Marathon Training Has Started!

>> Tuesday, March 11, 2008

That’s right folks! Last week, Pharmie, her sister Steph, and myself officially started training for Grandmas Marathon. We are trying this program called “FIRST” which only has you run 3 days a week (which is great for triathletes). Each week, there’s a long run, a tempo run, and an interval day. The program emphasizes getting the most out of every workout: for example, our long runs for the week shouldn’t just be a run to “go the distance.” They should be relatively hard (at half-marathon pace). I think I’m going to like this program. It’s the way I normally like to run. And then on our days off, we’re supposed to cross-train relatively hard (lift, swim, bike, etc). Well, that’s what we’d normally be doing anyway, so I think it will be a good fit. I never thought I’d be so excited to start training for a marathon! We’ll see if this excitement lasts...

The weather is finally looking like it’s going to be kind to runners. On Saturday, I did a 10-miler (in 68 minutes!) in the morning when it was 1 degree with a 13 below windchill. I got done, and my hat and face were a little frosty:



Today, I did 4 x 1200 for my interval workout, and I wore SHORTS! It was 47 degrees! I actually had to wipe the sweat out of my eye during my fourth interval! And this was the first my legs have seen the light of day since the Tesfa 5K over 4 months ago! Warning: Pastie Leg Alert! Pastie Leg Alert! They’re sooo white!


OH THE HUMANITY!!

I other news, I have a birthday on Thursday. Puberty, here I come! I can’t wait for my first chest hair and to start noticing girls. Right now, girls are still icky. Just kidding. Anyway, I’ll be going for gold in the B-Fit B-Day Challenge. If you haven’t heard of it, you should sign up too! Here are the rules of the Challenge:

Take your age and:
1) Swim the number of miles in the first number,
2) Run the number of miles in the second number,
3) Bike the number of miles in the combined number.

If you choose to accept the B-Fit B-Day Challenge you must....

Bronze: Do all three (swim/bike/run) during the week of your Birthday.
Silver: Do all three (swim/bike/run) in the three days before, after, or on your B-Day.
Gold: Do all three (swim/bike/run) in 24-hours to celebrate your B-Day!

So, like I said, I’ll be going for the gold. I have to teach a class at the U of M from about 9 - noon, so I plan to get up early for my swim. Then I’ll go to Minneapolis to teach, come back home and bike, and then hit the run. The swim will nearly be Ironman distance, and the bike and run are just a little longer than an Olympic Tri. Check back Thursday night or Friday to see how I did! I’ll have photos to prove what I’ve done!

28 comments:

trimybest 11:57 AM, March 11, 2008  

wow that sounds like a great way to celebrate your birthday. this year i plan on heading to pensylvania to run a marathon on my birthday! i hope it works out. happy birthday!

TJ 12:16 PM, March 11, 2008  

good luck with the marathon training and the bday challenge.

Marcy 12:42 PM, March 11, 2008  

I dig the FIRST program. It's a tad intense but I dig it for the 3 days a week running too ;-)

CoachLiz 1:43 PM, March 11, 2008  

The Birthday Challenge is great the younger you are. Poor Bigun has to swim 4 miles for his Birthday Challenge. I can almost hear the little violins playing in the background...

Kim 2:35 PM, March 11, 2008  

two more days till your birthday and one week until my birthday! but unfortunately ill be drinking my age in beers instead of doing any sort of working out!

J~Mom 2:55 PM, March 11, 2008  

I am doing the challenge next week. I am going for bronze! I will have little video updates! :>P

SM 3:18 PM, March 11, 2008  

I signed up for that challenge too. I am glad my birthday is in July, nice warm weather. Good Luck!

Lily on the Road 3:51 PM, March 11, 2008  

Yup, I'm too old for the birthday challenge for sure....good luck with it...you'll rock....

Unknown 4:45 PM, March 11, 2008  

Sounds like a great plan.
Have a great birthday and enjoy the challenge!

Bigun 8:11 PM, March 11, 2008  

those aren't shorts...they are pants pulled up.

Fe-lady 8:39 PM, March 11, 2008  

Happy Birthday...I am trying to figure out just HOW OLD you are, you spring chicken, you...(and you've got the legs to live up to that name!) :-0

brendaj 8:51 PM, March 11, 2008  

there's no way i could swim that much on my bday!

Jennifer P 9:01 PM, March 11, 2008  

I'm so glad to only be 30.

Jennifer P 9:02 PM, March 11, 2008  

Shit, I'll be 31. Man, I can't even remember how old I am.

Kellye Mills 9:12 PM, March 11, 2008  

Ok... so if I'm turning the big 3..0.. This year, does that mean I have to swim 3 miles, run 0 miles, and bike only 3?? Seriously, how does that work? :)

Bill Carter 8:31 AM, March 12, 2008  

Dude, that is one fast 10 miler. I am relieved to hear that I am not the only one who is going to enjoy the REAL BENEFITS of impending puberty.. it is right around the corner for me as well.

I'm going to get to Grandma's someday... I've heard that if you have to go 26.2 it is not a bad gig.

Best of luck with your training.

Anonymous,  9:22 AM, March 12, 2008  

That sounds like the perfect marathon training program for you. Have fun training!

Happy Birthday, and good luck with the challenge :)

Jade Lady 9:35 AM, March 12, 2008  

Eek - that's quite a challenge! Go for that gold! Pasty leg alert - you're too funny. Honestly, I don't know how you manage to get out in that frigid weather!

Dana 9:42 AM, March 12, 2008  

The FIRST training plan sounds interesting(may look into for myself once I'm done w/ my race & I'm healed). Man,that's DEFINITELY a challenge! Go for that gold,Steve!

GoBigGreen 12:01 PM, March 12, 2008  

Hey My best marathon was done on about that training plan. Under 50 miles/week most weeks and i smoked it. I think you have a winning plan. Of course i was about 10+ years younger but who's counting, more reason to cut out junk miles.

greyhound 2:16 PM, March 12, 2008  

Yeah, I'll be swimming the first number in my age as soon as I'm 20 again.

Iron Krista, "The Dog Mom" 4:19 PM, March 12, 2008  

Is that program from Runner's World? Sounds like the same one I used for St. George Marathon this year. It's PERFECT!

teacherwoman 7:51 PM, March 12, 2008  

Good luck with the marathon training. I look forward to reading more about... that and your first puberty hair! haha

P.S. the warmer temps are here to stay?!

Unknown 6:35 AM, March 13, 2008  

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Hope it's a great one.

tracie 8:43 AM, March 13, 2008  

happy bday!!!! enjoy!

Brian 1:23 PM, March 13, 2008  

I plan on doing a half iron 2 days before my bday. So I just need to add almost 2 more miles to the swim and I can get a Silver.

Good luck with the marathon training. I might go with that 3 day a week plan as well.

Mnowac 3:46 PM, March 13, 2008  

Happy birthday. I am going for the gold in the b-day challenge too. My birthday isn't until June though so it should be fun. I'll swim 2, bike 29 and then run 9. Yikes.

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.