Workout Updates and Rural Girl Sighting in MN

>> Friday, March 21, 2008

Tuesday was a heck of a day. It started with a quick lunch with speedy WI triathlon buddy, Rural Girl. We met up at the Mall of America where she was shopping for hoochie concert digs for a Bon Jovi concert:



She’s been to something like 613 Bon Jovi concerts because she’s not-so-secretly in love with Jon Bon Jovi. It’s probably for the best that she’s happily married with a few kids, because her kids with Bon Jovi would look like this...


...and that’s just nasty.

Then I drove home 2 hours to my parents place to spend the night. I needed to get in my 12 mile run for the week, so I planned to do it down there. I stopped at a convenience store in Wells for some quick pre-run fuel. I looked for Powerbars or some sort of gel, but they had nothing. So I settled for a DELICIOUS Cow Tail.


I LOVE THESE!

I stretched and headed out on my run. Here was my boring, boring route:



I ran a big loop from my parent’s home, into Wells, and back out again. It was 6 miles of gravel and 6 miles of highway. The last 4 miles were into the wind and VERY mentally challenging. There are NO HOMES in the last 2.5 miles of the run, so all I saw was Mom and Dad’s place SLOWLY getting closer and closer. It was tough. But I didn’t stop to walk once, and I finished in 1:27:58 (7:20/mile).

It was a hazy day, so I basically got to the edge of the haze and turned right. Repeat that a few times, and boom: 12 miles.



After the run, my feet were pretty sore. I had a few small pieces of gravel hop in my shoes. I also noticed that I didn’t grab my “Sunday best” when I was picking out socks:



And guess what that hole led to? That’s right, a nice little blister:



And then the next day, my Dad had all of his seed corn delivered for spring planting, but the truck driver forgot a ramp. So we unstacked and restacked 10,000 to 15,000 pounds of bagged seed corn. That counts as cross-training!

Last week, my long run was 10 miles, and I did that in 1:08:11 (6:49/mile). The 10-miler was in the Cities where it was not as windy and I could run on paved surfaces.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

So I’ve been doing pretty good on the long runs in my training program, and I’ve actually been ENJOYING the speed work as well. Yesterday, I did my intervals for the week. I’ve been running all my intervals along Summit Ave in St. Paul where the stoplights are a half-mile apart and it’s easy to map out a route.

• 3 weeks ago, I did 6x800 meters with 2:50 average (75 seconds rest).
• 2 weeks ago, I did 8x400 meters with 1:13 average (75 seconds rest).
• Last week, I did 4x1200 meters with 4:14 average (90 seconds rest).
• Yesterday, I did 8x800 meters with a 2:43 average (75 seconds rest) and my second interval was 2:34!

Intervals SUCK while I’m running them, but I always feel so great afterward! I may run a 5K this Sunday before going to my Grandma’s house for Easter, mostly because I’m curious how I could do in a 5K after just a few weeks of this speed work. If I were to run the same pace as I ran in the 8K last weekend, I would PR. And I think I can go faster! Happy Easter! If you’re reading from central to south Minnesota, enjoy the fresh snow!

29 comments:

Lily on the Road 10:06 AM, March 21, 2008  

Just catching up...great race for you and Pharmie, way to go!

That's one mean looking mother of a razor. You're a brave man to "face" that thing....

Look after those blister, yikes they look sore....

and finally, enjoy your Easter with your Grandmother, family and friends. Enjoy your time, kick back and have fun....

Happy Easter

Afternoon Tea With Oranges 10:25 AM, March 21, 2008  

I'm digging the Photoshop skills...if that was even photoshop...hilarious picture!!!

And yeah, I'd say loading and unloading that bagged seed corn counts for some awesome cross training!

Danielle in Iowa in Ireland 10:49 AM, March 21, 2008  

I heart cowtails too!

But I don't recommend Cadbury cream eggs as a mid-run snack.

J~Mom 11:04 AM, March 21, 2008  

That definitely counts as cross training!

Bill Carter 11:21 AM, March 21, 2008  

Nice 12er... and if that is the kind of scenery you had to look at (Pic #5) I can't imagine what you thought about as you ran...

P.O.M. 11:35 AM, March 21, 2008  

What the heck is a cow tail?

