five fingers. I also stopped tying my laces too tight on my running shoes and that helped.

trimybest 11:53 PM, September 03, 2011  

Do you tie your laces too tight or run on a slippery surface? I had a very similar a few years ago and it sucked. I couldnt run at all. My coach at the time had me using the eliptical. After 3 weeks I could run normally again.

runkerrierun 6:46 AM, September 04, 2011  

I'm thinking it's laces too. Try lacing it straight up the sides (instead of over the arch) in the middle, & then back over the arch at the ankle (also do a lace lock by putting the lace into that extra hole at the very top, on the same side, to keep your foot in place). I've had this & it took about 3 weeks to a month to be totally normal after I tied my racing flats too tight.

Thomas 9:07 AM, September 04, 2011  

3rd on laces. Changed my lacing scheme on one foot end the issue went away for me. Ran for years with no issue and then poof!? So the lacing fixed it for me.

DJBurton65 9:32 PM, September 04, 2011  

If it is laces you might try Yanks - I used to have problems at the end of a run when my feet would swell a little - the elastic allows them to adjust. But I would still go to see a sports doc - I love Tria in Bloomington. They can tell you if it is a stress fracture and tell you the best way to deal with it if it isn't.

Tiffa 11:07 PM, September 04, 2011  

I had that same pain before and it wasn't laces too tight. I had an x-ray and there were no fractures but I stopped running for 10 days and iced/tensored it and it was fine. In hindsight I realized I actually injured it when I fell cross country skiing. Hope you feel better soon.

Anita Baker 10:49 AM, September 05, 2011  

the same thing happened to me and the dr said it was a pinched or aggrivated nerve and to stop with the tight laces.

RunningLaur 10:57 PM, September 06, 2011  

ok, I know I'm way late on this, but where you're pointing to is right where I had pain in my foot following San Fran Marathon, and for me it's paratendonitis (basically tendonitis but in the sheath / fluid around the tendon instead of the actual tendon itself). It took a few days to hurt after the race, and then it did like a mother. Hurt especially when I'd walk on it cold (like off of an airplane or out of bed) and throbbed for a night or two while I was doing nothing at all. (Note, this is the same thing that I have in my heel, it's just 'spread.')

Given your prior heel injury, location of the pain (it's too far from your metatarsals to be a stress fracture, that's a big chunk of bone there, a stress fracture would be closer to your toes a bit), and the downhill pain, I'd say you probably have some level of tendonitis as well. My sports doc said ice like crazy, anti-inflammatory like crazy, and stretch - which all seem like typical tendonitis treatment. Further action like 'scraping' and manipulation can be done too, but that costs money.

Hope it's healing up for you!

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.