GoBigGreen 11:48 AM, March 21, 2008  

Cow tail=yum.
Ok so for a full day of tennis including one 5 set mens match and one 3 set womens match..that comes to about...10-12 hours give or take. Lets see, what do you do that takes about that long...hmm...an IM?! Yes, bingo.
I set the tapes (ancient VCR) and then presto, trainer time with tennis on. Espec when it is snowing AGAIN!

GoBigGreen 11:50 AM, March 21, 2008  

sorry missed this one, but where is the 5k? Is it a Pharmie SS 5k or is it open to the public that lives in your zip code. (me?)

Donald 3:52 PM, March 21, 2008  

You're getting wicked fast - those are very impressive track times.

Jumper 2.0 4:26 PM, March 21, 2008  

No wonder why you get blisters. Get some real socks.

Cotton is the enemy!

Hanes!

Geesh,

Whats next, you gonna wear your underwear on the OUTside?

;-)

ShirleyPerly 5:25 PM, March 21, 2008  

I've always thought that interval workouts were harder than racing. Maybe that's the point, actually ...

Funny photo of the RG!

sRod 7:54 AM, March 22, 2008  

Cow Tail? Sounds gross.

Jess 8:45 AM, March 22, 2008  

I've never heard of cowtails!

triguyjt 12:30 PM, March 22, 2008  

1. what the heck is a cowtale??
2. photoshop..if pharmie and bon jovi hooked up.
3. laughed on the loop map... that had to be monotonous.
4. you are really getting fast..blisters or not

E-Speed 5:04 PM, March 22, 2008  

good luck racing tomorrow if you decide to go!

I feel you on those medium long steady runs, they are rough, but they are going to make us seriously tough!

Brian 6:27 PM, March 22, 2008  

I've never tried a cow tale. I guess I'll have to try it someday. And I second the hanes socks. You gotta dump those. Invest in some decent running socks. They make a huge difference.

brendaj 12:09 AM, March 23, 2008  

Yeah, what's a cow tail??

Michelle 5:41 AM, March 23, 2008  

You are SO FAST!!! I hope you do the 5K on Sunday.

Nice pic by the way....totally freaked me out when I first saw it!

It was so great to see you and Pharmie. Next meet up....WIBA!!

SingletrackJenny (formerly known as IronJenny) 4:05 PM, March 23, 2008  

Love the photoshop!!!!!!!! Just wondering, was that HAIR on your arms in the self-group picture? Doesn't your cat like you anymore?
;-)

Rainmaker 10:03 PM, March 23, 2008  

Very nice 10-miler, especially given the hard to judge speed/distance limitations with running in the middle of nowhere.

healthy ashley 11:26 PM, March 23, 2008  

Oww! Your blister looks like it hurts!

Great job on your run. It's making my new achievement seem just a tad bit less fancy!

RunBubbaRun 5:57 AM, March 24, 2008  

Now what is a "cow's tail"? don't have that hear in the windy city..

Dang, your are blazin the road, your trainin runs are even fast.

jahowie 9:11 AM, March 24, 2008  

That was a very scary pic!! Funny though. Nice job on the run. Treat yourself to some new socks!!

Dana 9:51 AM, March 24, 2008  

Uhh..interesting pic of Rural Girl..;-) Nice job on the 12miler.

Anonymous,  1:19 PM, March 24, 2008  

Cowtails....yumm!

Oh yeah, that counts as cross-training. My father-in-law used to make my husband move a big pile of dirt with a shovel to a new spot in the yard when he was in trouble as a teen (don't know why I thought of that??)

I bet you could PR for sure :)

Meg 7:08 PM, March 24, 2008  

Thanks for sending me the link to your PSA! I actually came across that a few months ago when I was haphazardly searching through running blogs. Great advice! I don't know if I have any smiley face boxers though! :)

CoachLiz 12:13 AM, March 25, 2008  

dude!

Get some better socks. Move up to cool-max. No wonder your feet look that crummy.

Cow-Tails, that carmeley, nouget stuff. Choco and vanilla, yes? I have not seen one of those in a while, but I know where I can buy one in H-town. It is the same place that I can buy a Charleston Chew, Slo Pokes, and and Chuckles...Dylan's Candy Bar at the Galleria.

Jade Lady 12:54 PM, March 26, 2008  

Ooh..that's a scary pic! Cow-tails - never heard of them - I guess not a Southwesten thing. Sounds yummy!

As for the socky, I'm glad u showed that to me. Time to throw out the thinning sockies in my dresser before I get one of those blisties!

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.